Devialet Chat
Firmware 8.0 - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet News (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-News)
+--- Thread: Firmware 8.0 (/Thread-Firmware-8-0)

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Vivialet - 23-May-2015

one hint: if you play DSD files with jRiver all DSP's are inactive. I'm using the parametric EQ to kill some room resonances which is not working when playing DSD files. Until Devialet comes up with a built in EQ that makes DSD unusable for me...and btw: I don't think that DSD is really better than HD PCM. Which makes me wonder why so many people are so keen to have it, especially as the download offers are very very limited, at least for my music taste. I would trade in DSD playback for a basic parametric EQ anytime...

RE: Firmware 8.0 - NickB - 23-May-2015

(23-May-2015, 12:21)Vivialet Wrote: I don't think that DSD is really better than HD PCM. Which makes me wonder why so many people are so keen to have it, especially as the download offers are very very limited, at least for my music taste. I would trade in DSD playback for a basic parametric EQ anytime...

A heretic - burn him, burn him  Big Grin

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Jean-Marie - 23-May-2015

(23-May-2015, 00:18)Saint0 Wrote:
(21-May-2015, 10:23)Saint0 Wrote:
(19-May-2015, 15:58)NickB Wrote:
(19-May-2015, 12:35)G51 Wrote:
(19-May-2015, 09:28)Saint0 Wrote: I'm pretty sure power is clean. D250 is connected to PS Audio P5 with Shunyata Z-PC10 power cord, and the P5 goes to MIT 20A in-wall conditioner/surge protector. I'm surprised to hear the low frequency rumble & beating noise, as well as the glitches with SAM 2.0; both happened after the V8.0 update. Unit was clean and dead silent running V7 prior to the update.

I've contacted Devialet, they're supposedly looking into it. This is the first time I had problems with their F/W update.

I don't want to experience noise problem when supposingly  playing the most advanced amplifier in the world. Hope Devialet acts fast. All in all, the views towards V8.0.0 are dividing.

Turned my D400 up to plus 30 dB last night and there is absolute silence on all the inputs - except phone for obvious reasons, I even asked SWMBO to listen as well just in case I had gone temporarily deaf due to the volume !!!

Hi NickB - I'm glad your D400 works OK with V8.0. You didn't play music at +30dB I hope. Do you have DPM On?

I checked my D250 again today, still generates a low freq rumble tone at above +10dB with no input signals (Digital 1, Coax), and turns into beating low freq rumbles with high pitch glitches (can be SAM 2.0 limiting on top of the rumble issue) at around +30dB with Subsonic filter On. I'll try disabling DPM tomorrow, and see if it makes a difference. May be one too many control-loops fighting with each other.

I got a reply from Devialet, their engineers are looking into it.
Did a fresh install of V8.0. At first power up, the low freq beating rumble noise with no signal at high volume was gone; but SAM 2.0 hard clipping, glitches with ultra-low freq / subsonic single tone sweep was still there. I tested the unit again after playing a few tracks, and the low freq rumble with no signal problem returned, and it's repeatable.

I tried power on/off the unit a few times, it looks like the low freq rumble problem is intermittent at first power up, sometimes the problem is gone at first power up; but always returns after playing music for some time. I've tried with DPM on & off, no difference.

V8.0 seems to work OK at normal listening level, around -20dB max, but unstable at the extreme limits.
I have been reproducing the same beating sound issue in my system and been able to isolate it to being SAM specific.

In a configuration where I don't populate the speaker profile or when SAM is off (on/off button on the remote) the amplifier is dead silent. When SAM is on, there is this beating sound with large excursion of the woofers.

Since my system benefits from SAM and that I do not listen to DSD, nor vinyl nor use it for home cinema, I reverted to V7.1.1, waiting for Devialet to fix the issue.

Jean-Marie

RE: Firmware 8.0 - hahe - 23-May-2015

(23-May-2015, 13:58)Jean-Marie Wrote:
(23-May-2015, 00:18)Saint0 Wrote: I have been reproducing the same beating sound issue in my system and been able to isolate it to being SAM specific.

In a configuration where I don't populate the speaker profile or when SAM is off (on/off button on the remote) the amplifier is dead silent. When SAM is on, there is this beating sound with large excursion of the woofers.

