Devialet Chat
Firmware 8.0 - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet News (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-News)
+--- Thread: Firmware 8.0 (/Thread-Firmware-8-0)

RE: Firmware 8.0 - hk6230 - 20-May-2015

For the past few days, doing a little experiment by setting the wattage to 60W on my D200's speaker configuration, with DPM and SAM turned on. According to a former Devialet dealer's claim that with such setting, my D200 will drive up the current more which should produce better sound on my KEF LS50.

But I was wondering, isn't DPM suppose to do this exactly?

RE: Firmware 8.0 - wikeeboy - 20-May-2015

(20-May-2015, 03:13)hk6230 Wrote: For the past few days, doing a little experiment by setting the wattage to 60W on my D200's speaker configuration, with DPM and SAM turned on. According to a former Devialet dealer's claim that with such setting, my D200 will drive up the current more which should produce better sound on my KEF LS50.

But I was wondering, isn't DPM suppose to do this exactly?

So how does it sound? Better or worse set at 60w?

RE: Firmware 8.0 - warpeon - 20-May-2015

Hk6230, did it work?

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Riddo - 20-May-2015

My impressions, short version.
 7.1.3 Much better mid and treble c.f. 7.1.1 and more powerful, realistic bass. A huge upgrade for me.
8.0 Less beguiling in the mids than 7.1.3 and leaner bass but still a significant upgrade over 7.1.1 in these areas.
 I've tried all three flavours on two other people and the verdict is unanimous! (no hints given about firmware and coin toss to decide which plays first etc.)
 The winner so far is 7.1.3, though I do have a caveat about over ripe bass on some tracks.

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Jean-Marie - 20-May-2015

(20-May-2015, 04:23)Riddo Wrote: My impressions, short version.
 7.1.3 Much better mid and treble c.f. 7.1.1 and more powerful, realistic bass. A huge upgrade for me.
8.0 Less beguiling in the mids than 7.1.3 and leaner bass but still a significant upgrade over 7.1.1 in these areas.
 I've tried all three flavours on two other people and the verdict is unanimous! (no hints given about firmware and coin toss to decide which plays first etc.)
 The winner so far is 7.1.3, though I do have a caveat about over ripe bass on some tracks.

Did you do the test with subsonic filter on (as it is by default) on 8.0?

Thanks,

Jean-Marie

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Saint0 - 20-May-2015

(19-May-2015, 16:23)Sylvain27 Wrote:
(19-May-2015, 09:51)Saint0 Wrote:
(19-May-2015, 09:28)Saint0 Wrote:
(18-May-2015, 12:13)G51 Wrote: Hello, Saint0. Jeff Fritz, Editor of Soundstage.com, once evaluated the expert line (of course not V8.0.0) and said it was dead silent even in his sound-treated listening room. So what comes the problem of the low frequency heart-beat-like rumble and the sudden outburst of very loud noise we heard? Electrical interference from our home electricity network? The later firmware? Or any other factors? Saint0 did you plug the Expert line direct to wall socket or use a power conditioner?

I'm pretty sure power is clean. D250 is connected to PS Audio P5 with Shunyata Z-PC10 power cord, and the P5 goes to MIT 20A in-wall conditioner/surge protector. I'm surprised to hear the low frequency rumble & beating noise, as well as the glitches with SAM 2.0; both happened after the V8.0 update. Unit was clean and dead silent running V7 prior to the update.

I've contacted Devialet, they're supposedly looking into it. This is the first time I had problems with their F/W update.

I'd like to add that V8.0 is running OK under "nominal conditions" playing music at -33dB to -20dB. The operating temperature is 4 to 5'C lower than V7.1.1.

