Devialet Chat
Firmware 8.0 - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet News (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-News)
+--- Thread: Firmware 8.0 (/Thread-Firmware-8-0)

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Hifi_swlon - 19-May-2015

8 configs don't seem backwards compatible. I keep all mine but I'd left the 8 one on there and 7.1.1 didn't like it and forced factory defaults.

Again, not really very tidily done - all a bit rushed if you ask me. It doesnt take long to get a reputation as a company that releases half baked things. I do hope Devialet stop the trend soon.

RE: Firmware 8.0 - NickB - 19-May-2015

(19-May-2015, 21:33)Finn Wrote: I hope that devialet come with a software Update ,when i Reed many give negative impression about 8,0 many say devialet Loos there soul and that is NOT good, so devialet you have a work ,so you Can give People someting they Like just someting from me WHO have Update too 8,0 and i Think there miss someting ?

And what about those of us that really like V8 - what do we do ?

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Confused - 19-May-2015

(19-May-2015, 22:35)Hifi_swlon Wrote: 8 configs don't seem backwards compatible. I keep all mine but I'd left the 8 one on there and 7.1.1 didn't like it and forced factory defaults.

Again, not really very tidily done - all a bit rushed if you ask me. It doesnt take long to get a reputation as a company that releases half baked things. I do hope Devialet stop the trend soon.

This is an interesting point.  So it looks like if you prefer 7.1.1 or 7.1.3 (what happened to 7.1.2?), then basically you are stuck with any configurations you have saved on SD cards or your computer.  That is, if you try to make a revised configuration on the "V8" configurator, then this won't work with 7.1.1.  So no tweaking phono stage settings for a new cartridge etc.  This seems a bit odd, and what about D Premier users, who can't use all the new V8 toys anyway?

Regards to all this being rushed, I have to agree.  It seams to be all "no sleep 'till Munich" for Devialet. Ok, they got all this new stuff released on time, but there appears to be very little information on the website explaining the new features and options (such as implications of enabling or disabling the power management), just a bunch of TLA's.  The only real information I've seen is from the users of this forum, based in no small part on trial and error.  So a very well done to the many who posted good information here, and poor show Devialet.

RE: Firmware 8.0 - AaronG - 19-May-2015

8.0 sounds so good on my speakers! Glorious!

RE: Firmware 8.0 - NickB - 19-May-2015

(19-May-2015, 23:05)Confused Wrote:
(19-May-2015, 22:35)Hifi_swlon Wrote: 8 configs don't seem backwards compatible. I keep all mine but I'd left the 8 one on there and 7.1.1 didn't like it and forced factory defaults.

This is an interesting point.  So it looks like if you prefer 7.1.1 or 7.1.3 (what happened to 7.1.2?), then basically you are stuck with any configurations you have saved on SD cards or your computer.  That is, if you try to make a revised configuration on the "V8" configurator, then this won't work with 7.1.1.  So no tweaking phono stage settings for a new cartridge etc.  This seems a bit odd, and what about D Premier users, who can't use all the new V8 toys anyway?

Regards to all this being rushed, I have to agree.  It seams to be all "no sleep 'till Munich" for Devialet. Ok, they got all this new stuff released on time, but there appears to be very little information on the website explaining the new features and options (such as implications of enabling or disabling the power management), just a bunch of TLA's.  The only real information I've seen is from the users of this forum, based in no small part on trial and error.  So a very well done to the many who posted good information here, and poor show Devialet.

We don't think that the rushing would have anything to do with the constant moaning on this forum about the expert series being forgotten - the only development is on the Phantom - we spent all this money and they have forgotten us - we haven't had an update for ages etc etc etc and on and on and on and on !!!!!

And then when they do everyone moans about the fact that they have been given an update but they are incapable of copying a few files to a memory card and plugging it into the machine. Not sure how much training you need to do that.

If I was them I would give up the whole thing and leave you all with your completely useless amps. Oh no wait a minute they still are the best sounding amps you can get aren't they.

By the way no one has actually said that there was a change in sound from 7.1.1 to 7.1.3 it was assumed and is probably as real as the differences between usb cables.

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Damon - 19-May-2015

(19-May-2015, 23:05)Confused Wrote:

Regards to all this being rushed, I have to agree.... The only real information I've seen is from the users of this forum, based in no small part on trial and error.  So a very well done to the many who posted good information here, and poor show Devialet.

Agreed, this is an interesting point. I haven't moved on from 7.1.1, but I was intending to do so when I had some clear time. I do not have a big collection of configurations saved, and it would be a bit of a roadblock if V8.0 is necessary to make new configurations. I don't know how 7.1.3 or 8.0 will sound on my system, but I would be distressed to discover that there is a difference that I can hear, and one I don't prefer

I may be missing it, but I just looked on the Devialet website, and 7.1.3 is not available to download. I guess that it was a beta version, but since others here can tell that V8.0 is different sonically, it's a shame to have missed the chance to try it. Ah, well, 'you snooze, you lose'. 

Hifi swlon's second point about the company reputation is a good one; the update and firmware improvement capability of the Devialet has been a notable feature. If it gets a reputation for being flakey or unreliable, that advantage will disappear. 

RE: Firmware 8.0 - samurai7595 - 19-May-2015

(19-May-2015, 22:49)NickB Wrote:
(19-May-2015, 21:33)Finn Wrote: I hope that devialet come with a software Update ,when i Reed many  give negative impression about 8,0 many say devialet  Loos there soul  and that is NOT good, so devialet you have a work ,so you Can give People someting they Like  just someting from me WHO have Update too 8,0 and i Think there miss someting ?

And what about those of us that really like V8 - what do we do ?

Don't worry, be happy...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo4OnQpwjkc

RE: Firmware 8.0 - AaronG - 20-May-2015

8.0 sounds just like 7.3 to me.

RE: Firmware 8.0 - marcor - 20-May-2015

I have 't upgraded from the 7.1.1 yet but I wonder if they really changed willingly the sonic behaviour from the 7.1.3 beta and the 8.0. Usually a beta is done to test features and bug, it isn't really smart to start changing again key features from a beta to an official release.

RE: Firmware 8.0 - AaronG - 20-May-2015

My speakers aren't SAMmed. Maybe the combination of the new dynamic power system with the new SAM is making a difference for some folks?