Devialet Chat
Firmware 8.0 - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet News (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-News)
+--- Thread: Firmware 8.0 (/Thread-Firmware-8-0)

RE: Firmware 8.0 - NickB - 21-May-2015

(21-May-2015, 07:01)ogs Wrote:
(21-May-2015, 04:25)andrewd Wrote: when is 8.1 due?  I generally avoid the x.0 release of any software like the plague.  My system is sounding great so I am a bit hesitant to mess with it.

I agree with you. X.0 versions often has errors.  In a follow up response, among other things, Devialet said the following:

snip
..Rest assure that this is only the first version of firmware 8.0, so corrections will be implemented in version 8.1 and beyond....
snip/

I'd hope that 8.1 would not be too far away as Devialet is probably getting lots of critical feedback for 8.0.0 at the moment.

The poll on this forum would tend to disagree

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Sylvain27 - 21-May-2015

(21-May-2015, 00:13)Saint0 Wrote:
(20-May-2015, 09:01)Sylvain27 Wrote:
(20-May-2015, 05:58)Saint0 Wrote:
(19-May-2015, 16:23)Sylvain27 Wrote:
(19-May-2015, 09:51)Saint0 Wrote: I'd like to add that V8.0 is running OK under "nominal conditions" playing music at -33dB to -20dB. The operating temperature is 4 to 5'C lower than V7.1.1.

However, SAM has minimal effect on my Focal Scala V1. Sound stage opens up a bit with SAM, but not much changes in the bass. SAM 2.0 is even more subtle than 1.0, not sure if it's worth the trouble. I don't noticed much difference changing the SAM % either. I'm wondering if other Scala V1 users have the same experience?
Hello, I have older Focal Utopia speakers, a pair of Diva. Devialet borrowed my own pair to be SAMed, so I hope the correction is the right one! Wink   I have a similar experience, SAM does not change completely the bass, and I think it's because we have speakers with already a good bass response without SAM. However if you look at the boomers while playing double bass for instance, SAM correction can be seen immediately at times, movements of the speakers' membrane have a much larger amplitude with SAM.
  Best regards,
Sylvain 

Thanks for the feedback Sylvian.

I've seen video's of other SAM'd speakers, like the B&W 802D, on YouTube. It looks like some kind of subsonic vibrations with SAM. Deviate's site claims 10mm excursion for the Scala V1 with SAM, (I thought it used to be 17mm with SAM 1.0 ??). I was hoping to see some visible evidence of SAM in action, but my Scala's woofers don't seem to move in & out with SAM like the others. I've tried it with Subsonic Filter On & Off, but I've not noticed any major visible difference in the woofer's behavior with or without SAM. I usually set the volume at -33dB to -20dB max, may be I'm not playing them loud enough?
  Well, I am quite surprised. On the video, the tune played is track 4 of this album http://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/album/jacques-loussier-trio-the-best-of-play-bach-jacques-loussier-trio/4892843002596?qref=dac_7 (Gavotte in D major). I just tried at -20 dB the beginning of the track, SAM ON/OFF is obvious, the woofers move much more with SAM ON (100%) and if I reduce SAM %, movements of the woofer are smaller (subsonic filter OFF, I did no try with ON). I know that there is a big woofer on the Scala and 2 smaller woofers on the Diva, but B&W 802D has a big woofer too. I remember that someone who have a pair of Focal Diablo (one of the first speaker SAMed by Devialet) noticed these big movements too. What source are you using?
Thanks, I'll try that one out. I used Massive Attack's "Angel" to check SAM On/Off before, which is the reference track on the Scala V1 SAM webpage.
I made a test : I converted the lossless flac file into MP3 (Gavotte in D by Jacques Loussier). Even with MP3 file, SAM can be seen without problem.

