Devialet Chat
Master/slave link - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet Expert 400/800, Original d'Atelier, Expert 210/440/1000 Pro (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Expert-400-800-Original-d-Atelier-Expert-210-440-1000-Pro)
+--- Thread: Master/slave link (/Thread-Master-slave-link)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

RE: Master/slave link - Mikeeo - 17-Dec-2014

(17-Dec-2014, 22:16)Confused Wrote: Well, a minor party at my house tonight, following on from the Wednesday Christmas meeting at Newbury races tonight (very near to my house). A couple of folk who have heard my system before, and have no idea about the link cable, have advised that the system sounds more analogue and natural, maybe ritcher, for me, I have noticed more depth in the bass, not more bass or boomy, but far more detailed and resolved. Not what I was expecting, which was maybe better imagery, but yes, hard to describe, but much nicer to listen to in that rich analogue way. Plus the detail and mid range is still impressive. In short, yes I like it. Not sure if it's down to the cable or utilising the XLR input, either way positive so far. A busy night tonight, serious observations will follow at the weekend, but perhaps tonight's casual results when not listening to hard and enjoying the music gives observations that actually matter more then when really concentrating and studying. In summery, try the AES/EBU link. I really think its worth a go! I am someone who thinks digital cables cannot possibly make any difference, but i have heard a couple of things recently that are challenging this. Including what I am hearing now and comments from non audiophile friends tonight. Apart from the qualatve bass difference, there seams to be a more analogue subjective difference that I cannot actually put into words. I'm sorry if this sounds a bit waffling, describing what you hear is difficult. Short summary, try an AES/EBU cable if you have dual mono, I'm glad I did! I think I'll report more at the weekend when I have a chance of some serious listening on my own.

When OAC lent me a demo D250 to try dual mono, they gave me a chord Sarum cable for the link, which I thought was ridiculous because of its cost. However, as soon as I started listening I loved it. But I don't actually think my actual purchased D250 / 800 slave has sounded as good as the demo unit, until tonight with the far cheaper Audioprana. Give it a try!

Thanks for the write up Confused!

Perhaps the main word I would like to use for my impressions is that music came out a bit more natural, with more ease (flow?) and slightly blacker background. Remember I did this in 2 steps, first between my unitiserve and then later between units, however the positive effects were more or less the same ie positive.

/Mike

RE: Master/slave link - Confused - 17-Dec-2014

I think we are hearing the same thing, more natural must be much the same as more analogue. Plus that's not just my thoughts, but others having fun at my house tonight are saying similar things, and most of them are in the "I can't tell any difference" category. For me, definitely ritcher, but not in an an altered valve way, it comes with accuracy and definition too. Cutting out the descriptive rubbish, I like it a lot, I mean I realy like it! Which I guess is what realy counts. Especially when those around you agree. A good night and a good result! It's one thing for your system to be analytically superb, but when it becomes enjoyable too, that's a real result. I think what I'm saying is I'm unexpectedly pleased with my new cable, (normally I expect to be ver disappointed with such things) especially when it doesn't even look quite like the one I ordered! I was very clear in my correspondence with Audioprana with respect to what I wanted the cable for, it doesn't look quite like what they show on their website, but it appears to be rather good. If I could speak French a little better I'd call them up to discuss why! Meanwhile I'm going to forget about the technical stuff and enjoy.

RE: Master/slave link - thumb5 - 17-Dec-2014

When you say "I was very clear...what I wanted the cable for", I take it you spelled out that it was for the master/slave link between two Devialets? Maybe that's why it's not exactly the same as anything shown on the web site? Or maybe each cable is slightly different!

It seems churlish to ask, given the not-totally-unreasonable price, but do you know if Audioprana offer any kind of trial (sale or return) for their cables?

RE: Master/slave link - Confused - 18-Dec-2014

Hi Thumb, yes I made it clear that it was for a Devialet master companion link. Interestingly, the SPDIF end is not a very good fit on my CD player, but perfect on the master Devialet. As for sale or return, I have no idea! It was hard enough buying one in the first place!

RE: Master/slave link - thumb5 - 18-Dec-2014

(18-Dec-2014, 00:01)Confused Wrote: It was hard enough buying one in the first place!

Ha ha - thanks for the warning!

RE: Master/slave link - Confused - 18-Dec-2014

Perhaps we should start a cable loan system on this forum? I'd swap my Audioprana for some trick mains cables. (Which I think wouldn't make a blind bit of difference, but yes, I would at least like to give it a try, always open minded!)

RE: Master/slave link - amabrok - 18-Dec-2014

(18-Dec-2014, 00:01)Confused Wrote: Hi Thumb, yes I made it clear that it was for a Devialet master companion link. Interestingly, the SPDIF end is not a very good fit on my CD player, but perfect on the master Devialet. As for sale or return, I have no idea! It was hard enough buying one in the first place!

Hi Confused, please post a tutorial on how to place an order for the Audioprana cable Smile

RE: Master/slave link - smokejumper - 18-Dec-2014

Hi Confused, your findings with the Audioprana are similar to what I found with my Chord Indigo balanced with adapter setup. I also found good improvements with mains filtering and cables, you might give it a try.
Aside from cables, is there any way to share config files that are known to work? They might not fit exact requirements but it would eliminate other faults.

RE: Master/slave link - amabrok - 18-Dec-2014

(18-Dec-2014, 10:45)smokejumper Wrote: Hi Confused, your findings with the Audioprana are similar to what I found with my Chord Indigo balanced with adapter setup. I also found good improvements with mains filtering and cables, you might give it a try.
Aside from cables, is there any way to share config files that are known to work? They might not fit exact requirements but it would eliminate other faults.

we can start a new threat labeled for example Config_Files where members with properly functioning configurations and willing to share can post a brief summary of the config file(s) and other members interested in having a copy can reach out to them via a private message. then it is a matter of a simple email message.

Maybe the thread can be in the "Devialet 400 & 800" sub-forum or maybe in the "Tweeters Corner" sub-forum if we wanna expand this to D120, 200, 250 and D-Premier

RE: Master/slave link - Mohmm - 18-Dec-2014

(17-Dec-2014, 22:16)Confused Wrote: Well, a minor party at my house tonight, following on from the Wednesday Christmas meeting at Newbury races tonight (very near to my house). A couple of folk who have heard my system before, and have no idea about the link cable, have advised that the system sounds more analogue and natural, maybe ritcher, for me, ... In summery, try the AES/EBU link. I really think its worth a go! I am someone who thinks digital cables cannot possibly make any difference, but i have heard a couple of things recently that are challenging this. ... Short summary, try an AES/EBU cable if you have dual mono, I'm glad I did! I think I'll report more at the weekend when I have a chance of some serious listening on my own.

When OAC lent me a demo D250 to try dual mono, they gave me a chord Sarum cable for the link, which I thought was ridiculous because of its cost. However, as soon as I started listening I loved it. But I don't actually think my actual purchased D250 / 800 slave has sounded as good as the demo unit, until tonight with the far cheaper Audioprana. Give it a try!

I second this description. I received my Audioprana RCA - AES/EBU cable for my D800 a week ago and must say the AES input indeed does make a difference. That's not loads of difference, but a noticeable better resolution in listening sessions. Great thing!