Devialet Chat
Firmware 8.0 - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet News (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-News)
+--- Thread: Firmware 8.0 (/Thread-Firmware-8-0)

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Jean-Marie - 19-May-2015

(19-May-2015, 10:15)jjo Wrote:
(19-May-2015, 09:09)Finn Wrote: But what if you use both records player and cd player ,i Don,t  Think that you just Can turn subsonisk filter On and of when you play ?

It's safe to have the subsonic filter on even when playing digital sources. It just rolls off the lower frequencies, I have no idea what the limit for Devialet is, but I would assume most records don't have those frequencies and most people don't have speakers that would really reproduce the sound anyways.

But of course if one is unsure, one can try if the bass extension is lacking with the subsonic filter on Wink

I did a few tests with test tones at 40, 30 and 20 Hz. I could clearly hear a drop on the 30 and 20 Hz tones, so I decided to turn the subsonic filter off since I'm listening to quite a bit of pipe organ music and a 16' pipe goes down to 32 Hz and I can hear that with no problem on my speakers.

RE: Firmware 8.0 - G51 - 19-May-2015

(19-May-2015, 09:28)Saint0 Wrote:
(18-May-2015, 12:13)G51 Wrote: Hello, Saint0. Jeff Fritz, Editor of Soundstage.com, once evaluated the expert line (of course not V8.0.0) and said it was dead silent even in his sound-treated listening room. So what comes the problem of the low frequency heart-beat-like rumble and the sudden outburst of very loud noise we heard? Electrical interference from our home electricity network? The later firmware? Or any other factors? Saint0 did you plug the Expert line direct to wall socket or use a power conditioner?

I'm pretty sure power is clean. D250 is connected to PS Audio P5 with Shunyata Z-PC10 power cord, and the P5 goes to MIT 20A in-wall conditioner/surge protector. I'm surprised to hear the low frequency rumble & beating noise, as well as the glitches with SAM 2.0; both happened after the V8.0 update. Unit was clean and dead silent running V7 prior to the update.

I've contacted Devialet, they're supposedly looking into it. This is the first time I had problems with their F/W update.

I don't want to experience noise problem when supposingly playing the most advanced amplifier in the world. Hope Devialet acts fast. All in all, the views towards V8.0.0 are dividing.

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Confused - 19-May-2015

(19-May-2015, 09:09)Finn Wrote: But what if you use both records player and cd player ,i Don,t  Think that you just Can turn subsonisk filter On and of when you play ?

The phono stage 1976 RIAA equalisation curve includes a subsonic filter.  I am not sure if the new RAM options of DECCA, RCA, EMI curves etc. also include a subsonic filter, has anyone investigated this yet?

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Rodney Gold - 19-May-2015

Devialet solved my Ver 8 / d-premier problem...it was not accepting a config with their new configurator no matter what firmware..the issue was the configurator was setting a default start up input option that I had disabled.. so changing the default start up to an input that did exist solved the problem.
So im on ver 8 ..can't say if there is a difference in my setup..sounds pretty good to me
kudos to Devialet support for their prompt and accurate reply..

RE: Firmware 8.0 - ismarketing - 19-May-2015

Anybody hearing anything of value with ICM?  So far, all I can say is it makes everything louder.  Since turning up the volume works just fine/the same, I'm not sure what I supposed to be hearing.

Anybody have thoughts?  Thanks

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Axel - 19-May-2015

(19-May-2015, 10:15)jjo Wrote:

It's safe to have the subsonic filter on even when playing digital sources. It just rolls off the lower frequencies, I have no idea what the limit for Devialet is, but I would assume most records don't have those frequencies and most people don't have speakers that would really reproduce the sound anyways.

But of course if one is unsure, one can try if the bass extension is lacking with the subsonic filter on Wink
Subsonic filters usually cut anything below 20Hz. They were introduced for vinyl lovers to cut subsonic noise caused by warped records and rumble from motor bearings etc.

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Kunter - 19-May-2015

Hi guys...

I would like to hear your opinions on Dynamic Power Management. Although on paper it is promising for high efficiency and what not, generally any type of power "optimisation" has its downsides for sounds... At least this has been my experience...

Have you tried the v8 with and without DPM? What do you think?

Cheers

RE: Firmware 8.0 - NickB - 19-May-2015

(19-May-2015, 12:35)G51 Wrote:
(18-May-2015, 12:13)G51 Wrote: Hello, Saint0. Jeff Fritz, Editor of Soundstage.com, once evaluated the expert line (of course not V8.0.0) and said it was dead silent even in his sound-treated listening room. So what comes the problem of the low frequency heart-beat-like rumble and the sudden outburst of very loud noise we heard? Electrical interference from our home electricity network? The later firmware? Or any other factors? Saint0 did you plug the Expert line direct to wall socket or use a power conditioner?

I'm pretty sure power is clean. D250 is connected to PS Audio P5 with Shunyata Z-PC10 power cord, and the P5 goes to MIT 20A in-wall conditioner/surge protector. I'm surprised to hear the low frequency rumble & beating noise, as well as the glitches with SAM 2.0; both happened after the V8.0 update. Unit was clean and dead silent running V7 prior to the update.

I've contacted Devialet, they're supposedly looking into it. This is the first time I had problems with their F/W update.

I don't want to experience noise problem when supposingly playing the most advanced amplifier in the world. Hope Devialet acts fast. All in all, the views towards V8.0.0 are dividing.

Turned my D400 up to plus 30 dB last night and there is absolute silence on all the inputs - except phone for obvious reasons, I even asked SWMBO to listen as well just in case I had gone temporarily deaf due to the volume !!!

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Morten - 19-May-2015

(19-May-2015, 14:58)ismarketing Wrote: Anybody hearing anything of value with ICM?  So far, all I can say is it makes everything louder.  Since turning up the volume works just fine/the same, I'm not sure what I supposed to be hearing.

Anybody have thoughts?  Thanks

Yes, I like it, the dialog is easier to understand when it is used... It is correct that it turns the volume up when watching TV--but it is turned down when used during normal music...

As stated in another thread I have asked Devialt to make the ICM automatically turn on when a given input is selected.

Kind regards Morten

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Sylvain27 - 19-May-2015

(19-May-2015, 09:51)Saint0 Wrote:

I'd like to add that V8.0 is running OK under "nominal conditions" playing music at -33dB to -20dB. The operating temperature is 4 to 5'C lower than V7.1.1.

However, SAM has minimal effect on my Focal Scala V1. Sound stage opens up a bit with SAM, but not much changes in the bass. SAM 2.0 is even more subtle than 1.0, not sure if it's worth the trouble. I don't noticed much difference changing the SAM % either. I'm wondering if other Scala V1 users have the same experience?
Hello, I have older Focal Utopia speakers, a pair of Diva. Devialet borrowed my own pair to be SAMed, so I hope the correction is the right one! Wink   I have a similar experience, SAM does not change completely the bass, and I think it's because we have speakers with already a good bass response without SAM. However if you look at the boomers while playing double bass for instance, SAM correction can be seen immediately at times, movements of the speakers' membrane have a much larger amplitude with SAM.
  Best regards,
Sylvain