Devialet Chat
New beta firmware 7.1.3 released - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet News (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-News)
+--- Thread: New beta firmware 7.1.3 released (/Thread-New-beta-firmware-7-1-3-released)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

RE: New beta firmware 7.1.3 released - hk6230 - 09-May-2015

(09-May-2015, 04:15)Music or sound Wrote:
(09-May-2015, 03:40)hk6230 Wrote:
(08-May-2015, 16:34)Eddye Wrote:
(08-May-2015, 13:41)hk6230 Wrote: A new discovery! Just played a 24/192 music via toslink to optical input, and Devialet works. No longer needs an adapter to convert optical to coax. Yippee!

UPDATE: Strange encounters. I was using a cheap toslink cable when successfully playing 24/192 music to optical input. When I changed to a better cable, Audioquest Forest, the display was RED and no sound. Switch back to to normal toslink cable, music flows again. This, I couldn't understand why. [scratching head]

Could be your AQ forest cable is broken or one of the tips is filthy and doesn't let enough light through. Do you have a third cable to test?

Just confirmed with another 'better' quality optical cable, same as AQ, no sound. And, I have checked the AQ cable for any damage or dust. It's clean and in good condition. Playing 16/44.1 and 24/96 music files, no issue at all. So, cable is i working condition.

I am amazed that you could play 24/192 with toslink at all. The D-Premier was 24/192 on all inputs but the present line does not have that toslink input receiver (discontinued) and according to Devialet the present line is only 24/96. When I upgraded my D-Premier I requested that 24/192 works optically but when I got it back as a D250 it was restricted to 24/96. After many emails Devialet agreed to rectify that by installing an old input receiver and after 4 weeks with out my music I just got my D250 back and it works now also at  24/192 with toslink (and optical sounds better at any sampling rate). Does your cheap toslink sound worse at lower rate than the "fancy" ones?

Yeah, I was just as surprised (or amazed) as you are. And no, playing lower bitrates music sounded real good, too. I'm trying to compare the lower rate music with AQ Forest toslink cable. Will update you after more listening.

(09-May-2015, 05:42)Jnan_devi Wrote: wanted to check with you folks on this one? : I inserted the SD card with 7.1.3 firmware with 17 files in it. Once the system fully upgraded, I removed the SD card to remove all the files to copy the Configuration file. I could see only 15 files in the SD. does this mean couple of them got copied into Devialet?

Is this common

No, this can't be. Someone in the thread mentioned that you can leave the configuration file in the SD card while upgrading. I tried it and works. I didn't notice any missing files.

RE: New beta firmware 7.1.3 released - ogs - 09-May-2015

(09-May-2015, 05:42)Jnan_devi Wrote: wanted to check with you folks on this one? : I inserted the SD card with 7.1.3 firmware with 17 files in it. Once the system fully upgraded, I removed the SD card to remove all the files to copy the Configuration file. I could see only 15 files in the SD. does this mean couple of them got copied into Devialet?

Is this common

I have a rule for my self to always set cards to read only before I insert them in my amp (the little sliding switch on the side of the card). If you have more than one amp to upgrade you can use the same SD card with all files intact. The upgrade process will remove some files from SD cards if it's set to read-write. I have never tried to keep configuration files on the firmware card while upgrading, but as hk6230 says, this will work. I have several SD cards so I tend keep things separate.

RE: New beta firmware 7.1.3 released - Stigmater - 09-May-2015

(09-May-2015, 09:06)ogs Wrote: [quote='Jnan_devi' pid='15661' dateline='1431146572']
wanted to check with you folks on this one? : I inserted the SD card with 7.1.3 firmware with 17 files in it. Once the system fully upgraded, I removed the SD card to remove all the files to copy the Configuration file. I could see only 15 files in the SD. does this mean couple of them got copied into Devialet?

Is this common

Noticed same thing when I flashed mine.
By the way switched back to 7.1.1, didn't liked 7.1.3 at all.

RE: New beta firmware 7.1.3 released - Pim - 09-May-2015

(08-May-2015, 13:41)hk6230 Wrote: A new discovery! Just played a 24/192 music via toslink to optical input, and Devialet works. No longer needs an adapter to convert optical to coax. Yippee!

UPDATE: Strange encounters. I was using a cheap toslink cable when successfully playing 24/192 music to optical input. When I changed to a better cable, Audioquest Forest, the display was RED and no sound. Switch back to to normal toslink cable, music flows again. This, I couldn't understand why. [scratching head]

...that means it's a worse cable, not a better one...

