Devialet Chat
Firmware 8.0 - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet News (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-News)
+--- Thread: Firmware 8.0 (/Thread-Firmware-8-0)

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Pim - 20-May-2015

I'm nowhere near home and won't be for a while still but I thought I would have a look at the configurator. There's nothing about DPM to find. Does turning it on and off require a button assigned (and did I miss that?) or does it just work at the end of the tone controls?
Interesting to get your thoughts on 8.0 SQ. With very little time home I think I'll stay with 7.1.3 for now. (can't afford to waste a night when you only have one every so often)

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Jean-Marie - 20-May-2015

(20-May-2015, 11:41)GuillaumeB Wrote: More critical listening... I am now sure I prefer DPM off.

8.0 is very similar to 7.1.3, overall it's a big improvement on 7.1.1 in my setup.

I still think I prefer 7.1.3 but I can easily live with 8.0

Once again I'm finding DSD sounds especially good but I need to get my hands on a bit more material, shame it's so expensive... go figure!

Given that MAT converts DSD to 40bit/384kHZ PCM, surely DXD can't be too far away?  Cool

Guillaume

Guillaume, you prefer it with DPM off, but what was your subsonic filter setting?

I'm away, so I cannot test the effect of DPM on my config, but I could distinctly hear a reduction of the bass level with subsonic filter on instead of off.

Thanks,

Jean-Marie

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Pim - 20-May-2015

(20-May-2015, 11:56)Jean-Marie Wrote:
(20-May-2015, 11:41)GuillaumeB Wrote: More critical listening... I am now sure I prefer DPM off.

8.0 is very similar to 7.1.3, overall it's a big improvement on 7.1.1 in my setup.

Once again I'm finding DSD sounds especially good but I need to get my hands on a bit more material, shame it's so expensive... go figure!

Given that MAT converts DSD to 40bit/384kHZ PCM, surely DXD can't be too far away?  Cool

Guillaume

Guillaume, you prefer it with DPM off, but what was your subsonic filter setting?

I'm away, so I cannot test the effect of DPM on my config, but I could distinctly hear a reduction of the bass level with subsonic filter on instead of off.

Thanks,

Jean-Marie

Ha! That means your ears go sub sonic!  Smile Lucky you

RE: Firmware 8.0 - GuillaumeB - 20-May-2015

(20-May-2015, 11:56)Jean-Marie Wrote: Guillaume, you prefer it with DPM off, but what was your subsonic filter setting?

Thanks,

Jean-Marie

Hi Jean-Marie, I have subsonic filter switched off. I haven't really experimented much with this, I think I switched it off right away.

Cheers

Guillaume

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Jean-Marie - 20-May-2015

(20-May-2015, 11:58)Pim van Vliet Wrote:
(20-May-2015, 11:56)Jean-Marie Wrote:

Guillaume

Thanks,

Jean-Marie

Ha! That means your ears go sub sonic!  Smile Lucky you

They don't, but unfortunately a subsonic filter is not a brick wall under 20 Hz. I did test it on 40Hz, 30Hz and 20Hz test tones and could clearly hear a noticeable difference of level as early as 30Hz, which is not subsonic and very present in the kind of music I'm listening: pipe organ.

Jean-Marie

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Riddo - 20-May-2015

(20-May-2015, 05:31)Jean-Marie Wrote:
(20-May-2015, 04:23)Riddo Wrote: My impressions, short version.
 7.1.3 Much better mid and treble c.f. 7.1.1 and more powerful, realistic bass. A huge upgrade for me.
8.0 Less beguiling in the mids than 7.1.3 and leaner bass but still a significant upgrade over 7.1.1 in these areas.
 I've tried all three flavours on two other people and the verdict is unanimous! (no hints given about firmware and coin toss to decide which plays first etc.)
 The winner so far is 7.1.3, though I do have a caveat about over ripe bass on some tracks.

Did you do the test with subsonic filter on (as it is by default) on 8.0?

Thanks,

Jean-Marie

Switched off.
  Cheers

RE: Firmware 8.0 - completeluxury - 20-May-2015

(20-May-2015, 11:56)Pim van Vliet Wrote: I'm nowhere near home and won't be for a while still but I thought I would have a look at the configurator. There's nothing about DPM to find. Does turning it on and off require a button assigned (and did I miss that?) or does it just work at the end of the tone controls?
Interesting to get your thoughts on 8.0 SQ. With very little time home I think I'll stay with 7.1.3 for now. (can't afford to waste a night when you only have one every so often)

its under general settings / power management

RE: Firmware 8.0 - ogs - 20-May-2015

(19-May-2015, 22:35)Hifi_swlon Wrote: 8 configs don't seem backwards compatible. I keep all mine but I'd left the 8 one on there and 7.1.1 didn't like it and forced factory defaults.

Again, not really very tidily done - all a bit rushed if you ask me. It doesnt take long to get a reputation as a company that releases half baked things. I do hope Devialet stop the trend soon.

I asked Devialet support about config compatability:

"Actually the online configurator can still creates configuration compatible with the firmware 7.1.1 and beyond.

The only things you should be aware of is to not select some new features if you want to read your configuration with the firmware 7.1.1
Other than that, the engineers confirmed that you can still use the configurator with the ancient firmware.
Best regards
Customer Care"

I am definitely not sure "....not select some new features..."  is the best way to do this!

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Manoet - 20-May-2015

"not select some new features"!?! Could they be any less specific! Why not specifically itemize what works or doesn't? Oh wait, I'm sorry, I forgot... that's our job! I guess customer care means they support our efforts at flailing about. Whatever happened to a, b & c work but d, e, and f don't. I want a job like that!

Best regards,
Customer (Couldn't) Care (Less)

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Hifi_swlon - 20-May-2015

(20-May-2015, 13:01)ogs Wrote: I am definitely not sure "....not select some new features..."  is the best way to do this!

Mmm, not select new features that you may or may not know you've selected…. good thinking.. very foolproof!

I'm pretty sure I didn't select any new features with a config that wouldn't work with 7.1.1, I just didn't turn OFF the DPM feature…..

Will be interesting to see if I get the same response back. I bundled in a lot of other questions so may be a while...