Devialet Chat
New beta firmware 7.1.3 released - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet News (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-News)
+--- Thread: New beta firmware 7.1.3 released (/Thread-New-beta-firmware-7-1-3-released)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

RE: New beta firmware 7.1.3 released - Mikeeo - 06-May-2015

(06-May-2015, 00:05)Rufus McDufus Wrote: I'm definitely seeing lower volume settings too. This was starting to get to be a bit of a problem for me with 7.1.1 when I saw it was into the +5 or even +10dB for some quiet classical recordings  (and at 'normal' listening volumes). I'm seeing about a 10dB difference with 7.1.3. Temperature are about the same. I did have communication with Devialet about the volume issues. It's not impossible others did and there's been some sort of modification in this area?

Rufus,

You and others report lower volume settings but I can report no change. Just like you I have a lot of music that need settings of -5 to +5 dB just to play at 'normal' levels. I believe I had this since the introduction of 7.1.1. Before that I usually play at -20 to -10 dB. -10 dB was usually real/live volume setting.
At the moment I think that using the AES/EBU input for my streamer may be part of damping the signal as the riaa seem to be at the same levels since 5.x.x.

However with you guys reporting lower volume settings and I can't see that I have, perhaps it is part of the low efficiency of my Raidho X1, as the definitely need more cranking than my previous MA PL100.

Temps are the same as before/Mike

RE: New beta firmware 7.1.3 released - Rufus McDufus - 06-May-2015

I suddenly wondered if there might've been a sneaky power hike in the firmware upgrade as I know my Raidho C-1.1s are quite a difficult drive too, and perhaps a small hike just tipped the balance somehow, but then I see you're using X-1s (which should be virtually identical to C-1.1) with D400 Mikeeo (I only have D200) so that probably rubbishes that theory!

[edit] - no it doesn't rubbish the theory. I have less power to play with and I'm probably seeing more extreme volume setting requirements than you (i.e needing +5dB or more to maintain listening volume) so a power hike in the new firmware is possible, but then again you have twice as much as me.

[edit2] I am of course talking utter rubbish. It's an absolute value of the power in the config file, not a relative one (i.e 'maximum') so it would specifically need a config file change to hike the power even if they'd put that ability in the firmware.

RE: New beta firmware 7.1.3 released - Mikeeo - 06-May-2015

(06-May-2015, 09:47)Rufus McDufus Wrote: I suddenly wondered if there might've been a sneaky power hike in the firmware upgrade as I know my Raidho C-1.1s are quite a difficult drive too, and perhaps a small hike just tipped the balance somehow, but then I see you're using X-1s (which should be virtually identical to C-1.1) with D400 Mikeeo  (I only have D200) so that probably rubbishes that theory!

[edit] - no it doesn't rubbish the theory. I have less power to play with and I'm probably seeing more extreme volume setting requirements than you (i.e needing +5dB or more to maintain listening volume) so a power hike in the new firmware is possible, but then again you have twice as much as me.

[edit2] I am of course talking utter rubbish. It's an absolute value of the power in the config file, not a relative one (i.e 'maximum') so it would specifically need a config file change to hike the power even if they'd put that ability in the firmware.

Rufus,

As you may now I went from 200 to 400 and I can't say that the power hike was so much to speak about as I didn't feel I could play much louder or anything just that the SQ got more cleaner, tighter bass, less background noise and better dynamic handling (micro) as this had my eyebrows in a rised fashion! D200 is amazing but D400 takes it further in all areas and today I could never go back (I had this session last late summer for a month). The vinyl replay also benefited in a big way by going mono.

The X1 is, I think, an even tougher load but as no info from Raidho or from reviews I am not sure of course. The X1 have a front port and I do think Raidho has constructed it like a small transmission line due to its size and by that it should have a kind impedance and ok efficiency though I feel the efficiency is quite low as I have to crank the volume  to the -5 to + 5 dB at pleasure listning levels.

/Mike

RE: New beta firmware 7.1.3 released - ogs - 06-May-2015

(06-May-2015, 09:47)Rufus McDufus Wrote: I suddenly wondered if there might've been a sneaky power hike in the firmware upgrade as I know my Raidho C-1.1s are quite a difficult drive too, and perhaps a small hike just tipped the balance somehow, but then I see you're using X-1s (which should be virtually identical to C-1.1) with D400 Mikeeo  (I only have D200) so that probably rubbishes that theory!

Many talk about having to use a different volume setting with 7.1.3 than earlier. Is there maybe errors in the code for 7.1.3 that can confuse hardware so a wrong digital level is set? As I said in post 229; if it sounds very harsh it is likely a sign of digital clipping.

Those that use JRiver for playback can easily check this by playing a track that sounds harsh, then in Tools->Options->DSP Studio->Parametric Equalizer->Add.. ->Adjust the volume. Use for example -6dB to have JRiver send audio with lower level. Play the harsh track again. You can probably add 6dB to the volume on your amp to have the same playback loudness. If it now sounds normal there is internal digital clipping for a full level signal.

RE: New beta firmware 7.1.3 released - Vivialet - 06-May-2015

I have also not noticed any change in volume with 7.1.3.

RE: New beta firmware 7.1.3 released - Pim - 06-May-2015

Could it be that the volume change only happens on the 120, 200 and 250 and not on the monos?

BTW, I just had a look at the comment section on the Devialet site and there people are also divided over SQ and 'perceived power increase' And still no word from Le Maison about what they've actually changed... Huh

RE: New beta firmware 7.1.3 released - Divasson - 06-May-2015

I don't think we get more volume: I get more clarity and therefore don't need to listen as loud as I did to get the full message. Also, the music seems more dynamic (not louder) for the same loudness level.

Usually I move the dial to get the "right" volume setting for each record. "Right" is the one that makes me believe that I'm listening to the real thing (and it's really a very narrow range). I have the impression that I tend to listen louder than you guys, since I used to be between -7 (well recorded classical) to -15 goop recordings), and now I find myself playing from -12 to -22 for the same recordings.

RE: New beta firmware 7.1.3 released - misterpete - 06-May-2015

For what it's worth I upgraded and did not like it one bit. To me the sound was thin and brittle with a loss of bass. I reinstalled the old firmware, hey presto! Audio nirvana.

RE: New beta firmware 7.1.3 released - fugazi - 06-May-2015

I am New owner of a D200 for one week now. Yesterday i installed the beta firmware.I cant hear any different between old and New firmware. Thea Both sounds fantastic.

RE: New beta firmware 7.1.3 released - ErikM - 06-May-2015

I find the whole firmware thing totally frustrating.. I had a PS Audio Dac for a few years and the whole firmware up date thing made me nuts.. It always seemed that there was never a real consensus.. Some thought one thing others another..