Devialet Chat
Firmware 8.0 - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet News (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-News)
+--- Thread: Firmware 8.0 (/Thread-Firmware-8-0)

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Mohmm - 22-May-2015

(22-May-2015, 08:12)hahe Wrote: Pros
- Wider Sound Stage (although seems to create a little bit of echo effect like in a larger concert hall)

Hi Hahe, You are mentioning an echo. Yesterday I also noticed a faint echo of the music being played but just an octave or so lower in pitch. It seemed to be on the left side of my sweet spot, but I am not absolutely sure about this.

Can others with their discriminating ears listen for an echo to confirm this? This would be a real flaw.

This was on FW v. 8, D800

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Vivialet - 22-May-2015

I never heard something like an echo with V8. Maybe there is really an echo on the recoding which you notice for the first time with V8 ?
7.1.3 beta and 8.0 show definitly more details than 7.1.1.

RE: Firmware 8.0 - beerman - 22-May-2015

(22-May-2015, 18:18)Vivialet Wrote: FI never heard something like an echo with V8. Maybe there is really an echo on the recoding which you notice for the first time with V8 ?

Agree.
I can hear the slightest touch of fingertips on a bass-string, that I haven't noticed before. And drum-skins resonate even longer. I like this 8.0 thing soundwise.
Sorry, that it is not free of bugs.

RE: Firmware 8.0 - mauidan - 22-May-2015

(21-May-2015, 16:34)GuillaumeB Wrote: Hi guys would it be too much trouble to ask you to all vote re firmware 8.0? Thanks!!  Smile

http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=1259

Guillaume

I think we need another poll: DPM - on/off.

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Saint0 - 23-May-2015

(21-May-2015, 10:23)Saint0 Wrote:
(19-May-2015, 15:58)NickB Wrote:
(19-May-2015, 12:35)G51 Wrote:
(19-May-2015, 09:28)Saint0 Wrote:
(18-May-2015, 12:13)G51 Wrote: Hello, Saint0. Jeff Fritz, Editor of Soundstage.com, once evaluated the expert line (of course not V8.0.0) and said it was dead silent even in his sound-treated listening room. So what comes the problem of the low frequency heart-beat-like rumble and the sudden outburst of very loud noise we heard? Electrical interference from our home electricity network? The later firmware? Or any other factors? Saint0 did you plug the Expert line direct to wall socket or use a power conditioner?

I'm pretty sure power is clean. D250 is connected to PS Audio P5 with Shunyata Z-PC10 power cord, and the P5 goes to MIT 20A in-wall conditioner/surge protector. I'm surprised to hear the low frequency rumble & beating noise, as well as the glitches with SAM 2.0; both happened after the V8.0 update. Unit was clean and dead silent running V7 prior to the update.

I've contacted Devialet, they're supposedly looking into it. This is the first time I had problems with their F/W update.

I don't want to experience noise problem when supposingly  playing the most advanced amplifier in the world. Hope Devialet acts fast. All in all, the views towards V8.0.0 are dividing.

Turned my D400 up to plus 30 dB last night and there is absolute silence on all the inputs - except phone for obvious reasons, I even asked SWMBO to listen as well just in case I had gone temporarily deaf due to the volume !!!

Hi NickB - I'm glad your D400 works OK with V8.0. You didn't play music at +30dB I hope. Do you have DPM On?

I checked my D250 again today, still generates a low freq rumble tone at above +10dB with no input signals (Digital 1, Coax), and turns into beating low freq rumbles with high pitch glitches (can be SAM 2.0 limiting on top of the rumble issue) at around +30dB with Subsonic filter On. I'll try disabling DPM tomorrow, and see if it makes a difference. May be one too many control-loops fighting with each other.

I got a reply from Devialet, their engineers are looking into it.
Did a fresh install of V8.0. At first power up, the low freq beating rumble noise with no signal at high volume was gone; but SAM 2.0 hard clipping, glitches with ultra-low freq / subsonic single tone sweep was still there. I tested the unit again after playing a few tracks, and the low freq rumble with no signal problem returned, and it's repeatable.

I tried power on/off the unit a few times, it looks like the low freq rumble problem is intermittent at first power up, sometimes the problem is gone at first power up; but always returns after playing music for some time. I've tried with DPM on & off, no difference.

V8.0 seems to work OK at normal listening level, around -20dB max, but unstable at the extreme limits.

RE: Firmware 8.0 - hahe - 23-May-2015

(22-May-2015, 19:19)beerman Wrote:
(22-May-2015, 18:18)Vivialet Wrote: FI never heard something like an echo with V8. Maybe there is really an echo on the recoding which you notice for the first time with V8 ?

