Devialet Chat
Master/slave link - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet Expert 400/800, Original d'Atelier, Expert 210/440/1000 Pro (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Expert-400-800-Original-d-Atelier-Expert-210-440-1000-Pro)
+--- Thread: Master/slave link (/Thread-Master-slave-link)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

RE: Master/slave link - Mikeeo - 20-Nov-2014

News flash!

Just had a talk to Thierry about the linking cable and the RCA--XLR connection between Master and Companion.

There is no setting for the AES/EBU input not even when configured for linking RCA--XLR. The AES/EBU input is strictly 110 ohm at all times.

So I asked Thierry how this could work then!

He says (which I didn't manage to read on the homepage) that when using the RCA--XLR link the linking cable should be 110 ohms and not 75!!! As the system will recognize the impedance of the cable. And this goes for all of us that would like to use the AES/EBU for a streaming input on the Master as well ie use a 110 ohm cable.
Connection is the 'semi-balanced' way as schematically showed on Devs homepage.

I told him about the Audioprana cables and the 75/110 ohm transformation. Thierry said it would not be a problem but less good as their own solution due to adding another transformer in the line of signal.

Strange that they do not mentioning this?

Well, I am ordering some 110 ohm diy cable. Any suggestions for a good one?

Cheers/Mike

RE: Master/slave link - mauidan - 20-Nov-2014

(20-Nov-2014, 15:09)Mikeeo Wrote: Well, I am ordering some 110 ohm diy cable. Any suggestions for a good one?

Cheers/Mike

http://www.partsconnexion.com/wire_interc_connex.html

RE: Master/slave link - IanG-UK - 23-Nov-2014

(20-Nov-2014, 10:44)Confused Wrote:
(20-Nov-2014, 09:21)IanG-UK Wrote:
(20-Nov-2014, 00:13)Confused Wrote: This is because that when using the companion inputs, effectively the companion becomes the master, and the signal goes the other way through the link cable. So coax to XLR would become XLR to coax, which does not work.

I have actually ordered an Audioprana coax to XLR cable, basically I am intrigued enough to part with 260euros to give the coax to XLR link a try. I might get it a bit sooner now your order is on hold!

But Confused, I'm confused (sorry) - how can the signal go the other way? By definition, with this link, all the companion inputs are disabled so all the input signals, including wifi, go to the master and then the link is from the master coax to the companion XLR. The only external connection with the companion is any pre-amp out which one uses (which was the reason I needed the master/companion connected via coax/XLR rather than coax/coax).

Ian -you are not confused! You are correct, the companion inputs cannot be used if the Coax to XLR link is utilised. However, if using the coax to coax link, then companion inputs can be used, the master and companion effectively switch roles and yes, the signal goes the other way.

Ah yes thank you. The master/companion link is, in effect, the distributor and bidirectional if one uses inputs from both master and companion! But not at the same time.

RE: Master/slave link - GuillaumeB - 02-Dec-2014

(20-Nov-2014, 00:13)Confused Wrote:
(19-Nov-2014, 23:59)Mikeeo Wrote: And why, when using the AES/EBU input no other inputs can be used on the Companion?

Best/Mike

This is because that when using the companion inputs, effectively the companion becomes the master, and the signal goes the other way through the link cable. So coax to XLR would become XLR to coax, which does not work.

I have actually ordered an Audioprana coax to XLR cable, basically I am intrigued enough to part with 260euros to give the coax to XLR link a try. I might get it a bit sooner now your order is on hold!

Have you received this yet? Can't wait to hear how it sounds.

Guillaume

RE: Master/slave link - Confused - 02-Dec-2014

(02-Dec-2014, 14:30)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(20-Nov-2014, 00:13)Confused Wrote: I have actually ordered an Audioprana coax to XLR cable, basically I am intrigued enough to part with 260euros to give the coax to XLR link a try. I might get it a bit sooner now your order is on hold!

Guillaume

No, I am still waiting for it to be delivered. I was quoted 2 weeks delivery, and now it’s been about two and a half weeks since I ordered.

I think I'll send them a quick email to see if it's on its way....

A update. I recieved an email from Audioprana, the cable is on it's way, they even provided a tracking number. Something to play with at the weekend!

