Devialet Chat
Firmware 8.0 - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet News (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-News)
+--- Thread: Firmware 8.0 (/Thread-Firmware-8-0)

RE: Firmware 8.0 - ismarketing - 15-May-2015

(15-May-2015, 08:06)flyer Wrote: There is virtualy zero benefit for Dev 120 owners with non SAM speakers.
RAM is for all models except Dev 120
ICM the same as above
The new firmware has benefited owners of SAM speakers on low frequencies who had some problems BUT for owners of non SAM speakers is a disaster.Very thin bass with non SAM speakers.
For DSD I can’t speak because I don’t use USB it’s not real DSD reproduction anyway.
SAM V2  good in theory.
After that I revert to 7.1.1 and wait for next update unless my speakers become SAM. (ATC-SCM 40 v.1)
Can others confirm this is correct?  If so, quite bummed 120 owner here.

RE: Firmware 8.0 - AaronG - 15-May-2015

1) It is real DSD reproduction as far as I know.
2) It sounds great on my speakers on my 120. The opposite of thin bass. YMMV. If you don't like it just go back.
3) I don't own a turntable but one of the 120 users above seems to have confirmed that RAM can be used with the 120.

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Vivialet - 15-May-2015

the better SQ and better SAM is already worth the update. The other new options are not for everyone. I also don't have a turntable, I don't need ICM and don't want to waste a remote button for it and the music I mainly listen to is not available as DSD. But hey, it is free and in the end better SQ is all what counts for me.

RE: Firmware 8.0 - runlonger - 15-May-2015

(15-May-2015, 15:02)ismarketing Wrote:
(15-May-2015, 08:06)flyer Wrote: There is virtualy zero benefit for Dev 120 owners with non SAM speakers.
RAM is for all models except Dev 120
ICM the same as above
The new firmware has benefited owners of SAM speakers on low frequencies who had some problems BUT for owners of non SAM speakers is a disaster.Very thin bass with non SAM speakers.
For DSD I can’t speak because I don’t use USB it’s not real DSD reproduction anyway.
SAM V2  good in theory.
After that I revert to 7.1.1 and wait for next update unless my speakers become SAM. (ATC-SCM 40 v.1)
Can others confirm this is correct?  If so, quite bummed 120 owner here

Hmmm, I wouldn’t see it that way. If vinyl was important to you, then you shouldn’t have bought D120 in the first place. I only have my music stored digitally, so I don’t care at all. I do not have SAM profiled speakers, but with the new SAM Lab it is much more likely that they will be SAMed one day (but I’m not sure if it is a benefit at all for my particular speakers). Thin bass is certainly not true for my system, don’t worry about that. Sound quality is great, it might be even better than 7.1.3. And we have ICM and lower temperatures. So I will not complain.

Actually for the future, there are three things I would like Devialet to do: new remote with display, solve white noise problem, having dialog for expert line with HDMI 

RE: Firmware 8.0 - octaviars - 15-May-2015

Perhaps a new app that shows the same as the display and more functions that would be nice so you dont have to choose the functions you want on the remote.

RE: Firmware 8.0 - flyer - 15-May-2015

Vinyl is very important to me as I have more than 2500 LP's.I bought D120 because I didn't want to spend more money and my turntable has a Nagaoka MP-500 MM cartridge which I use on an
Project turntable.Also I came from Naim gear like many others as I had the Supernait (v.1) before the Dev 120 along with a phono preamp.The Dev's 120 phono stage happened to be better than the one I had so I'm happy.Thin bass I'm not the only one I report it, there are several other reports not only in this site.Maybe because of my speakers.They do not colour the sound
bass,middle,treble like almost a monitor speaker.
I simply consider what the previous major upgrade did and what did this practically speaking.
D110 to D120
Gave me the chance to use USB to digitize Vinyl by enabling ADC.Better sound and dynamics.
What did firmware 8 gave me?Almost nothing and for me (as for many others) worse sound in low end.
I'm happy with 7.1.1 as you are happy with 8.0 so let's keep it this way.

RE: Firmware 8.0 - ismarketing - 15-May-2015

Lets put aside how happy or not anyone is with the update for 120 owners.

Can someone (maybe a dealer?) confirm what functionality is or is not missing in the 8.0 update for 120 owners?

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Akk_fin - 15-May-2015

Well, about that "thin bass". I have D200 and listened it before and after firmware update (naturally Smile ). I must say that bass is still in top class (clarity, punch). If you are lack of bass power, either you devialet cant handle it or speakers fails. But it is not cause firmware.

Ps. could New power managment affect this ?

And how about a lot of other people who mention the same about thin bass?
Devialet can't handle it or speaker fail?
I'm not going to discuss this anymore because there is no point.

(15-May-2015, 12:51)Antoine Wrote: Not much info on DPM indeed but of course it's partly marketing speak for something they've been doing from the beginning, optimizing the software/firmware controlling the power supply. The nice thing for DPM specifically is that we can experiment enabling or disabling it, audiophile heaven. Wink People visiting Munchen could challenge a Devialet engineer about it.

"The presence of multiple processors in each product makes it possible to add new regular functionalities, thus enabling Devialet to innovate constantly.

Devialet has adopted a rather atypical approach — the key functions, such as power conversion within the main power supply or the management of the ADH amplification cores, are also software controlled. By improving the power supply software, we improve energy conversion in terms of its efficiency and response time. By improving the ADH core management software, sound reproduction quality is further improved."

(15-May-2015, 16:31)ismarketing Wrote: Lets put aside how happy or not anyone is with the update for 120 owners.

Can someone (maybe a dealer?) confirm what functionality is or is not missing in the 8.0 update for 120 owners?

Look here:
http://www.soundstageglobal.com/index.php/shows-events/high-end-2015-munich-germany/184-high-end-2015-features/570-the-devialet-revolution-a-conversation-with-co-founder-pierre-emmanuel-calmel?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

it says:
Record Active Matching (RAM), Devialet has enabled their entire line of amps (except for the 120) to adjust multiple phono-stage parameters in real-time, including EQ curves and cartridge sensitivity.