Devialet Chat
Firmware 8.0 - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet News (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-News)
+--- Thread: Firmware 8.0 (/Thread-Firmware-8-0)

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Ron McKernan - 17-May-2015

Being new to Devialet (got my 120 two weeks ago) and new to this forum as well I learnt my first lesson: Do not even think of installing new soft- or firmware, before you have read the reports of experienced  forum members and listen to their advice. After some disappointing attemps to upgrade to FW 8.0 I finally listened to what has put forward here by a couple of members: Install everything new from the scratch and follow Devialet's upgrade instructions! And it worked immediately! Thanks!

Now I am happy that RAM works on my 120, my cartridge (Benz Gold) is listed and it sounds quite well. Have to systematically compare it against my old tube phono pre-amp though. I wonder now whether there is still a difference between the phonoinput of D120 and D200. I will ask this question in another thread, however.

My speakers (PMC Fact 8) are actually very (!) happy with SAM V2! Their sound is considerably improved, but they now still sound like Fact 8 and are not shifted towards another direction as it was done by the former version of SAM.

Looking forward to further developments!

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Hifi_swlon - 17-May-2015

Installed 8 with no issues (did a fresh config).

Most of the features aren't really of interest to me, and I have to say I do find the overuse of acronyms a bit silly at this point - but I'm glad to hear this update has bought many features people were waiting for.

SQ-wise, I cant really tell how different this is to 7.1.3 from memory, but at least I haven't immediately uninstalled it! I do find the presentation is less bass-oriented and more treble emphasised in my setup, along the lines of 7.1.3 but perhaps a nicer sound than I remember 7.1.3 to be. Still, nothing earth shattering for me, and I imagine I will go back to 7.1.1 as things stand now. But I'll give this one a week and see where we are.

Interestingly my dealer felt this firmware would cure the popping and crackling of Air. I was very hopeful and excited at that comment. Sadly, it's already occurred several times today alone, so its definitely not been fixed in my setup, and requires Air being restarted (relatively) often to clear it.

Overall pretty disappointed at this point. I would have preferred Air to be fixed, and maybe even a decent parametric EQ that could actually be adjusted in a remotely useful way (i.e. while sound is playing). All I can do now is hope for something in the future….. and wait for next crazy batch of acronyms to appear.

Update: Air is worse for me since v8. Six restarts of Air in one day is a record for sure. A coincidence? I don't think this firmware will last a week after all. I;m liking it less and less the more I listen. It's louder for the same volume level compared to previous version, but whats the point of using less power unless there's a good reason?

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Floyd67 - 17-May-2015

Been listening to 8.0 for a few hours non stop today (listening to wide range of music classical, prog, rock, pop) my conclusion is that while vocals seem clearer music is not as enjoyable for longer listening periods. The treble and mids are more pronounced, it's louder and for my taste lacks the musicality of the beta 7.1.3. My left ear is quite sensitive and it gets hot when the presentation is brighter. On the plus side the bass presentation was certainly more taught. So for now I'll be reverting back to 7.1.3. and possibly going to the version before to that. Whilst the new features are nice to have, the SQ for me is the most important factor and this latest version doesn't do it for me. I also found that the sound stage/field seemed narrower. I guess different strokes etc...

Wilson Duette Original (SAM) Dev 250, REL 328, Using AIR over WiFi

RE: Firmware 8.0 - miro - 17-May-2015

(16-May-2015, 19:58)KraaijCheck Wrote: When using SAM, u guys have Bass on or off? I just discovered you can set Bass on or off. In the first minutes with SAM at 60-80% and with Bass off the punch is more clear and direct. Any other opinions?

Where do you set Bass on or off?

RE: Firmware 8.0 - stefanfreij - 17-May-2015

So.. you can actually turn of "dynamic Power management"!?
Can this be the "problem" that some of u guys have with soundstage that changes?

I will definitely have this OFF

[Image: dynamic_power.jpg]

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Hifi_swlon - 17-May-2015

Thanks for that one - didn't see it when I did the config. I will definitely try turning it off in my setup. I haven't experienced any audible fluctuations, but I'm just hoping something will improve the SQ.

