Devialet Chat
Firmware 8.0 - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet News (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-News)
+--- Thread: Firmware 8.0 (/Thread-Firmware-8-0)

Firmware 8.0 - philoouu - 24-May-2015

(24-May-2015, 15:26)Antoine Wrote: Earlier today I've tried to reproduce Triggrhappy01's findings regarding ICM but I couldn't reproduce it. HOWEVER, my REW measuring setup is using an external USB sound card connected to a set of analog inputs of the Devialet that are in 'bypass' mode (0 dB) so it could as well be that ICM is not working for inputs in bypass mode as I also could not measure a difference with ICM on vs. off using the remote. I've used earlier configs created from scratch for 8.0 but did configure DPM to be off.

I didn't put a lot of time into it as it's such nice weather here that I wanted to enjoy. Perhaps I'll repeat the REW measurements later using a different configuration, ie. connect the M-Audio Fast Track USB MKII soundcard to the same analog inputs but then configured NOT to be in bypass mode.

Also I didn't get to measuring power usage. To be continued! Smile

PS: just started listening to some music (USB input like usual) and with the Devialet remote still configured to enable/disable ICM the difference is very, VERY clear with ICM on vs. off. ICM on dulls the music, removes life and air/ambiance An attenuation of frequencies >1kHz like triggrhappys measurements show could easily be/probably is the explanation of this phenomenon.

Antoine
Once you remove the ICM on/off from the remote, is the ICM on, off or does it keep the last setting you had when you could access to ICM with the remote ?
Thanks
Philoouu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Firmware 8.0 - thumb5 - 24-May-2015

(24-May-2015, 16:26)runlonger Wrote:
(24-May-2015, 16:15)thumb5 Wrote:
(24-May-2015, 13:58)runlonger Wrote: Devialet says this in the configurator:
“Dynamic Power Management : Allows the switched-mode power supply of your Expert system to continuously adapt to the musical content, for greater energy efficiency.”

On my Devialet 120 power consumption is absolutely identical regardless of the DPM Setting in the Configurator and Devialet’s claim of adaption to the musical content cannot be measured at all.

I don't see any conflict between those two statements.  The conclusion that the power drawn from the mains should vary with the musical program does not necessarily follow from the description of DPM, does it?

Hmmm, I can't follow your logic. Please tell me how it is then contributing to "greater energy efficiency" if its drawing the same power from the mains?

Sorry, you're right, of course - provided you measure the power draw for a long enough period.

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Vivialet - 24-May-2015

But with DPM my Devialet 800 is 3-5° cooler than without. If it draws the same energy what happens with the energy that heats up the amp if DPM is on ??

RE: Firmware 8.0 - runlonger - 24-May-2015

(24-May-2015, 16:37)thumb5 Wrote:
(24-May-2015, 16:26)runlonger Wrote:
“Dynamic Power Management : Allows the switched-mode power supply of your Expert system to continuously adapt to the musical content, for greater energy efficiency.”

On my Devialet 120 power consumption is absolutely identical regardless of the DPM Setting in the Configurator and Devialet’s claim of adaption to the musical content cannot be measured at all.

I don't see any conflict between those two statements.  The conclusion that the power drawn from the mains should vary with the musical program does not necessarily follow from the description of DPM, does it?

Hmmm, I can't follow your logic. Please tell me how it is then contributing to "greater energy efficiency" if its drawing the same power from the mains?

Sorry, you're right, of course - provided you measure the power draw for a long enough period.

I measured the total sum of energy consumed over the length of an album and it was the same. But an easier test is a bonus track with a silent pause in the middle. You should be able to see an effect quite soon, even if your power meter would be too slow to register fast switches.

My guess is that some parts of energy savings are always active in 8.0 regardless of the DPM settings. But then the other promised part with content adaption is not yet active, because they were in a hurry and could not finish it before Munich.

I think the user is being fooled of having an option in the configurator (at least Devialet 120 owners).

RE: Firmware 8.0 - thumb5 - 24-May-2015

(24-May-2015, 17:11)runlonger Wrote: My guess is that some parts of energy savings are always active in 8.0 regardless of the DPM settings. But then the other promised part with content adaption is not yet active, because they were in a hurry and could not finish it before Munich.

It will be interesting to see whether what you've reported is true of models other than the 120.  If I remember correctly the 120 has a different power supply spec to the 200 (for example) so maybe the DPM implementation varies between models...?

(24-May-2015, 17:08)Vivialet Wrote: But with DPM my Devialet 800 is 3-5° cooler than without. If it draws the same energy what happens with the energy that heats up the amp if DPM is on ??

Your absolutely right. A cooler running system would be a clear indication that it is working in your system unless the heat is spread differently affecting the sensors less. Or if the sensors measure with an offset.

RE: Firmware 8.0 - moreno1973 - 24-May-2015

(24-May-2015, 17:08)Vivialet Wrote: But with DPM my Devialet 800 is 3-5° cooler than without. If it draws the same energy what happens with the energy that heats up the amp if DPM is on ??

Mine 200 with DPM ON is also about 5° cooler than with DPM OFF. With 8.0 and DPM OFF is now cooler than any time before...

AMP A 40-41° at -20dB (SAM On, DPM On)
AMP A 45-46° at -20dB (SAM On, DPM off)

RE: Firmware 8.0 - iamwappie - 24-May-2015

If you use the Devialet in pass thru mode the temperature difference is huge. Reduces from 59C to 41C (D120)

(24-May-2015, 18:27)iamwappie Wrote:

If you use the Devialet in pass thru mode the temperature difference is huge. Reduces from 59C to 41C (D120)

Great, this means it must have an effect for D120 as well. All temperature readings off my Devialet are between 36 and 38° while consuming 26W, so I'm probably on the extreme towards low temps. This could mean that my Devialet already runs on the "lowest power state". But to be honest, I don't completely trust these readings, subjectively it feels warmer, but currently I have no way to measure it.

If we only knew more what DPM actually does and under which circumstances it kicks in?

RE: Firmware 8.0 - hk6230 - 25-May-2015

Seeing the current discussion on DPM, it seems that everyone expect a lower temperature means better performance. To what I gathered (or understand), isn't it a warmer amp produces better sound? Or is it that, temperature should be around 40 deg to be the ideal amp temperature?