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Saint0 - 21-May-2015

(21-May-2015, 08:32)Sylvain27 Wrote:
(21-May-2015, 00:13)Saint0 Wrote:
(20-May-2015, 09:01)Sylvain27 Wrote:
(20-May-2015, 05:58)Saint0 Wrote:
(19-May-2015, 16:23)Sylvain27 Wrote: Hello, I have older Focal Utopia speakers, a pair of Diva. Devialet borrowed my own pair to be SAMed, so I hope the correction is the right one! Wink   I have a similar experience, SAM does not change completely the bass, and I think it's because we have speakers with already a good bass response without SAM. However if you look at the boomers while playing double bass for instance, SAM correction can be seen immediately at times, movements of the speakers' membrane have a much larger amplitude with SAM.
  Best regards,
Sylvain 

Thanks for the feedback Sylvian.

I've seen video's of other SAM'd speakers, like the B&W 802D, on YouTube. It looks like some kind of subsonic vibrations with SAM. Deviate's site claims 10mm excursion for the Scala V1 with SAM, (I thought it used to be 17mm with SAM 1.0 ??). I was hoping to see some visible evidence of SAM in action, but my Scala's woofers don't seem to move in & out with SAM like the others. I've tried it with Subsonic Filter On & Off, but I've not noticed any major visible difference in the woofer's behavior with or without SAM. I usually set the volume at -33dB to -20dB max, may be I'm not playing them loud enough?
  Well, I am quite surprised. On the video, the tune played is track 4 of this album http://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/album/jacques-loussier-trio-the-best-of-play-bach-jacques-loussier-trio/4892843002596?qref=dac_7 (Gavotte in D major). I just tried at -20 dB the beginning of the track, SAM ON/OFF is obvious, the woofers move much more with SAM ON (100%) and if I reduce SAM %, movements of the woofer are smaller (subsonic filter OFF, I did no try with ON). I know that there is a big woofer on the Scala and 2 smaller woofers on the Diva, but B&W 802D has a big woofer too. I remember that someone who have a pair of Focal Diablo (one of the first speaker SAMed by Devialet) noticed these big movements too. What source are you using?
Thanks, I'll try that one out. I used Massive Attack's "Angel" to check SAM On/Off before, which is the reference track on the Scala V1 SAM webpage.
I made a test : I converted the lossless flac file into MP3 (Gavotte in D by Jacques Loussier). Even with MP3 file, SAM can be seen without problem.

Hi Sylvian - I tried the Jacques Loussier Trio Bach Gavotte, and I've finally seen SAM in action with the Scala at the beginning of the track. The large low frequency excursions only happened briefly in a couple of sustained double-bass passages. Most of the time there's no noticeable changes, visually or in SQ. The Scala's woofers just don't move in & out that much, pretty well damped. It's probably a good sign that the Devialet is having iron-grip control of the woofers. Thanks for introducing me to a nice SAM test track.

I remember back in the day, my early college stereo, playing vinyls, I noticed the woofers of my speakers tend to move in & out all the time either from some kind of ultra-low frequency subsonic noise or the amp was getting sloppy, certain not because of SAM!

As you've mentioned, I didn't noticed much change in the bass with SAM. The most obvious difference with SAM is the slightly expanded sound stage in my experience; and SAM 2.0 is even more subtle than 1.0. Maybe my hearing range has diminished at the low & upper end with old age. Sad

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Sylvain27 - 21-May-2015

(21-May-2015, 09:20)Saint0 Wrote Wrote:
Quote:I remember back in the day, my early college stereo, playing vinyls, I noticed the woofers of my speakers tend to move in & out all the time either from some kind of ultra-low frequency subsonic noise or the amp was getting sloppy, certain not because of SAM!

As you've mentioned, I didn't noticed much change in the bass with SAM. The most obvious difference with SAM is the slightly expanded sound stage in my experience; and SAM 2.0 is even more subtle than 1.0. Maybe my hearing range has diminished at the low & upper end with old age. Sad
As I am teaching physics, I am sure that my hearing range has diminished in the upper end. More than 10 years ago, one of my pupils could hear a 18 kHz sound (she was the only one in the group). At 15 kHz, I could not hear anything... Sad
  In the low end, I don't think we loose so much. But fortunately I still enjoy listening to music very much Wink .

