Devialet Chat
New beta firmware 7.1.3 released - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet News (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-News)
+--- Thread: New beta firmware 7.1.3 released (/Thread-New-beta-firmware-7-1-3-released)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

RE: New beta firmware 7.1.3 released - ogs - 07-May-2015

(07-May-2015, 11:05)runlonger Wrote: Maybe someone with two Devialets would be able to do a double-blind test, with fast switching between the two units. That would give a clearer picture.
But lets have some fun tuning our equipment none the less...  Big Grin

I do not own two Devialets, otherwise I might try this Big Grin
Apart from that, what's flawed in dbt is the fast switching. I hear differences when I play music, not when I switch back and forth. Fast switching is very good at hiding differences. That is probably why you did not hear the difference between 160kbps mp3 and flac, unless the flac was made from the mp3 that is.. Smile

RE: New beta firmware 7.1.3 released - runlonger - 07-May-2015

(07-May-2015, 16:29)ogs Wrote:
(07-May-2015, 11:05)runlonger Wrote: Maybe someone with two Devialets would be able to do a double-blind test, with fast switching between the two units. That would give a clearer picture.

Apart from that, what's flawed in dbt is the fast switching. I hear differences when I play music, not when I switch back and forth. Fast switching is very good at hiding differences. That is probably why you did not hear the difference between 160kbps mp3 and flac, unless the flac was made from the mp3 that is.. Smile

Hehe, I know that there are a lot of fake flac music files around, but trust me and try it yourself. Take one or several lossless files that you really know well and that are truly lossless. Then take a modern mp3-encoder like lame and convert the source files yourself into different bitrates (do not download them from the internet, because they might be bad rips, old encoders or multiple compress files). then compare them with the double-blind test of the ABX-Plugin of Foobar. It is really hard even to distinguish between flac and 128kbs mp3. Please do it, it is really interesting

But of course I listen to flac myself and I will not change that, because mp3 is at best only percieved as good as the original. Why not listen to the original itself? But my old assumption that there would be a big difference was clearly biased by the bad material that you can find on the internet.

Now we are getting a little bit offtopic, but for me the upgrade process just takes to long to really compare the two firmwares.

(07-May-2015, 18:44)runlonger Wrote:
(07-May-2015, 16:29)ogs Wrote:

Hehe, I know that there are a lot of fake flac music files around, but trust me and try it yourself. Take one or several lossless files that you really know well and that are truly lossless. Then take a modern mp3-encoder like lame and convert the source files yourself into different bitrates (do not download them from the internet, because they might be bad rips, old encoders or multiple compress files). then compare them with the double-blind test of the ABX-Plugin of Foobar. It is really hard even to distinguish between flac and 128kbs mp3. Please do it, it is really interesting

But of course I listen to flac myself and I will not change that, because mp3 is at best only percieved as good as the original. Why not listen to the original itself? But my old assumption that there would be a big difference was clearly biased by the bad material that you can find on the internet.

Now we are getting a little bit offtopic, but for me the upgrade process just takes to long to really compare the two firmwares.

Yes this is getting off topic, sorry about that!
I've done my share of ABX. I've some times heard differences in quick switching, but it does not tell me anything about quality. My opinion is that  DBT is flawed. I do not do that any more.

RE: New beta firmware 7.1.3 released - Vivialet - 07-May-2015

try this one to challenge yourself:
https://www.goldenears.philips.com/german/
It includes a comparison of mp3 files against the original. I reached the gold status, but this was a difficoult test. But the test music is not the best to hear the differences between mp3 and uncompressed. With "real" music I can hear the differences without problems. At least sometimes...

RE: New beta firmware 7.1.3 released - ErikM - 07-May-2015

I broke down and installed 7.1.3 today, and to my ears it's better.. noticeably better. I'm hearing an increase in dynamics and the soundstage seems to have gotten a bit bigger. I'm also hearing an increase in air and it seems that there's better separation within the soundstage, better focus so the separation between vocals and instruments are better defined. I also find it's more musical ( terrible descriptor) but after the update when I sat down to listen I didn't want to get and go back to work.. it seemed to draw me in more..  

(07-May-2015, 20:17)ErikM Wrote: I broke down and installed 7.1.3 today, and to my ears it's better.. noticeably better. I'm hearing an increase in dynamics and the soundstage seems to have gotten a bit bigger. I'm also hearing an increase in air and it seems that there's better separation within the soundstage, better focus so the separation between vocals and instruments are better defined. I also find it's more musical ( terrible descriptor) but after the update when I sat down to listen I didn't want to get and go back to work.. it seemed to draw me in more..  

ErikM, a very good description of what the 7.1.3 firmware does. I completely agree. Glad you 'broke down' and did the upgrade.

(07-May-2015, 19:53)Vivialet Wrote: try this one to challenge yourself:
https://www.goldenears.philips.com/german/
It includes a comparison of mp3 files against the original. I reached the gold status, but this was a difficoult test. But the test music is not the best to hear the differences between mp3 and uncompressed. With "real" music I can hear the differences without problems. At least sometimes...

I've read about this test somewhere, but never done it.  Thanks Vivialet
At first I could not get to the site. I removed the https and could connect on ordinary http. Site is extremely slow and sluggish. It required me to log in (create account) to do the challenge. I didn't and left...

RE: New beta firmware 7.1.3 released - blair.athol - 07-May-2015

(07-May-2015, 20:17)ErikM Wrote: I broke down and installed 7.1.3 today, and to my ears it's better.. noticeably better. I'm hearing an increase in dynamics and the soundstage seems to have gotten a bit bigger. I'm also hearing an increase in air and it seems that there's better separation within the soundstage, better focus so the separation between vocals and instruments are better defined. I also find it's more musical ( terrible descriptor) but after the update when I sat down to listen I didn't want to get and go back to work.. it seemed to draw me in more..  

I can only agree to you, this is abslotely what I am listening!!!

RE: New beta firmware 7.1.3 released - Hermanh - 08-May-2015

Well, I am not that impressed.
I quickly reverted to 7.1.1. Less detail and air with 7.1.3. and usb.
Usb is my main connection.
I hope the 8 version will bring better results.

RE: New beta firmware 7.1.3 released - BjornWiman - 08-May-2015

Hi,

I have a similar experience as you, ErikM. More midbass dynamics, better insight on acoustic recordings, the speakers totally disappears and the amplifier feels more powerful on higher levels.

BR Björn