Devialet Chat
Firmware 8.0 - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet News (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-News)
+--- Thread: Firmware 8.0 (/Thread-Firmware-8-0)

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Vivialet - 29-May-2015

put SAM on/off on the middle button. Then a short press toggles the SAM status and a long press brings you in the tone menu where you can also modify the SAM %. ICM must be configured on the right button. Here a long press will always bring up the status screens.

Firmware 8.0 - ledesc - 29-May-2015

Thanks ! I missed the long press......

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Akk_fin - 29-May-2015

(29-May-2015, 12:04)samurai7595 Wrote:
(29-May-2015, 04:02)Akk_fin Wrote: You are sure that Wi-Fi is stand-by position when phono selected ?

What do you mean by "WI-FI is stand-by position" and how do I configure/check that?

http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=285

RE: Firmware 8.0 - samurai7595 - 30-May-2015

(29-May-2015, 19:53)Akk_fin Wrote:
(29-May-2015, 12:04)samurai7595 Wrote:
(29-May-2015, 04:02)Akk_fin Wrote: You are sure that Wi-Fi is stand-by position when phono selected ?

What do you mean by "WI-FI is stand-by position" and how do I configure/check that?

http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=285

Nice, thanks!

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Confused - 30-May-2015

I guess I'm a little late to the party, but today was the first time since the release of the new firmware that I have had enough time to try the beta firmware and 8.0. An interesting day!

The good news is that as someone who has had much trouble with the Configurator since going dual mono, this aspect was trouble free. One point to note, I also noticed that two files are deleted from the SD card when loading new firmware. Now I know some folk have suggested locking the SD card, however, I note that the Devialet instructions specifically state that the SD card should not be locked. Being cautious, I reloaded all the files onto the SD card after loading on the master and prior to loading on the slave.

Anyway, I think I have joined the ranks of those who like the 7.1.3 beta firmware. To me I thought it sounded very accurate and detailed, guitar string sounds and similar sounded more detailed and realistic than I can ever recall, bass drum sounds and similar sounded more realistic. This was only after a relatively short listen to a few tracks, so perhaps more time is needed to form the full picture, but initial impressions are positive. One slight caveat, there was one track where I thought the vocals were a little too prominent and maybe a little difficult to listen to, but this may have been track specific. Overall I thought this was as good as I can recall the my system sounding, I shall certainly run 7.1.3 beta for a few weeks, when differences are fairly subtle I think final opinions take time to form.

Then on to 8.0. Now I would have left things in 7.1.3 beta mode for a while, however, I was keen to do a quick comparison to 8.0, and also to try the new RAM settings for vinyl playback.

New configurations loaded without issue, after a quick listen I felt that I did prefer 8.0 to 7.1.1, but I have a feeling that the 7.1.3 beta remains the best. Referring back to the vocal issue I had with 7.1.3 beta, this was less of an issue with 8.0 for me, but overall 7.1.3 gets the crown. Maybe a case of 7.1.3 is the detail king, so not so forgiving with lesser recordings? I'm not sure yet but form today's quick listen I'm prepared to give 7.1.3 more listening time.

This of course gives me a dilemma, if I do want to run 7.1.3 permanently, I will need to sacrifice the option to use RAM. So I figured I'd run 8.0 for a while to see if RAM is something I would actually use or if it's just a gimmick.

Then I hit the big problem of the day, with 8.0 and running AIR Ethernet, I noticed a strange low frequency rumbling when music was paused, this was quite a disturbing sound, something that is not right and I certainly could not put up with. The sound was at very low frequency, not much above sub bass. Please note that this sound was audible with the volume control untouched, not the bass clicking sound some have reported previously with SAM when adjusting the volume. This rumbling was only apparent with SAM enabled, very strange and certainly something I had never experience with SAM and 7.1.1. I will report this to Devilaet and run with 7.1.3 for a while. So playing with RAM will have to wait!