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Saint0 - 21-May-2015

(19-May-2015, 15:58)NickB Wrote:
(19-May-2015, 12:35)G51 Wrote:
(19-May-2015, 09:28)Saint0 Wrote:
(18-May-2015, 12:13)G51 Wrote: Hello, Saint0. Jeff Fritz, Editor of Soundstage.com, once evaluated the expert line (of course not V8.0.0) and said it was dead silent even in his sound-treated listening room. So what comes the problem of the low frequency heart-beat-like rumble and the sudden outburst of very loud noise we heard? Electrical interference from our home electricity network? The later firmware? Or any other factors? Saint0 did you plug the Expert line direct to wall socket or use a power conditioner?

I'm pretty sure power is clean. D250 is connected to PS Audio P5 with Shunyata Z-PC10 power cord, and the P5 goes to MIT 20A in-wall conditioner/surge protector. I'm surprised to hear the low frequency rumble & beating noise, as well as the glitches with SAM 2.0; both happened after the V8.0 update. Unit was clean and dead silent running V7 prior to the update.

I've contacted Devialet, they're supposedly looking into it. This is the first time I had problems with their F/W update.

I don't want to experience noise problem when supposingly  playing the most advanced amplifier in the world. Hope Devialet acts fast. All in all, the views towards V8.0.0 are dividing.

Turned my D400 up to plus 30 dB last night and there is absolute silence on all the inputs - except phone for obvious reasons, I even asked SWMBO to listen as well just in case I had gone temporarily deaf due to the volume !!!

Hi NickB - I'm glad your D400 works OK with V8.0. You didn't play music at +30dB I hope. Do you have DPM On?

I checked my D250 again today, still generates a low freq rumble tone at above +10dB with no input signals (Digital 1, Coax), and turns into beating low freq rumbles with high pitch glitches (can be SAM 2.0 limiting on top of the rumble issue) at around +30dB with Subsonic filter On. I'll try disabling DPM tomorrow, and see if it makes a difference. May be one too many control-loops fighting with each other.

I got a reply from Devialet, their engineers are looking into it.

RE: Firmware 8.0 - ogs - 21-May-2015

(21-May-2015, 08:31)NickB Wrote:
(21-May-2015, 07:01)ogs Wrote:
(21-May-2015, 04:25)andrewd Wrote: when is 8.1 due?  I generally avoid the x.0 release of any software like the plague.  My system is sounding great so I am a bit hesitant to mess with it.

I agree with you. X.0 versions often has errors.  In a follow up response, among other things, Devialet said the following:

snip
..Rest assure that this is only the first version of firmware 8.0, so corrections will be implemented in version 8.1 and beyond....
snip/

I'd hope that 8.1 would not be too far away as Devialet is probably getting lots of critical feedback for 8.0.0 at the moment.

The poll on this forum would tend to disagree
Yes, but only a few replies so far. Devialet has some work to do on DPM to mention just one thing. And Devialet says themselves that 8.0.0 needs improvement so I think an updated version is not too far away. On the other hand Devialet has not been very quick to fix issues lately so we'll just have to wait and see...

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Confused - 21-May-2015

(19-May-2015, 23:38)Damon Wrote: I may be missing it, but I just looked on the Devialet website, and 7.1.3 is not available to download. I guess that it was a beta version, but since others here can tell that V8.0 is different sonically, it's a shame to have missed the chance to try it. Ah, well, 'you snooze, you lose'. 

The 7.1.3 beta version is still available on the Devialet website, under the "assistance" section, then click on "Announcement".  It's there, but very well hidden to be honest.

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Vivialet - 21-May-2015

one easy option to make all new functions available via the 2 remote buttons would be to create something like a menu structure that can be operated with the 2 buttons and the wheel. They could simply add some functions like ICM On/Off or Sub on/off to the tone control menu so that you can toggle them with the wheel or with the second button.
Maybe not the best solution but better than not being able to access some functions at all.

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Damon - 21-May-2015

(21-May-2015, 13:02)Confused Wrote: The 7.1.3 beta version is still available on the Devialet website, under the "assistance" section, then click on "Announcement".  It's there, but very well hidden to be honest.

Ah ha! That is well hidden. I downloaded it, and will add it to the weekend's entertainment agenda. Thanks very much. 

Firmware 8.0 - ledesc - 21-May-2015

On the Devialet site it's written Client Firmware and the directory is SW 7.1.3 CLIENT....