As someone else noted, I also noticed that the low noise filter is enabled by default, whereas it says the default is off. This is the same situation as a few weeks ago when I did my first config for 7.1.1.

RE: Firmware 8.0 - thumb5 - 17-May-2015

Leaving aside any discussion of sound quality changes, and with the caveat that I haven't yet had a chance to try v8.0 firmware myself...

...it bothers me that if the experiences on this thread are anything to go by, Devialet haven't really thought through the practicalities of the upgrade process.

First of all, I haven't seen any instructions from Devialet stating definitively whether or not configuration files built with previous versions of the configurator are or are not compatible with the new firmware.  Without any clear statement (e.g. on the firmware download page) to say that a new configuration must be built, I would expect that existing configuration files should be usable and the amplifier should work exactly as it did before -- obviously in that case without any of the new features enabled.  In other words, the firmware should recognise an "old" configuration file and apply appropriate, safe defaults for things that it doesn't specify.  That seems to me to be the best and safest approach, but based on what people have reported here, it isn't what's happening in practice.

If, as it seems, we are supposed to build new configuration files to work with new versions of firmware, Devialet need to do two things: (1) state clearly with each firmware update whether or not updated configuration files are required, and (2) make it possible to do this in the configurator by importing an existing configuration file and automatically converting it in place to the latest form (or adding whatever new is required).  Although someone here has commented that it "only takes a couple of seconds" to re-build a configuration file, in practice it takes longer than that for any non-trivial configuration and is an error-prone process (easy to forget something).

Sorry this has turned out to be a bit of a rant, but to be blunt: I think it's unacceptable for Devialet to put the burden of working this out from scratch on their users.

RE: Firmware 8.0 - miro - 17-May-2015

(17-May-2015, 21:51)thumb5 Wrote: Sorry this has turned out to be a bit of a rant, but to be blunt: I think it's unacceptable for Devialet to put the burden of working this out from scratch on their users.

+1

Also, they should significantly upgrade the Control app, to allow us to see all possible values from an iPad from our listening positions, and to control/change al of the parameters that can be changed without having to prepare different configuration files for that.

RE: Firmware 8.0 - knud0 - 17-May-2015

(16-May-2015, 00:24)spocksbrother Wrote:
(15-May-2015, 18:39)Axel Wrote:
(15-May-2015, 12:50)spocksbrother Wrote: D200 using SAM with a pair of KEF LS 50's in a near field system. I had no choice but to downgrade back to 7.1.1 — After the 8.0 upgrade power was down, dynamics were crushed, there were strange power management issues with literally volume changing on its own. Maybe it was just a glitch with my unit, not sure, but I prefer to wait for some updates to 8.0 and additional comments from more users and from Devialet. Unfortunately I did not save the old SAM/Config file so now I have SAM V2 with 7.1.1, not great...

Hi,

Welcome to Devialet Chat and congratulations on your great system!
Why don't you download and install the upgrade again? It might have been a dodgy download that corrupted the file. 

Cheers,

Al

Al, thank you. I have done it twice and reverted twice with the same results… I'll wait a few days to see if Devialet releasees a 8.0.1 potentially if they hear of other issues.
Hi, I'm using Devialet 120 with the KEF LS50s. I feel sound was better with 7.1.3 beta. More dynamic, more fresh, more powerful... With 8.0.0 it sounds a bit dulled. ... I also need +10/16 dB more volume, now.

... hmm ... I think I've saved the old config file...

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Herman - 17-May-2015

since i have installed v8 the tonal balance is totally different to v7.1.1 in both cases with and without SAM (much more presence in mids and hights and less base) how can that be since that AMP should have a linear response in the audio frequency range?
I had to reconfigure that with the tone controls - but the results are still not as perfect as before.
I will give V8 another 2 days to hopefully arrange with that or roll back.

beides that i totally agree that the remote AP has to be replaced