Devialet Chat
Firmware 8.0 - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet News (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-News)
+--- Thread: Firmware 8.0 (/Thread-Firmware-8-0)

RE: Firmware 8.0 - jjo - 14-May-2015

I for one am happy with 8.0 firmware. Actually I haven't tried anything else than vinyl yet, but it's so good that I haven't needed anything else Smile The RAM system seems pretty cool. Only complaint so far is that the configurator didn't have a profile for my Lyra cartridge Sad

I've used a separate phonostage previously, but now I think I might manage with just plain Devialet. Remains to be seem.

Maybe I'll get around to trying DSD with my Auralic Aries at some point. I'm in no hurry though.

[edit]
Seems funny though, that only 4 files in the firmware upgrade were updated since 7.1.1. but if that's all they needed then good for them Smile

RE: Firmware 8.0 - AaronG - 14-May-2015

(14-May-2015, 13:29)moreno1973 Wrote:
(14-May-2015, 13:15)octaviars Wrote:
(14-May-2015, 12:56)AaronG Wrote: For me -- who doesn't have SAM speakers or dual mono -- the upgrade is terrific for the DSD capacity alone. It also seems to incorporate whatever was done with 7.1.3 which was also excellent. I'm sorry for all of you having problems! Hopefully soon.

I haven't tried AIR yet, since my Antipodes sounds better to my ears.

Same for me, dont have SAM or dual mono so 8.0.0 works fine for me. The new riaa section is realy Nice.

what is sound quality with 8.0?

FLAC sounds to me like 7.1.3. DSD sounds very different from FLAC. I have been comparing files, and even taking account of mastering differences it's striking how different DSD and FLAC sound. I think I prefer DSD for jazz and classical. Don't have any electronica DSD files yet. 

Firmware 8.0 - amabrok - 14-May-2015

(14-May-2015, 12:31)warpeon Wrote: Question: can 8.0 be downgraded to 7.1.3? Seems like 7.1.3 is a working version.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes you can. Just restart ur D with an SD card loaded with the 17 files of firmware 7.1.3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Firmware 8.0 - jjo - 14-May-2015

FW8.0.0 seems louder, way louder. I wonder if they adjusted the volume control or something.

On the bright side, the bad sq on low volumes with sensitive speakers seems to be gone.

RE: Firmware 8.0 - petrik - 14-May-2015

(14-May-2015, 13:44)petrik Wrote: I had to go back to 7.1.1 version since I noticed a major problem with the Phono input when using 8.0.0. I got some constant noise from the right channel when using phono input and the sound balance was really odd (thin, no bass). Moreover, there didn't come almost any sound from the left channel.

Vinyl sounds good again with 7.1.1 so the problem is somehow related to the 8.0.0. I have reported this problem to Devialet so let's see when this will get fixed.

RE: Firmware 8.0 - f1eng - 14-May-2015

(14-May-2015, 11:19)Eddye Wrote: NOW NOW NOW mentality??? Devialet released the firmware today of their own free will, nobody forced them. The fact it doesn't work correctly is an error on their side and should be fixed. Or better yet, it would have been better if they postponed releasing the new version until it worked.

Nobody forced them it is true, but this particular forum has had threads banging on about "when is the next update"  and "what improvements will we get" "surely it is late" for months.

Mind you it is just as likely to have been mandated by somebody to be out for Munich come what may, a bit like the Phantom and Spark being released before they were ready.
At least it will discover the bugs quickly..

I do agree having a situation where SAM 2 doesn't work is a complete cock up.

Anyway, old blokes like me, who wrote software for years before releasing software with bugs was introduced by Microsoft 30 years ago, are used to not updating soon.

As I have written before here updates are not necessarily upgrades.

RE: Firmware 8.0 - iamwappie - 14-May-2015

With a minor software bug I could have some understanding here but with a major one like this one, why is the firmware still available for download? I mean they are actively promoting SAM V2 and exactly that doesn't work. Communications wise also no understanding here. Just let everyone download it and discover themselves that there is a problem?

Remove the 8.0.0 firmware and/or put a statement on there that currently there is an issue with SAM.

RE: Firmware 8.0 - moreno1973 - 14-May-2015

(14-May-2015, 14:38)jjo Wrote: FW8.0.0 seems louder, way louder. I wonder if they adjusted the volume control or something.

8.0 is louder comparing to which firmware? 7.1.1 or 7.1.3?

In my opinion 7.1.3 is more dynamic, transparent and ,,louder" than 7.1.1.

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Eddye - 14-May-2015

(14-May-2015, 14:46)f1eng Wrote: R

(14-May-2015, 11:19)Eddye Wrote: NOW NOW NOW mentality??? Devialet released the firmware today of their own free will, nobody forced them. The fact it doesn't work correctly is an error on their side and should be fixed. Or better yet, it would have been better if they postponed releasing the new version until it worked.

Nobody forced them it is true, but this particular forum has had threads banging on about "when is the next update"  and "what improvements will we get" "surely it is late" for months.

Mind you it is just as likely to have been mandated by somebody to be out for Munich come what may, a bit like the Phantom and Spark being released before they were ready.
At least it will discover the bugs quickly..

I do agree having a situation where SAM 2 doesn't work is a complete cock up.

Anyway, old blokes like me, who wrote software for years before releasing software with bugs was introduced by Microsoft 30 years ago, are used to not updating soon.

As I have written before here updates are not necessarily upgrades.
I think that is again Devialets own fault from promissing a minimum of 2 upgrades each year. On several occasions I've voiced the opinion to first get everything in perfect working order before introducing new features, but Devialet seems to be of a different opinion. That seems to be the strategy. That's fine by me, but I still want a working system, including all the new options, even though I haven't asked for them. They've made their own bed, so to speak. If Devialet hadn't made those promisses, they would have had all the time they needed to correctly bring out new firmware. 

Still I'm extremely happy with my D200. Even if I can't use SAM at the moment.

RE: Firmware 8.0 - PAC - 14-May-2015

Devialet twitter says it was a configurator issue, which has been fixed now.