Agree.
I can hear the slightest touch of fingertips on a bass-string, that I haven't noticed before. And drum-skins resonate even longer. I like this 8.0 thing soundwise.
Sorry, that it is not free of bugs.

Did some further testing and in my chain the perceived echo / resonance as well as high and mid focus seems to be related to SAM %

With release 7.1.1 I did have SAM at 37% as otherwise bass would have been to dominant

With release 8.0 I now have it with 100% which seems to take away the overemphasis on high´s and mid´s at the same time keeping control of the bass
If I go less than 50% bass control is getting less and high and mid are getting more dominant
Not sure whether this is related to updated SAM v2 or a "feature" related to .0 version of new firmware

IMHO also did compare 7.1.1 and 7.1.3 and for me the sound stage is a little wider with 7.1.3 and the rest of tonality seems to be pretty identical

For the moment going with 8.0, no DPM and SAM at 100% and really enjoying the SQ (although the .0 version doesn´t seem to have been fully QAed in all areas...)

RE: Firmware 8.0 - philoouu - 23-May-2015

(21-May-2015, 05:16)philoouu Wrote: I will finally move to 8.0 and try SAM with my Wilson Benesch Vertex exchanging my set of speakers between my 2 systems.
I have read the different posts regarding the Sam Adjustement and it looks like depending on the firmware, the fourth press of the tone button adjusts SAM percentage but it may depends if the other button of the remote control corresponds to SAM on/off.
What is the situation with firmware 8.0 ? Does it need the SAM on/off button to adjust the percentage with tone button or can we adjust with tone button without SAM on/off button ?
Thanks
philoouu

I just moved to 8.0 with DPM and Subsonic Filter on.
I have done some test with Sam % putting the SAM on/off on the remonte control. Eventually I have found almost no impact with low percentage so only 100% made some sense. The speaker membranes are moving in a noticeable way with 100%.
Finally I have removed the SAM on/off on the remote control and just activated SAM, so I would imagine it is 100% per default. At least I can keep the Mute option on the remote control.

I guess many people have moved to SAM 100% with the new firmware where before it looks like more balanced... I am really wondering why Sam is so different between Sam v1 and v2 ?
Can anybody confirm that by default it is 100% if Sam activated but the Sam on/off is not selected on the remote ?
Also, I have not tested with DPM and Subsonic Filter off but as it on by default I would imagine it is kind of better to leave it like that....

thanks
philoouu

RE: Firmware 8.0 - hahe - 23-May-2015

(23-May-2015, 06:16)philoouu Wrote:
(21-May-2015, 05:16)philoouu Wrote: I will finally move to 8.0 and try SAM with my Wilson Benesch Vertex exchanging my set of speakers between my 2 systems.
I have read the different posts regarding the Sam Adjustement and it looks like depending on the firmware, the fourth press of the tone button adjusts SAM percentage but it may depends if the other button of the remote control corresponds to SAM on/off.
What is the situation with firmware 8.0 ? Does it need the SAM on/off button to adjust the percentage with tone button or can we adjust with tone button without SAM on/off button ?
Thanks
philoouu

I just moved to 8.0 with DPM and Subsonic Filter on.
I have done some test with Sam % putting the SAM on/off on the remonte control. Eventually I have found almost no impact with low percentage so only 100% made some sense. The speaker membranes are moving in a noticeable way with 100%.
Finally I have removed the SAM on/off on the remote control and just activated SAM, so I would imagine it is 100% per default. At least I can keep the Mute option on the remote control.

I guess many people have moved to SAM 100% with the new firmware where before it looks like more balanced... I am really wondering why Sam is so different between Sam v1 and v2 ?
Can anybody confirm that by default it is 100% if Sam activated but the Sam on/off is not selected on the remote ?
Also, I have not tested with DPM and Subsonic Filter off but as it on by default I would imagine it is kind of better to leave it like that....

thanks
philoouu

It seems to keep the last SAM % setting you did apply before removing SAM from your remote control
I did check this by setting 75%, removing from SAM and in a later configuration adding again - still at 75%

As for subsonic I would turn it off as per earlier posts in this thread as there is no reason to keep it on when listening via digital source
(I also have it off and it made an auditable difference with digital input when I had it on)

When listening to phono I do use RIAA 1976 which does include a subsonic filter

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Vivialet - 23-May-2015

SAM will use the last %-setting that you have selected. A new configuration does not change this value.

Firmware 8.0 - philoouu - 23-May-2015

Ok it happened to be at 100% when I could change the %. That explains.
Thanks
Philoouu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk