Devialet Chat
What album are you listening tonight? - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Your Music (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Your-Music)
+--- Thread: What album are you listening tonight? (/Thread-What-album-are-you-listening-tonight)

RE: What album are you listening tonight? - Bruno - 20-Jan-2017

(20-Jan-2017, 04:07)Axel Wrote:
(19-Jan-2017, 21:51)Bruno Wrote: Thanks to the good people posting on this thread, I've been listening tonight to :
- Sorceress by Opeth : and it's a nice f***g "prog boogie" ! It could be interesting though to read some comments by Steven Wilson about the choices he made for the production pf thos album.

- Morph The Cat by Donald Fagen which had been going unnoticed to me until it was mentioned here : the follow-up to The Nightfly I was waiting for.

Finally a personal pick : We Insist, The Freedom Suite by Max Roach (it's definitely not easy listening music) which is to political consciousness what A Love Supreme by Coltrane is to spirituality.

A 12 year old Yamakazi is on the side next to the dev remote...

Actually, the follow-up to The Nightfly is Kamakiriad, another great album from DF.

Indeed but in my opinion Kamakiriad isn't by far as good as the Nightfly or Morph The Cat : that's the reason why I made the shortcut and wrote "follow up". No offense taken btw.

RE: What album are you listening tonight? - Will - 22-Jan-2017

Something for Classical music fans:

Tchaikovsky Symphony No 4 Leningrad Philharmonic Orchestra Mravinsky (DG - recorded 1960)
Tchaikovsky Symphony No 4 Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra Petrenko (Onyx - 2017)

The first one is considered a "classic" performance.  The Petrenko is pretty good too.

Both of these sounding better than ever through my recently upgraded D220 pro (upgraded from a D120 - a huge improvement in SQ - far better than I expected)

RE: What album are you listening tonight? - thumb5 - 25-Jan-2017

Japan "Tin Drum"

[Image: 7101093.jpg]

Still sounds as fresh and special to me as it did 36 (almost unbelievable!) years ago.

RE: What album are you listening tonight? - Damon - 26-Jan-2017

Japan! Oh wow, you kill me.  One of my favorite groups of all time. Tin Drum was the breakthrough Japan album for me; it took me a while to 'get it' but then I was totally hooked. Japan and Mick Karn drove me to spend much money and time on fretless basses, though I think that I fell a bit short of Mr. Karn's remarkable skill and vision.

You've motivated me to pull out an old flimsy vinyl pressing of Quiet Life, pressed into paper-thin plastic in 1979.

It is a bit disconcerting that it is 36 years old.... so unbelievable is the distressingly correct term. For anyone who listens to Tin Drum and wants to explore further, I can recommend:

Dali's Car, The Waking Hour- Mick Karn and Peter Murphy (wonderful cover art by Maxfield Parish)
as well as David Sylvian's solo albums and Mick's solo efforts as well.

RE: What album are you listening tonight? - thumb5 - 26-Jan-2017

Hello Damon - glad you enjoyed a dose of nostalgia!

Japan was one of the bands I was listening to around 1980 that really inspired me to start playing bass, the others being Gang Of Four and Echo And The Bunnymen. I still listen to Japan and Gang Of Four a lot (Bunnymen not so much).

Along with "Quiet Life", "Assemblage" is another great Japan album; I think it's a collection of earlier stuff including some really good singles and covers. The bass lines on "European Son" and "All Tomorrow's Parties" are just lovely.

RE: What album are you listening tonight? - Mohmm - 27-Jan-2017

Marilyn Mazur, Percussion; Aina Kemanis, Voice; Hans Ulrik, Saxophones; Nils Petter Molvaer, Trumpet; Eivind Aarset, Guitar; Elvira Plenar, Piano, Keyboards; Klavs Hovman, Basses; Audun Kleive, Drums

Small Labyrinths

An older (1997) ECM album of Marilyn. Great music and high quality recording. I like her percussive background as a memory of my own percussionist past.

Qobuz download.

RE: What album are you listening tonight? - blair.athol - 27-Jan-2017

9Bach Anian
Welsh alternative folk, great recording of Society of Sound and Real World Records.
The album incorporates Greek and Middle Eastern musical influences.
Let"s me flow away.

RE: What album are you listening tonight? - thumb5 - 28-Jan-2017

Grant Lee Buffalo "Jubilee"

[Image: Jubilee_(Grant_Lee_Buffalo_album).jpg]

Americana/rock.

What album are you listening tonight? - LBameule - 03-Feb-2017

Kings of Convenience – Riot on an Empty Street, and
– Declaration of Dependence

Mostly two guys, their guitars and voices. Beautiful, quiet music, but not necessarily music to get you to sleep at all. Particularly RoaES has a lot more variation and a couple of them can make swing and enjoy. Through Tidal.

The Smiths – Strangeways here we come. One of the first CDs I actually owned, brought for me by my parents after asking a guy at record store in Santiago, Chile, "hey, what's the best of the latest new records?" Great choice by that anonimous benefactor of humanity. I was 13 or 14, like nothing I had heard before that. Still love it as the first day.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: What album are you listening tonight? - Eddye - 03-Feb-2017

[Image: GarbageSTinternational.png]
Garbage 20th anniversary reissue on vinyl at 45rpm.
Alternative Rock