(09-May-2015, 11:48)Pim van Vliet Wrote:

Yeah, you may be probably right. But, all my other toslink cables can't work, except this one. And, I was told by Devialet support before that its optical input can only accept 24/96 bitrates only. So, being able to play 24/192 music to its optical input is a real surprise. 

RE: New beta firmware 7.1.3 released - Pim - 09-May-2015

(09-May-2015, 12:07)hk6230 Wrote:
(09-May-2015, 11:48)Pim van Vliet Wrote:

Yeah, you may be probably right. But, all my other toslink cables can't work, except this one. And, I was told by Devialet support before that its optical input can only accept 24/96 bitrates only. So, being able to play 24/192 music to its optical input is a real surprise. 

What brand/model is the cheap cable that works? I would like to look it up and figure out what the difference could be that makes it work. Meanwhile I'll read up on the Toslink specs if I can find them.

RE: New beta firmware 7.1.3 released - Jnan_devi - 09-May-2015

(07-May-2015, 08:45)Jnan_devi Wrote: New beta Firmware 7.1.3 updated.

Volume : Agreed with some of the posts here. I generally use Mark Knopler's Private Investigation and other Indian songs which has overall dynamics. Not sure about the power increase, but I dont have to go all the way to -10 to -8dB. After 7.1.3 installation, I first increased the volume to the extent i was satisfied with the loudness, and then got up from couch to check the volume, it was at -17dB. Nice change. I clearly see there is improvement in overall listening experience. Found difference in the Bass (not sure yet, need to do some more auditioning). Also found difference in BASS with and without SAM but less compared to 7.1.1. Mids are up-leveled, little forward – I like it this way. I think highs are Close enough to previous (better). I don’t have world best ears to determine the difference.

SAM: Dont have SAM profile for my speakers, but using SAM of new series of the same speaker model. I do find difference, but not as much as the previous Firmware 7.1.1. I can go without SAM or tried to reduce % all the way to 10% which is fine too. I think I will eventually forgo SAM.

Temperature: for my listening volumes of -10dB, With SAM ON (20%) with previous 7.1.1, it used to go upto 44deg.C much quicker ~20mins. Now I noted with 1 hour of listening, it breached 40Deg.C

Overall happier with the new Firmware 7.1.3.

Someone wants to put up a poll ? I would be happy to cast my vote. but with some additional parameters like SQ, SAM different, Volume, No difference at all, Old Firmware better etc.

Went back to 7.1.1 and played for some time until the temp breached 40Deg.C. Played my favourites  at constant volumes of about -16dB. 

SAM - OFF in both the cases but did test them ON and OFF just to see the difference. Will come to that later.

then Upgraded to 7.1.3. Same set of songs while temp were around 39 and then ramped to 41/42. Watched that the volume ramped to 42 with volume set at -16db. had to reduce to -20 to be comfort of my listening loudness.

I Felt the following might be different from what i heard first time. (SAM OFF). I m typing as i m auditioning each element. with lots of repeats.
1) Highs - Much more detailed. Much more spaced, did not notice cut-offs. Was it little harsher ? Nah ... Cleaner ? Hmmm ... Cleaner. Similar to 7.1.1. Means not much changed ? I think there is some improvement.
2) Mids - Better. I m loving them. I like mids more pulled fwd. Not sure if my mind is playing tricks here (upgrade ? must be good types)
3) Bass - I think here it has improved well. 

However regarding SAM - there is subtle difference with SAM enabled in 7.1.3 as compared to 7.1.1.
Temp : I maybe wrong earlier. With same volume in both the cases. the difference is about 2Deg.C. and not 4-5 deg.c as i earlier stated.

However for a given recording between 7.1.1 and 7.1.3 used Private Investigation (Mark Knopfler) - here is where i noted okay with 2-3dB lower was also loud enough.

Overall my personal Take : I think, change is subtle enough. I think will stick to 7.1.3 Smile Find nothing wrong with the upgrade too. 

I don't know. I can't even remember when & how I got it. It's a very old cable. I have been inspecting it for logo/branding/ whatever but no clues at all. And yes, like you, I search the web for the toslink cabling specs. The only thing I can think of it is a very thin cabling without much insulation. So, maybe the newer ones have jitter removal tech which auto-correct 192kHz signals and confused our Devialet.

It's just my wild guess.

RE: New beta firmware 7.1.3 released - Jnan_devi - 09-May-2015

Toslinks are digital, so i dont think there will be loss or removal of any noise or active circuits to remove any perceived jitter.

OUTPUT should be INPUT. the BW of these are upto30GHz. Lucky you HK. I have no such luck.