Devialet Chat
Firmware 8.0 - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet News (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-News)
+--- Thread: Firmware 8.0 (/Thread-Firmware-8-0)

RE: Firmware 8.0 - iamwappie - 20-May-2015

I my believe my system sounds better with SAM off than when on. This is (probably) not how it should be. What strikes me most is that when I turn SAM on, voices become smoother but to an extend that it is at cost of details. Less clarity, less treble maybe. Now I wonder if this is a shared opinion or has to to with the SAM profile for my speakers?

I did not remember to have noticed this effect on 7.1.1 firmware and I've still planned to take a moment to revert and test but for now I play with SAM off.

RE: Firmware 8.0 - hahe - 20-May-2015

(20-May-2015, 13:58)iamwappie Wrote: I my believe my system sounds better with SAM off than when on. This is (probably) not how it should be. What strikes me most is that when I turn SAM on, voices become smoother but to an extend that it is at cost of details. Less clarity, less treble maybe. Now I wonder if this is a shared opinion or has to to with the SAM profile for my speakers?

I did not remember to have noticed this effect on 7.1.1 firmware and I've still planned to take a moment to revert and test but for now I play with SAM off.

Today my first detailed listening session with FW8 (compared to 7.1.1).
B&W 800D with SAM on 37% and via Ethernet and USB connection - no DPM:

Pros
- Wider Sound Stage
- Clearer and more articulated bass
- USB quality significantly improved

Cons
- A lot of high and mid frequency emphasis
- Voices and Instruments did Sound more Natural with 7.1.1
- Amp ist getting warmer with DPM Off

Will further Continue to Test and Share Findlings

RE: Firmware 8.0 - ogs - 20-May-2015

(20-May-2015, 11:41)GuillaumeB Wrote: More critical listening... I am now sure I prefer DPM off.

8.0 is very similar to 7.1.3, overall it's a big improvement on 7.1.1 in my setup.

I still think I prefer 7.1.3 but I can easily live with 8.0

Once again I'm finding DSD sounds especially good but I need to get my hands on a bit more material, shame it's so expensive... go figure!

Given that MAT converts DSD to 40bit/384kHZ PCM, surely DXD can't be too far away?  Cool

Guillaume

Thank you Guillaume. I briefely tried 8, but with DPM on. I thought the 'magic' of 7.1.3 was gone. If 8 with DPM off is like 7.1.3 I will try once more. With DPM on I found 8 to sound more like 7.1.1. Lacking the drama and dimensionality of 7.1.3.

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Antoine - 20-May-2015

Looking at that DPM function again, it is under 'power saving' in both "Le Configurateur" (Big Grin) and in the config file. I agree with Kunter that this power saving stuff is usually a bad thing for SQ. (of course solely based on feelings/experience in other area's and not solid "science" since I haven't got the a clue what DPM does exactly!)

I've prepared two configs, one with DPM OFF and one ON.

RE: Firmware 8.0 - GuillaumeB - 20-May-2015

(20-May-2015, 15:40)Antoine Wrote: I've prepared two configs, one with DPM OFF and one ON.

Cool! I look forward to hearing your impressions.

Guillaume

(20-May-2015, 15:42)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(20-May-2015, 15:40)Antoine Wrote: I've prepared two configs, one with DPM OFF and one ON.

Cool! I look forward to hearing your impressions.

Guillaume

Now if only I could find my old 2GB "D-Premier" SD card (got a new 4GB SD with the upgrade to 250) so I can easily swap configs... Big Grin I know I still have that laying around somewhere!

RE: Firmware 8.0 - NickB - 20-May-2015

I am sure the 2GB one will sound better  Rolleyes

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Vivialet - 20-May-2015

(20-May-2015, 15:16)hahe Wrote: Today my first detailed listening session with FW8 (compared to 7.1.1).
B&W 800D with SAM on 37% and via Ethernet and USB connection - no DPM:

Pros
- Wider Sound Stage
- Clearer and more articulated bass
- USB quality significantly improved

Cons
- A lot of high and mid frequency emphasis
- Voices and Instruments did Sound more Natural with 7.1.1
- Amp ist getting warmer with DPM Off

Will further Continue to Test and Share Findlings

I have just compared USB to AIR Wifi again. You are right, USB has been improved. It is at least on par with AIR now, maybe even better. Need to do more listening...

I believe this hasn't been posted yet!

WHITE PAPER
Newest inventions
Munich High End Show 2015

http://en.devialet.com/docs/whitepaperfirmwarev8.pdf

edit: Not a single word on DPM or ICM though...

RE: Firmware 8.0 - PhilP - 20-May-2015

The description of SAM V2 makes me wonder whether some speakers which have already been SAMed will need new profiles to take full advantage e.g. distinct modelling of left and right speakers (I seem to remember reading that only a single speaker was measured for SAM V1?), and were full frequency range measurements taken for SAM V1?