Devialet Chat
Master/slave link - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet Expert 400/800, Original d'Atelier, Expert 210/440/1000 Pro (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Expert-400-800-Original-d-Atelier-Expert-210-440-1000-Pro)
+--- Thread: Master/slave link (/Thread-Master-slave-link)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

RE: Master/slave link - Mikeeo - 18-Dec-2014

(15-Dec-2014, 23:02)Confused Wrote: For those interested I thought I would post this picture of the Audioprana cable. The point to note is that it looks slightly different to the one shown on the Audioprana website, the connectors look slightly thinner (which is probably a good thing, because the cable shown here fits neatly with the Devialet's rear cover fitted), plus it has the additional wooden item part way down the cable. I'm not sure if they have changed the design, or if this is supplied "customised" to suit my stated requirements of using this as a Devialet dual mono link cable. It's basic design does look similar to other cables shown on their website though.

Confused,

Is the XLR (I know it is a Neutrik made build parts) gold plated or silver plated? In the old diy days of cable making I found that the silver plated version was better than the gold plated. However this was for analogue applications and not digital, perhaps it doesn't matter for digital?
Anyway I use the silver plated XLR Neutriks for my digital applications.

/Mike

RE: Master/slave link - amabrok - 19-Dec-2014

Ordered this now

[Image: na2mpmm.jpg?v=1]

The Neutrik NA2FPMM 3 pole XLR Male – RCA Plug (http://www.neutrik.com/en/accessories/circular-adapters/na2mpmm)

to use with a Van Den Hul AES-EBU 110 Ohm professional interconnect

[Image: SDC10627.JPG?psid=1]

The XLR interconnect was laying around doing nothing, so i thought to order the Neutrik adapter and try the RCA-XLR Master/Slave link.

will report back once it arrives

RE: Master/slave link - thumb5 - 19-Dec-2014

That's an interesting idea - I also have a Madrigal CZ-Gel XLR-XLR knocking around somewhere so will be interested to see how you get on with the adapter.

RE: Master/slave link - smokejumper - 19-Dec-2014

It worked well for me, all this is worth a try at minimal extra cost.
The adapter fits very close to the phono plug on my digital2 input, since we are fitting an xlr into a space designed for a phono plug
I placed a small piece of paper around my digital2 to make sure they did not contact

RE: Master/slave link - amabrok - 19-Dec-2014

(19-Dec-2014, 13:02)smokejumper Wrote: It worked well for me, all this is worth a try at minimal extra cost.
The adapter fits very close to the phono plug on my digital2 input, since we are fitting an xlr into a space designed for a phono plug
I placed a small piece of paper around my digital2 to make sure they did not contact

thanks for the tip.

my only concern was actually will it fit under the cover plate and could it jam the neighbouring digital input?

now i know it will pass Smile

thanks

Master/slave link - amabrok - 29-Dec-2014

Finally the Neutrik adapter XLR to RCA is here. As planned, will use it with my XLR van den Hul interconnect for my master / slave RCA-XLR link

Will work on a new configuration for my D400 and report back later

[Image: 78ab172a4fb9d394dc2692252a93f1bd.jpg]

RE: Master/slave link - amabrok - 31-Dec-2014

Now the RCA-XLR link is setup (Using van den Hul XLR + Nuetrik XLR-RCA adapter)

Very positive results so far!!!

The sound of the D400/ML Montis is now warmer and less clinical. Martin Logan Montis are very revealing and sometimes could be harsh on the highs which was the case somehow, and i was wondering if it was due to the amp not being able to drive the very low impedance of the Montis at 20+ KHz or was it due to room acoustics or a mix of both. But surprisingly with the RCA-XLR link the harshness is almost gone. I guess with a little bit of room treatment and i will be in a position to describe the sound as 100% tonally balanced and almost perfect if there is such thing as perfect!

Another positive observation is the lag between the master and slave is very very slim now that i almost do not notice it at. it seems to be a faster link allowing the slave unit to respond exactly in the same time if and when an order is given to the master unit.

With my observations here and similar positive findings from many other members regarding the RCA-XLR link, i can't help but wonder why Devialet is not offering this as the default link if they put sound quality as their number one priority?!

RE: Master/slave link - Mikeeo - 31-Dec-2014

(31-Dec-2014, 09:31)amabrok Wrote: Now the RCA-XLR link is setup (Using van den Hul XLR + Nuetrik XLR-RCA adapter)

The sound of the D400/ML Montis is now warmer and less clinical. Martin Logan Montis are very revealing and sometimes could be harsh on the highs which was the case somehow, and i was wondering if it was due to the amp not being able to drive the very low impedance of the Montis at 20+ KHz or was it due to room acoustics or a mix of both. But surprisingly with the RCA-XLR link the harshness is almost gone. I guess with a little bit of room treatment and i will be in a position to describe the sound as 100% tonally balanced and almost perfect if there is such thing as perfect!

Another positive observation is the lag between the master and slave is very very slim now that i almost do not notice it at. it seems to be a faster link allowing the slave unit to respond exactly in the same time if and when an order is given to the master unit.

With my observations here and similar positive findings from many other members regarding the RCA-XLR link, i can't help but wonder why Devialet is not offering this as the default link if they put sound quality as their number one priority?!

Welcome to the AES/EBU camp! I've had the same experience. The difference is not small and I would say that this is mandatory for mono set-up. I also wonder why Dev can't be more informative with this but as they now left us 'expert' users in the dust for some Phantoming I guess it up to us to perform further beta testing and optimizing.

/Mike

RE: Master/slave link - Confused - 31-Dec-2014

(31-Dec-2014, 09:31)amabrok Wrote: Now the RCA-XLR link is setup (Using van den Hul XLR + Nuetrik XLR-RCA adapter)

I think I posted this previously, but it seams relevant to the recent posts. I had sent a number of queries to Devialet on the subject of the dual mono link, eventually I received this response:

"Theoretically, RCA to XLR will provide the optimum solution. Usually, experienced customers notice the difference straight away. On the other hand, some customer notice a difference but it is not so significant for them.
It will depend on the sound quality, but judging by our exchanges, I guess you will notice it directly."

I have been living with my Audioprana SPDIF to AES/EBU cable for a few weeks now. I like it. It seams much more organic and natural, more analogue, if you like. So a much more enjoyable listen, but no downsides, no loss of detail or anything. The bass seams richer as well, but not overblown or anything unpleasant, the full levels of bass detail appear to be in sharper focus than ever.

RE: Master/slave link - f1eng - 31-Dec-2014

Interesting. I used rca to AES with my D-Premiers but didn't even try it with the 800 since I was pleased to use the extra inputs which disappear if not selecting rca to rca.
Since the main SQ difference I have noticed between a pair of D-Premiers and the 800 is that the 800 has less stereo depth than the dual monos I had been intending to go back for a trial but I am concerned about the fact that the configurator seems to no longer work properly for dual mono amps.