Since my system benefits from SAM and that I do not listen to DSD, nor vinyl nor use it for home cinema, I reverted to V7.1.1, waiting for Devialet to fix the issue.

Jean-Marie

Can confirm this issue - also happening on my D200 - first symptom is an irregular clicking noise at around -20db (no signal and ethernet chosen) and then same effect on bass when turning volume louder when SAM is turned on. Have reverted back to 7.1.1 until the issue has been fixed by Devialet and a version 8.1 released (no clicking noise or sound where it shouldn´t be with 7.1.1)

RE: Firmware 8.0 - AaronG - 23-May-2015

Just now I was listening with my partner to Aphex Twin ("Donkey Rhubarb") and she asked what I had done to the system that it sounded so much better. I did add a PSAudio regenerator, but I think the main culprit was 8.0. We both heard all sorts of stuff in the recording that neither had heard before, and it was no more or less analytical than before as far as I can tell. Just more. This is not to discount the negative responses, it may be due to system interaction. But in my living room it is working.

BTW I find that complex classical and complex electronic are for me the best way of assessing system's changes.

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Triggrhappy01 - 23-May-2015

I took some REW measurements of 7.1.1, 7.1.3b and 8.0.0.  With SAM defeated, and ICM defeated in 8.0.0, there is no significant difference between the three.  Any variation can be attributed to measurement error.

[Image: LS50%20FW%20versions_1.jpg~original]

However, in 8.0.0, ICM (Intelligent Cinema Mode) is defaulted to ON and you are most likely hearing its effects as shown below when you load 8.0.0 and a config file created under the "new" Configurator.

[Image: ICM%20on%20vs%20off.jpg~original]

As far as I can tell, there is no way to defeat ICM from the configurator - meaning the only way to turn it off is to map the "ICM on/off" function to a remote button and then manually defeat it.  It seems to be a smooth, subtle downward tilt toward the high frequencies, approx. 1dB down at 1 KHz, 2dB down at 10 KHz, and 3dB down at 20 KHz according to the graphs.  The hinge point appears to be around 100-150 Hz.  Note that ICM seems to adjusted dynamically depending on volume, and this represents only a single volume setting.

(Expert 200 was at level of -18 for all measurements.  KEF LS50s are on loan and it's unknown if they are fully broken in. UMIK and latest REW version for OS X.  Except for the "ICM on/off" remote control mapping, the same config file was used for all FW versions - downloaded 5/17 using the new Configurator.  The overall measurement level is low but all measurements were made under the same conditions.  FW version measurements taken approx. 30min apart.  DPM was on during all 8.0.0 measurements.  Room is 12x20 and reflective.  Speakers are along the long wall, microphone approx. 8ft from each speaker.)

RE: Firmware 8.0 - f1eng - 23-May-2015

(23-May-2015, 12:21)Vivialet Wrote: one hint: if you play DSD files with jRiver all DSP's are inactive. I'm using the parametric EQ to kill some room resonances which is not working when playing DSD files. Until Devialet comes up with a built in EQ that makes DSD unusable for me...and btw: I don't think that DSD is really better than HD PCM. Which makes me wonder why so many people are so keen to have it, especially as the download offers are very very limited, at least for my music taste. I would trade in DSD playback for a basic parametric EQ anytime...

JRiver are just being honest/accurate here. It is not possible to apply eq to DSD so if they did so it would have to be converted to pcm first, so it wouldn't strictly be DSD any more, though it is extremely likely that anything sold as DSD will have had some manipulation at the mastering stage in PCM then converted back to DSD to sell.

I also don't see any reason to believe there is any real practical difference between DSD and PCM, other than convincing marketing in order re-sell the same albums again. IMHO.

RE: Firmware 8.0 - runlonger - 23-May-2015

(23-May-2015, 20:26)Triggrhappy01 Wrote: I took some REW measurements of 7.1.1, 7.1.3b and 8.0.0.  With SAM defeated, and ICM defeated in 8.0.0, there is no significant difference between the three.  Any variation can be attributed to measurement error.

However, in 8.0.0, ICM (Intelligent Cinema Mode) is defaulted to ON and you are most likely hearing its effects as shown below when you load 8.0.0 and a config file created under the "new" Configurator.

