Devialet Chat
What album are you listening tonight? - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Your Music (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Your-Music)
+--- Thread: What album are you listening tonight? (/Thread-What-album-are-you-listening-tonight)

What album are you listening tonight? - LBameule - 18-Mar-2016

Annie Lennox - Nostalgia
Flac 44/24

Great for night listening...

L

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MBPro 2008 > Dev 120 > KEF LS50. Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina.

RE: What album are you listening tonight? - GuillaumeB - 18-Mar-2016

I must admit I find myself listening to Qobuz more and more these days. 

Discovered this almost quite randomly:

It's a "face off" between Quentin and Guillemain, both composers from 18th century France. I'm not hugely familiar with baroque music but this sounds utterly spellbinding. So much so that I purchased the 24bit version from Qobuz!

Guillaume

RE: What album are you listening tonight? - Bruno - 18-Mar-2016

Anne Gastinel, Cello Suites, JS Bach : at night, wih a distiller edition whisky by your side. I cannot remember any daily annoyance outlasting Bach.

Steve Lukather, Transition : big production here and authenticity through musical mastery.

Jim Hall and Ron Carter, Live at Village West : any comment might appear superfluous.

Never been so impressed before owning a D200.

Bruno

RE: What album are you listening tonight? - Axel - 19-Mar-2016

I'm at the en of a marathon listening session upon which I embarked when I returned (not too worse for wear) from the pub at 21.00.  To round off the evening I revisited John Martyn's seminal album, One World on CD (deluxe edition).

For those that know John and his work, you can skip this bit.

This lifted directly from the liner notes:

" For the new album sessions, Chris Blackwell was keen to assemble a a crack studio team around Martyn, and decided to record it at his country house, Woolwich Green Farm in Theale in Berkshire.  The location was to prove magical, it being an old farm house that ended up in the middle of a flooded gravel pit, crossed by a small driveway surrounded by water..... 'The possibility of the place' meant that an intricate system was set up with a live feed across the lake, where the sessions could be recorded in the open air, picking up the full ambience of the surroundings .
 "We were all firmly out of it" Martyn recalls. " I don't know who came up with it - I remember thinking, this is F**king wonderful, recording from a speaker a half a mile away across a load of water.  It was just a cool thing to do.  That was ambience.  They talk about ambient music now - that was real ambience"
 "It was recorded at 3 a.m. in the morning on the lake", Chris Blackwell said in the BBC documentary Johnny Too Bad. " The main railway line from London to Bristol goes across the land and there were all these geese on the lake, which you can hear at night. John played these slow chords which just hung there for ages"

To hear the sound of these geese and the water lapping and , well, atmosphere throughout the recording, punctuated by Martyn's whispered vocals and waves of Ecoplexed electric is mesmerising.  Steve Winwood's discreet Moog, Morris Pert's (from Brand X) simple percussion and Tristan Fry's in fussy vibes, all underscored by the gentle purr of the rhythm box, gives the record a remarkable lambent quality" "

At one stage, on the title track, you can hear a car making its way down the lane, and a train on the previously mentioned railway as well as the sound of gently lapping water and the quiet squawks of the geese. This is such a unique, groundbreaking recording, coupled with superb musicianship. It was the first time, last evening that I heard this album through my D400s. I've heard it countless times before, but through Le ads there was so much see through  clarity and,with a  glass or two of wine, some dark chocolate and a Morrocan Woodbine or three, the beautiful music washed over me.
 On the track Certain Surprise, there is a trombone solo by the late great Rico and upright bass by JM's long time drinking, fighting and playing partner Danny Thompson that left me feeling as if I was levitating above the sofa. 

If you've never heard this album, It's a great way to end an early hours music session when the lights are low, the mains are clean, no background noise and everything's good.  Tongue

Goodnight Devialet buddies all. 

Alex.

What album are you listening tonight? - ledesc - 19-Mar-2016

(18-Mar-2016, 12:57)GuillaumeB Wrote: I must admit I find myself listening to Qobuz more and more these days. 

Discovered this almost quite randomly:

It's a "face off" between Quentin and Guillemain, both composers from 18th century France. I'm not hugely familiar with baroque music but this sounds utterly spellbinding. So much so that I purchased the 24bit version from Qobuz!

Guillaume

+1
LOL, indeed, same random surprise....
Also I must admit Qobuz SQ with AIR is astonishing ! Nothing better for discovering sessions

RE: What album are you listening tonight? - Confused - 19-Mar-2016

Sisters of Mercy - A Slight Case of Overbombing

I'd forgotten all about the Sisters of Mercy until I stumbled over this today. Cheesy gothic nonsense? Maybe, but I thoroughly enjoyed a blast of "Temple of Love", cheered me up no end!

What album are you listening tonight? - LBameule - 19-Mar-2016

Soundtrack for Begin Again - CD rip

Adam Levine and (check this out) Keira Knightley sing most of the songs. Actually quite good, a bit more "grown-up pop" lyric-wise, some very nice songs.

Cheers,

L

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MBPro 2008 > Dev 120 > KEF LS50. Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina.

RE: What album are you listening tonight? - thumb5 - 20-Mar-2016

Schönberg and Sibelius violin concertos, Hilary Hahn (Qobuz)

RE: What album are you listening tonight? - KraaijCheck - 20-Mar-2016

Neil Young - Harvest
Vinyl

RE: What album are you listening tonight? - thumb5 - 20-Mar-2016

Submotion Orchestra "Colour Theory" (Qobuz)

[Image: 409436.jpg]

A Qobuz recommendation. It reminds me of London Grammar's "If You Wait".