Devialet Chat
New beta firmware 7.1.3 released - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet News (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-News)
+--- Thread: New beta firmware 7.1.3 released (/Thread-New-beta-firmware-7-1-3-released)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

RE: New beta firmware 7.1.3 released - Hifi_swlon - 05-May-2015

(05-May-2015, 20:34)Vivialet Wrote: so lets assume we all are experienced listeners. What could cause our different results ?
I use an 800 via AIR / Wifi and SAM and I clearly prefer 7.1.3. Maybe we can find what those have in common who like or dislike the new version. For me it is exacly the opposite of what flyer and xlrxlr wrote...
Or maybe a new power supply programming is causing some speakers to sound better and others not.

My guess is there are so many variables - not least, aside from the kit, each individuals ears - that this would be a tricky one. My guess is any change that's more than remotely subtle is going to disrupt some people as they might have their systems in perfect balance, or like me perhaps be riding on the edge of an issue- like brightness- that a new sound could push over the edge. Of course, it could just need a fair bit of time to adjust.

Did those that prefer the new firmware perhaps feel that their systems were very slightly lacking in treble emphasis /clarity before, and sounded just a little tame? In those cases, even if it were subtle, a firmware described as the current one has been could probably just swing the system into perfect balance?

How different do the different models sound? Has anyone been lucky enough to hear them all the way up to 800 in the same room and same source/speakers? Maybe that alone is enough to give a diverse view?

RE: New beta firmware 7.1.3 released - Pim - 05-May-2015

(05-May-2015, 20:34)Vivialet Wrote: so lets assume we all are experienced listeners. What could cause our different results ?
I use an 800 via AIR / Wifi and SAM and I clearly prefer 7.1.3. Maybe we can find what those have in common who like or dislike the new version. For me it is exacly the opposite of what flyer and xlrxlr wrote...
Or maybe a new power supply programming is causing some speakers to sound better and others not.

Besides all speakers being different, So are our ears. So if you're a bit deaf in the high frequencies you would welcome a bit more high, making it sound more transparent. If you're not, then the highs can obscure the rest of the details in the music to your ears. 

And we're not even sure yet that there actually is a change... are we?

RE: New beta firmware 7.1.3 released - Rufus McDufus - 05-May-2015

(05-May-2015, 21:24)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Did those that prefer the new firmware perhaps feel that their systems were very slightly lacking in treble emphasis /clarity before, and sounded just a little tame? In those cases, even if it were subtle, a firmware described as the current one has been could probably just swing the system into perfect balance?

In my case this is the case and the treble emphasis/clarity is welcome. It wasn't particularly noticeably bad before but the tonal change is to my liking.

RE: New beta firmware 7.1.3 released - ogs - 05-May-2015

Just a brief comment on my reply to Stigmater.  The USB cable I use is not even near esoteric. With the Regen removed I have 'more' treble. Maybe enough to tip a neutral system over the edge. The Regen cleans up a lot.
Actually when the treble harshness is so obvious it may even be digital clipping... if that is the case I do not have any explanation why some experience this and some don't. I am probably mistaken here, but if this is so I am sure Devialet will fix it in a release version.

RE: New beta firmware 7.1.3 released - Yippedidou - 05-May-2015

Very good points discussed here. I too prefer the 7.1.3. I have an Aurender X100 as well and dont experience the harshness in the highs others have reported. I tought I was sensible to harsh highs but maybe my ears are tricking me here, being less sensible than before, very possible. Also, yes, I tought the sound was a little bit dull with 7.1.1 so the perceived increase in dynamics (as others reported) too is welcome for me. To be honest, the variable we dont control is each ones ears and taste in sound. To each his own, the important thing being if you like it or not and for that, you are the only judge....

RE: New beta firmware 7.1.3 released - Vivialet - 05-May-2015

my system is neutrally sounding with 7.1.1 and 7.1.3, but the new version brings out more details and also sounds more relaxed. I have some special tracks that I always use to check the tonal balance and possible harshness, e.g. 'Leaving the Citi' from Roisin Murphy. This is a very good recording but can sound very harsh and shrill if your setup has any problems. With 7.1.3 this sounds much clearer and has lost the last harshness it still had with 7.1.1.
But of course this change could break other systems. So if 8.0 gets the SQ from 7.1.1 back then I have to live with a beta firmware...or Devialet makes the parameters adjustable that influence the SQ...

RE: New beta firmware 7.1.3 released - moreno1973 - 05-May-2015

One thing is 100% sure... Now I can listen much more music with just -25 or -30 dB... With others versions of firmware it was typically -20 with rock music and even -15 with classical.
So now music is much more cleaner and All details are louder...
In my case bass is better.

I don't see any problem to use 7.1.3 in future if 8.0 will be less musical...

In my case now I have the best sound of 200 in my Home.

RE: New beta firmware 7.1.3 released - Rufus McDufus - 06-May-2015

I'm definitely seeing lower volume settings too. This was starting to get to be a bit of a problem for me with 7.1.1 when I saw it was into the +5 or even +10dB for some quiet classical recordings (and at 'normal' listening volumes). I'm seeing about a 10dB difference with 7.1.3. Temperature are about the same. I did have communication with Devialet about the volume issues. It's not impossible others did and there's been some sort of modification in this area?

RE: New beta firmware 7.1.3 released - bernardl - 06-May-2015

Hi there,

I personnally find 7.1.3 to be a major improvement in my set-up. I have only tested USB that has been my main connection method since Air ethernet became totally unstable.

My souce is a Mac Mini running the latest release of Audirvana and speakers are Wilson Benesch Vector, unfortunately not yet supported by SAM. Mains are fed by a PS Audio P10.

Cheers,
Bernard

RE: New beta firmware 7.1.3 released - Spindrift - 06-May-2015

Just upgraded to 7.1.3 - agree with the volume observations and especially noticed a more defined sound - more locational details (the hall, movement of the musician, breathing) that makes me suspend disbelief just a little more than with 7.1.1 - good job devialet! I just hope they don't change this with 8 . .

Great forum btw - would have never known about the beta!