RE: Master/slave link - Mikeeo - 03-Dec-2014

(02-Dec-2014, 16:29)Confused Wrote:
(02-Dec-2014, 14:30)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(20-Nov-2014, 00:13)Confused Wrote: I have actually ordered an Audioprana coax to XLR cable, basically I am intrigued enough to part with 260euros to give the coax to XLR link a try. I might get it a bit sooner now your order is on hold!

Guillaume

No, I am still waiting for it to be delivered. I was quoted 2 weeks delivery, and now it’s been about two and a half weeks since I ordered.

I think I'll send them a quick email to see if it's on its way....

A update. I recieved an email from Audioprana, the cable is on it's way, they even provided a tracking number. Something to play with at the weekend!

Looking forward to your impressions from this cable. I decided to go the diy way (as many times before) and will put together my usual 75 ohm cable from VHaudio with my regular BNC or RCA i one end then a Neutrik XLR in the other. The XLR will house the Lundahl 75/110 ohm transformer. I guess this set-up is more or less the same as Audiopranas but with another 75/110 solution of course. Technically this should be better than having a 110 ohm cable between the 75 out and 110 ohm in and their plugs, respectively.

Soon I will report back/Mike

RE: Master/slave link - Mikeeo - 09-Dec-2014

Hi All,

My BNC or RCA to XLR constructions have been running for a while and things just got a bit more controlled, perhaps less background and instruments have somewhat better tone and definition.
These observations are for both streaming (BNC-XLR) into the master and the likning between master and companion (RCA-XLR).
Can't really say that 'latency' between the units got better.
I used a 75 ohm coaxial and tested both with as without the Lundahl transformer (75 to 110 ohm conversion). Without just as the configuration as Devialet suggests on the homepage. Can't say that there where any difference really so with that in mind, perhaps Thierry's suggestion using a 110 ohm cable will bring some rewards, still need to test though.
Only negative is that the companion can't be used for addition sources.
Also on my unit, companion wasn't acknowledged by the master, but pulling the trigger cable resolved that, why I do not know. Anyway, with using the AES/EBU on the master enables me to use all my connecting units only on master.

Some pictures from the assembly of the cable(s)

/Mike

RE: Master/slave link - GuillaumeB - 09-Dec-2014

(02-Dec-2014, 16:29)Confused Wrote: A update. I recieved an email from Audioprana, the cable is on it's way, they even provided a tracking number. Something to play with at the weekend!

Did your cable arrive??

Guillaume

RE: Master/slave link - Confused - 09-Dec-2014

Not yet! However, I did arrive home tonight to find a "we tried to deliver a parcel" card for an international delivery. So I think the cable is now about two miles away at the local depot.

I'll get the cable set up as soon as I can to let it bed in. Unfortunately my schedule is pretty much work, work, party, hangover, repeat until December 27th, (all beautifully scheduled such that two of these never occur on the same day) so it will be a while before I can do any serious AB comparisons. Although I'll will report any initial findings as soon as a get a chance. Should be interesting.

RE: Master/slave link - Confused - 14-Dec-2014

I picked up the Audioprana cable yesterday. It connected up nicely, with the wooden connectors fitting beneath the rear cover plates. So far so good. I had some issues with the configurator, which was removing the master slave link red line between saving the master and slave configurator files, very strange. At first I thought this was just an issue with the configurator graphics. The bottom line is that I cannot get this cable to work, and to honest, I am not sure if it is an issue with the cable or the configurator.

As a double check, I reverted back to the SPDIF to SPDIF link cable, and tried the Audioprana between a CD player (SPDIF) and the Devialet (AES/EBU). This does not work either. Strangely, when doing the configurator for the CD AES/EBU input, the configurator kept changing the Slave AES/EBU input description to "CD", so yet another configurator bug, and this is with slave inputs disabled! To be honest, I am not sure if you can link a CD player SPDIF to the Devialet's AES/EBU input, maybe this should not work anyway?

So either the cable is duff, or the configurator is playing up yet again, or possibly both! It's not been a good day!

Please note the snapshot was taken when I was trying to set up the SPDIF to AES/EBU link, hence showing the "missing" red link line.

An update. The Audioprana cable does indeed work between CD player and Devialet AES/EBU input. The problem is the SPDIF end connector is not a particularly good fit, but fiddle around with it a bit, and yes it works.