Devialet Chat
Firmware 8.0 - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet News (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-News)
+--- Thread: Firmware 8.0 (/Thread-Firmware-8-0)

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Rufus McDufus - 31-May-2015

(31-May-2015, 19:35)Vivialet Wrote: if you have problems with the temperature because you either always hear very loud or you have very inefficient speakers so that you always need to go to -10 or even higher try this: in the speaker configuration there is a slider to set the relative level. Increase the level to +10 and instead of -10db you can now listen with -20 db. As the volume increase happens in the digital domain the temperatures should be significiant lower.

I've often wondered what the effect of setting the relative levels of both speakers to something other than zero... I might give this a try!

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Vincent - 31-May-2015

Thanks Vivialet, that's useful information. I think I'll wait for the next release of 8 and see what that brings to temperature stability, and then potentially try the tweak you recommend if I'm still running hot!
(31-May-2015, 19:35)Vivialet Wrote: if you have problems with the temperature because you either always hear very loud or you have very inefficient speakers so that you always need to go to -10 or even higher try this: in the speaker configuration there is a slider to set the relative level. Increase the level to +10 and instead of -10db you can now listen with -20 db. As the volume increase happens in the digital domain the temperatures should be significiant lower.

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Mohmm - 31-May-2015

(31-May-2015, 12:21)Confused Wrote: I had another go with 8.0 this morning, prior to switching back to 7.1.3 for the reasons in my earlier post.  From start up 8.0 appeared to work ok, with the mysterious "bass rumble" I was getting yesterday gone.  However, this did not last.  At first I noticed a strange bass rumble echo if a track was paused, lasting a second or so.  Then later the rumble returned.  So it looks like the 8.0 issues I'm having appear intermittent.  Plus the issues maybe speaker dependant, as the problems only manifest themselves with SAM enabled.  Not all bad news though, I did try RAM prior to switching back to 7.1.3, and initial impressions are that RAM is a remarkably good feature, with the potential to give a substantial lift in sound quality,  especially for someone like myself, with an extensive collection of records of many qualities and vintages.  Roll on 8.1 with the bugs fixed!

I had a surprising bass problem today where the right channel was much louder than the left and bass was exaggerated (the same setting worked fine yesterday before I put it in deep sleep). This occurred only with AIR-ethernet, not with line in or AES/EBU. Checking my settings I saw that "subsonic" was activated. I de-activated it and had normal operation immediately.

Firmware 8.0 - NickB - 31-May-2015

I just had exactly the same thing but only on AIR on other inputs it was fine

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Rufus McDufus - 31-May-2015

(31-May-2015, 19:45)Rufus McDufus Wrote:

I've often wondered what the effect of setting the relative levels of both speakers to something other than zero... I might give this a try!

Just given this a go. Set both speaker relative levels to +15 (well, you've got to set it to the max to figure what it does!).  Nice low dB level for the volume setting but music is distorted at normal listening volumes.  Clipping somewhere perhaps?
OK then, let's go the other way - set relative levels to -15.  Volume needs setting much higher as expected, but hmm, it's sounding rather good. I might play this for a while and see what the temperature is doing. I'm worried I'll confused its little brain and fry something - possibly messing with the temperature regulation algorithms? This may be driving the power amp a little harder which might improve lower volume performace?

[edit] as expected temperatures climbed rather high with relative level set to -15.

You may note, Vivialet, that I didn't try a relative level of +10dB exactly as you said as I'm incapable of following instructions to the letter! I guess there's less distortion at +10, or it's below some sort of digital clipping level?

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Antoine - 31-May-2015

(31-May-2015, 21:23)NickB Wrote: I just had exactly the same thing but only on AIR on other inputs it was fine

Karma is a biatch! Big Grin

RE: Firmware 8.0 - NickB - 31-May-2015

Antoine
(31-May-2015, 21:23)NickB Wrote: I just had exactly the same thing but only on AIR on other inputs it was fine

Karma is a biatch! Big Grin

Cool isn't it Wink

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Triggrhappy01 - 01-Jun-2015

(23-May-2015, 20:26)Triggrhappy01 Wrote: I took some REW measurements of 7.1.1, 7.1.3b and 8.0.0.  With SAM defeated, and ICM defeated in 8.0.0, there is no significant difference between the three.  Any variation can be attributed to measurement error.

[Image: LS50%20FW%20versions_1.jpg~original]

However, in 8.0.0, ICM (Intelligent Cinema Mode) is defaulted to ON and you are most likely hearing its effects as shown below when you load 8.0.0 and a config file created under the "new" Configurator.
(23-May-2015, 20:26)Triggrhappy01 Wrote: [Image: ICM%20on%20vs%20off.jpg~original]

As far as I can tell, there is no way to defeat ICM from the configurator - meaning the only way to turn it off is to map the "ICM on/off" function to a remote button and then manually defeat it.  It seems to be a smooth, subtle downward tilt toward the high frequencies, approx. 1dB down at 1 KHz, 2dB down at 10 KHz, and 3dB down at 20 KHz according to the graphs.  The hinge point appears to be around 100-150 Hz.  Note that ICM seems to adjusted dynamically depending on volume, and this represents only a single volume setting.

I was wrong about ICM being on by default, and apologize for misstating as such in my original post.  Additional measurements confirm that ICM is defaulted to OFF until you turn it on.  And, it turns out that - contrary to my statement - the only way to turn it ON is to assign the ICM on/off function to the remote and manually activate it.  You won't hear ICM unless you really mean to.  It was an error on my part that led to my claim to the contrary.

You know how SAM is always default=on whenever you load an enabled config file (even if it was off before loading the new config)?  The fault in my logic was assuming that ICM worked in this same way.  Unlike SAM, ICM remembers its last state no matter how many new config files you load.  I had left ICM on during the course of my original measurements.  Therefore, I saw ICM's tilted-down effect every time I loaded a different config file, and believed that ICM was defaulted to on whenever you loaded a config.  I was wrong, sorry.

RE: Firmware 8.0 - Triggrhappy01 - 01-Jun-2015

Since I was experimenting, I took some new measurements with ICM on and off, and at different volume levels.  I think ICM's processing is too complex to be revealed by simple frequency sweeps.

[Image: R300%20ICM%202.jpg~original]

Note, the -6dB measurement was clipping pretty bad according to REW.  ICM's audible effect on real-world content/movie soundtracks seems greater than the graph suggests.  Dialog does seem noticeably enhanced with ICM on and under certain conditions, but nothing in the graph seems to suggest how.  I'm not sure how this could be visually represented.

RE: Firmware 8.0 - petrik - 01-Jun-2015

(31-May-2015, 15:06)Vincent Wrote: This was unfortunately disturbed by a slight electrical burning smell - the amp was running the hottest I've known it (high 50's)  Now, Devialet say they're happy with running temperatures into the 60's, but coupled with the smell I wasn't!  I shut everything down, and am currently monitoring temperatures in advance of providing more detailed info to Devialet should I need to.  Also pulling the power at night, not happy with the heat, even on standby.  Anyone else having temperature issues with 7.1.3?  I'll also pose the question on the 7.1.3 thread.

I noticed exactly the same thing with my D400 & FW 8.0 on weekend. The master unit is totally fine but the "electrical burning smell" is coming from the companion unit although the temperatures are not even high (typically between 40-45 Celsius). The smell is quite bad actually Sad