However, SAM has minimal effect on my Focal Scala V1. Sound stage opens up a bit with SAM, but not much changes in the bass. SAM 2.0 is even more subtle than 1.0, not sure if it's worth the trouble. I don't noticed much difference changing the SAM % either. I'm wondering if other Scala V1 users have the same experience?
Hello, I have older Focal Utopia speakers, a pair of Diva. Devialet borrowed my own pair to be SAMed, so I hope the correction is the right one! Wink   I have a similar experience, SAM does not change completely the bass, and I think it's because we have speakers with already a good bass response without SAM. However if you look at the boomers while playing double bass for instance, SAM correction can be seen immediately at times, movements of the speakers' membrane have a much larger amplitude with SAM.
  Best regards,
Sylvain 

Thanks for the feedback Sylvian.

I've seen video's of other SAM'd speakers, like the B&W 802D, on YouTube. It looks like some kind of subsonic vibrations with SAM. Deviate's site claims 10mm excursion for the Scala V1 with SAM, (I thought it used to be 17mm with SAM 1.0 ??). I was hoping to see some visible evidence of SAM in action, but my Scala's woofers don't seem to move in & out with SAM like the others. I've tried it with Subsonic Filter On & Off, but I've not noticed any major visible difference in the woofer's behavior with or without SAM. I usually set the volume at -33dB to -20dB max, may be I'm not playing them loud enough?

RE: Firmware 8.0 - hk6230 - 20-May-2015

(20-May-2015, 03:23)warpeon Wrote: Hk6230, did it work?

Well, I'm not very good at describing SQ, but overall I find it sounded softer, hence need to turn up the volume higher, which also means I can listen to more details, too. Let me listen a bit more and I will give more of my impressions.

May I have you guys test it, too. And share your impressions, too.

RE: Firmware 8.0 - completeluxury - 20-May-2015

wouldnt adjusting the max wattage simply mean your speakers cant go as loud?

instead of 100 points of volume control between 0 and 200 watts you would now have 100 points of volume control between 0 and 60 watts which is why it sounds softer and you need to raise the volume higher.

With electrical principals there is no reason why current would go higher with a decreased max wattage. i think the dealer just doesnt know any basic formulas.

The control of max wattage would basically be so if you have a speaker with an RMS of 280 watts on a Devialet 400 you cant turn up the volume higher than the speaker can handle and blow it up.

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Rodney Gold - 20-May-2015

Im not at all convinced by SAM.. I have heard it on quite a few speakers .. once you start turning volume up and go low in the bass , you can HEAR the SAM limiting the speakers ... On bigger speakers I have heard it on , the bass is overwhelming and is not that good (despite the room) on smaller speakers , when it reaches beyond the speakers woofer freq limits , you can hear the clucking of the excursion limiting.
I ran test tones thru my pals vivid Audio G3 speakers when helping him set up .. normally 27hz , SAM extends it to 14hz.. 20-40hz tones at not that high a level , the bad effects of sAM were majorly audible. We tested at various %'s of SAM , whether it was 15% or 100% , same thing... The speakers sounded a lot better without SAM.. the one thing SAM did do was throw a wider soundstage and this was more of a reason to use it than the bass extension..
SAM seems to work well on small speakers at lower levels.
At any rate , I use DIRAC on my system and whatever SAM does sonically wise , DIRAC does it way better with a lot more control..and it takes the room into account..
As to Ver8 .. well on my D premier .. it seems to make no difference sound wise..I gain very little features wise..
I didnt try a new config using the new "le confugurator" on Ver 7.1.1.. so not sure if this indeed backward compatible.

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Hifi_swlon - 20-May-2015

Nick B - I'm pretty sure there was a difference in sound between 7.1.1 and 7.1.3beta. I mean it could be imagined I suppose, these things are complex, but I felt it was pretty clear difference after an evenings listen and didn't like it.

Marcor - my guess is the beta had some of the functionality of v8 (maybe SAM 2 or something) but was released way too late to get any useful feedback since they released 8 pretty much straight after. I can't imagine they're the same, as there were enough changes in 8 to require a new Configurator. BUt I could be very wrong, and its not like Devialet are very free with the info!

I'm really concerned that it might not be possible to do new configurations for previous firmware - essentially meaning you have to upgrade to make any changes.
I was still tinkering and means I wouldn't even be able to adjust my tone control settings. Has this ever happened before or its a first?