RE: Firmware 8.0 - pthierry - 30-May-2015

I own a Devialet since last week-end and I immediately upgraded to 8.0 without listening to the installed F/W. As soon as I started using SAM for my speakers (BW 683 S2) I realised there was something terribly wrong when playing bass-heavy tracks even at low volumes (-25dB): as soon as the bass notes would kick in, the overall volume started decreasing ! Sounded like an automatic gain control, or a protection mechanism to limit the amount of bass. I couldn't believe it... With all the good things I've read (and the nice demos I've heard) this couldn't be possible ! Then I realised I should try with an older firmware, wo I went back to 7.1.3 and now, wow, the bass are definitely there ! I reported the problem to Devialet, who confirmed it's a problem with the new firmware... I suppose it only affects my speaker model :-(

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Christophe - 30-May-2015

Copy/Paste of my former note published in the "firmware 8.0" related poll
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I consider that V8 comes with many regressions compared to V7.1.1 (or 7.1.2).

- Trebble is too brilliant with a kind of unpleasant echo in some circumstances.
- Notes are less cut out  and less intent => lack of attacks, lack of articulation and structure
- Timbres/tone too colored and do not sound natural, especially on acoustic instruments and voices (piano, wind instruments)
- Bass has less authority : bass notes are less sharp, less dry, less taut, less distinct, less dynamic, weak and feeble
- Medium is put forward and too present. Very soft and consensual but to the detriment of the richness of the music (details) and takes the precedence over the other ranges.
- All these elements have significant implications on the balance of the ranges as well as the general coherence.

There certainly was a bit of harshness to be fixed in 7.1 but not at this cost. I stay in V7.1 (.1 or .2) until Devialet assesses and fixes these regressive choices.

My few cents!  

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Confused - 31-May-2015

I had another go with 8.0 this morning, prior to switching back to 7.1.3 for the reasons in my earlier post. From start up 8.0 appeared to work ok, with the mysterious "bass rumble" I was getting yesterday gone. However, this did not last. At first I noticed a strange bass rumble echo if a track was paused, lasting a second or so. Then later the rumble returned. So it looks like the 8.0 issues I'm having appear intermittent. Plus the issues maybe speaker dependant, as the problems only manifest themselves with SAM enabled. Not all bad news though, I did try RAM prior to switching back to 7.1.3, and initial impressions are that RAM is a remarkably good feature, with the potential to give a substantial lift in sound quality, especially for someone like myself, with an extensive collection of records of many qualities and vintages. Roll on 8.1 with the bugs fixed!

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Vincent - 31-May-2015

Experienced similar issues as Confused with V8.0 - Ran with it for a few days, but got the low "bass rumble" when nothing playing, and the bass was muddy and somewhat undefined when listening to music.  So, gave 7.1.3 a try - amazing difference, and probably the best my D200 has sounded in the six months I've had it.  Inspired, I had a longish (3 hours or so) session of listening at a fair volume (up to -10.0 or so through B&W CM10 S2's)

This was unfortunately disturbed by a slight electrical burning smell - the amp was running the hottest I've known it (high 50's)  Now, Devialet say they're happy with running temperatures into the 60's, but coupled with the smell I wasn't!  I shut everything down, and am currently monitoring temperatures in advance of providing more detailed info to Devialet should I need to.  Also pulling the power at night, not happy with the heat, even on standby.  Anyone else having temperature issues with 7.1.3?  I'll also pose the question on the 7.1.3 thread.

Temperature aside I'm really happy with 7.1.3 - hopefully once they fix the 8.0 rumbles it will be a similar experience minus the heat!

(31-May-2015, 12:21)Confused Wrote: I had another go with 8.0 this morning, prior to switching back to 7.1.3 for the reasons in my earlier post.  From start up 8.0 appeared to work ok, with the mysterious "bass rumble" I was getting yesterday gone.  However, this did not last.  At first I noticed a strange bass rumble echo if a track was paused, lasting a second or so.  Then later the rumble returned.  So it looks like the 8.0 issues I'm having appear intermittent.  Plus the issues maybe speaker dependant, as the problems only manifest themselves with SAM enabled.  Not all bad news though, I did try RAM prior to switching back to 7.1.3, and initial impressions are that RAM is a remarkably good feature, with the potential to give a substantial lift in sound quality,  especially for someone like myself, with an extensive collection of records of many qualities and vintages.  Roll on 8.1 with the bugs fixed!

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Vivialet - 31-May-2015

if you have problems with the temperature because you either always hear very loud or you have very inefficient speakers so that you always need to go to -10 or even higher try this: in the speaker configuration there is a slider to set the relative level. Increase the level to +10 and instead of -10db you can now listen with -20 db. As the volume increase happens in the digital domain the temperatures should be significiant lower.