As far as I can tell, there is no way to defeat ICM from the configurator - meaning the only way to turn it off is to map the "ICM on/off" function to a remote button and then manually defeat it.  It seems to be a smooth, subtle downward tilt toward the high frequencies, approx. 1dB down at 1 KHz, 2dB down at 10 KHz, and 3dB down at 20 KHz according to the graphs.  The hinge point appears to be around 100-150 Hz.  Note that ICM seems to adjusted dynamically depending on volume, and this represents only a single volume setting.

(Expert 200 was at level of -18 for all measurements.  KEF LS50s are on loan and it's unknown if they are fully broken in.  UMIK and latest REW version for OS X.  Except for the "ICM on/off" remote control mapping, the same config file was used for all FW versions - downloaded 5/17 using the new Configurator.  The overall measurement level is low but all measurements were made under the same conditions.  FW version measurements taken approx. 30min apart.  DPM was on during all 8.0.0 measurements.  Room is 12x20 and reflective.  Speakers are along the long wall, microphone approx. 8ft from each speaker.)

Congratulation TriggerHappy. I like your scientific approach. I also thought subjectively that changes are very small, almost impossible to hear between the firmware. At least with SAM disabled.

For ICM I also heard a reduction of volume while playing music (see post nr. 273), but no reduction while playing conversation. Are you able to measure this effect? So its clearly not a boost for voices, as others described. In reality it is a reduction for the spectrum above, as you have shown.  

Since you are a measuring guy, maybe you can also measure the power draw at the socket?

Nobody replied to my earlier post (nr. 273), but I have not measured any difference in power draw if DPM was enabled or disabled which seems strange.

DYNAMIC POWER MANAGEMENT:

Dpm on:
Normal music: 26W / silent turned up to maximum volume: 49W / Standby:  12W / Off: 4W
Dpm off:
Normal music: 26W / silent turned up to maximum volume: 49W / Standby:  12W / Off: 4W

Maybe I have to remeasure because back then I did not do a clean boot without a SD-Card between the measurements.

Thanks!

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Antoine - 23-May-2015

(23-May-2015, 20:26)Triggrhappy01 Wrote: I took some REW measurements of 7.1.1, 7.1.3b and 8.0.0.  With SAM defeated, and ICM defeated in 8.0.0, there is no significant difference between the three.  Any variation can be attributed to measurement error.

As far as I can tell, there is no way to defeat ICM from the configurator - meaning the only way to turn it off is to map the "ICM on/off" function to a remote button and then manually defeat it.  It seems to be a smooth, subtle downward tilt toward the high frequencies, approx. 1dB down at 1 KHz, 2dB down at 10 KHz, and 3dB down at 20 KHz according to the graphs.  The hinge point appears to be around 100-150 Hz.  Note that ICM seems to adjusted dynamically depending on volume, and this represents only a single volume setting.

(Expert 200 was at level of -18 for all measurements.  KEF LS50s are on loan and it's unknown if they are fully broken in.  UMIK and latest REW version for OS X.  Except for the "ICM on/off" remote control mapping, the same config file was used for all FW versions - downloaded 5/17 using the new Configurator.  The overall measurement level is low but all measurements were made under the same conditions.  FW version measurements taken approx. 30min apart.  DPM was on during all 8.0.0 measurements.  Room is 12x20 and reflective.  Speakers are along the long wall, microphone approx. 8ft from each speaker.)

Wow, this is brilliant, thank you!!!

If I understand you correctly ICM is always on with FW 8.0 unless you manually defeat it. If correct then Devialet has screwed up big time...again...  Sad

Indeed there's no way to disable it in the configurator, nor is the setting currently stored in the config file. It's like the 'polarity invert' setting which also can't be found there but is only a running parameter with a certain default. So we're indeed forced to assign a button for it to disable it manually.

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Antoine - 23-May-2015

(23-May-2015, 21:19)runlonger Wrote: Congratulation TriggerHappy. I like your scientific approach. I also thought subjectively that changes are very small, almost impossible to hear between the firmware. At least with SAM disabled.

Small changes? Up to a 3dB reduction is not small!

Did you get the point he made? This sentence is key: "However, in 8.0.0, ICM (Intelligent Cinema Mode) is defaulted to ON and you are most likely hearing its effects as shown below when you load 8.0.0 and a config file created under the "new" Configurator."