Devialet Chat
Master/slave link - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet Expert 400/800, Original d'Atelier, Expert 210/440/1000 Pro (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Expert-400-800-Original-d-Atelier-Expert-210-440-1000-Pro)
+--- Thread: Master/slave link (/Thread-Master-slave-link)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

RE: Master/slave link - amabrok - 31-Dec-2014

(31-Dec-2014, 12:32)f1eng Wrote: Interesting. I used rca to AES with my D-Premiers but didn't even try it with the 800 since I was pleased to use the extra inputs which disappear if not selecting rca to rca.
Since the main SQ difference I have noticed between a pair of D-Premiers and the 800 is that the 800 has less stereo depth than the dual monos I had been intending to go back for a trial but I am concerned about the fact that the configurator seems to no longer work properly for dual mono amps.
You can try a new configuration and always keep a back up of the current configuration files that are functioning properly. If the new configuration messes things up, you can then revert to the backed up files

RE: Master/slave link - Confused - 31-Dec-2014

(31-Dec-2014, 12:32)f1eng Wrote: Interesting. I used rca to AES with my D-Premiers but didn't even try it with the 800 since I was pleased to use the extra inputs which disappear if not selecting rca to rca.
Since the main SQ difference I have noticed between a pair of D-Premiers and the 800 is that the 800 has less stereo depth than the dual monos I had been intending to go back for a trial but I am concerned about the fact that the configurator seems to no longer work properly for dual mono amps.
One point to note, is that peoples experiences with using the AES/EBU input appear to have many similarities irrespective of the cable used. So the benefits appear to be due to the different method of connection itself, rather than subjective cable preferences. Worth a try, I would say. But yes! Keep your current SD cards / configurations, just in case of Configurator gremlins.

RE: Master/slave link - f1eng - 31-Dec-2014

(31-Dec-2014, 12:42)amabrok Wrote:
You can try a new configuration and always keep a back up of the current configuration files that are functioning properly. If the new configuration messes things up, you can then revert to the backed up files

Quite so, that is what I have done before but trying something which may not work is a waste of listening time Smile
I probably won't bother until I know the configurator is mended.

RE: Master/slave link - Mikeeo - 31-Dec-2014

[/quote]
One point to note, is that peoples experiences with using the AES/EBU input appear to have many similarities irrespective of the cable used. So the benefits appear to be due to the different method of connection itself, rather than subjective cable preferences. Worth a try, I would say. But yes! Keep your current SD cards / configurations, just in case of Configurator gremlins.
[/quote]

Yes, this is the point that Thierry made as he always stated that the AES/EBU input is superior with its transformer hence he recommended it irrespectively with 75 or 110 ohm cable etc etc. This made me think that Dev had a proprietary solution but Thierry just said it is a normal transformer driven AES/EBU.

/Mike

RE: Master/slave link - thumb5 - 31-Dec-2014

In for a penny...I'm going to follow in @amabrok's footsteps and try the RCA to AES/EBU approach using a Neutrik adapter with an XLR-XLR cable. Depending on how that goes maybe the Audioprana is the next step?

RE: Master/slave link - IanG-UK - 31-Dec-2014

(31-Dec-2014, 14:35)thumb5 Wrote: In for a penny...I'm going to follow in @amabrok's footsteps and try the RCA to AES/EBU approach using a Neutrik adapter with an XLR-XLR cable. Depending on how that goes maybe the Audioprana is the next step?

I use RCA to AES/EBU and had bought a Neutrik adaptor. But before I tried it I emailed with one of the most respected cable experts in the industry said he said doing this would be a complete waste of time, and possibly disadvantageous; so I've not tried the Neutrik and certainly won't be trying the Audioprana.

If anyone wants the Neutrik and convertor plugs they can have them for the price of P&P, UK only, just PM me.

RE: Master/slave link - Mikeeo - 31-Dec-2014

(31-Dec-2014, 16:26)IanG-UK Wrote:
(31-Dec-2014, 14:35)thumb5 Wrote: In for a penny...I'm going to follow in @amabrok's footsteps and try the RCA to AES/EBU approach using a Neutrik adapter with an XLR-XLR cable. Depending on how that goes maybe the Audioprana is the next step?

I use RCA to AES/EBU and had bought a Neutrik adaptor. But before I tried it I emailed with one of the most respected cable experts in the industry said he said doing this would be a complete waste of time, and possibly disadvantageous; so I've not tried the Neutrik and certainly won't be trying the Audioprana.

If anyone wants the Neutrik and convertor plugs they can have them for the price of P&P, UK only, just PM me.

Ian, even without trying? The only expert is the ears of me, myself and I as long as we don't talk about risk for damaging equipment.

/Mike

RE: Master/slave link - thumb5 - 31-Dec-2014

(31-Dec-2014, 16:26)IanG-UK Wrote: I use RCA to AES/EBU and had bought a Neutrik adaptor. But before I tried it I emailed with one of the most respected cable experts in the industry said he said doing this would be a complete waste of time, and possibly disadvantageous; so I've not tried the Neutrik and certainly won't be trying the Audioprana.

I assume his comment was referring to the idea of an RCA-to-XLR cable, with the implications/confusion over characteristic impedance? Anyway, I guess an adapter like the Neutrik would be doubly frowned-upon.

(31-Dec-2014, 16:26)IanG-UK Wrote: If anyone wants the Neutrik and convertor plugs they can have them for the price of P&P, UK only, just PM me.

Very kind of you to offer, thanks, but I ordered one earlier today.

(31-Dec-2014, 16:57)Mikeeo Wrote: Ian, even without trying? The only expert is the ears of me, myself and I as long as we don't talk about risk for damaging equipment.

Yes, I thought it can't hurt to try it...

RE: Master/slave link - miro - 05-Jan-2015

(18-Dec-2014, 12:59)Mohmm Wrote: I second this description. I received my Audioprana RCA - AES/EBU cable for my D800 a week ago and must say the AES input indeed does make a difference. That's not loads of difference, but a noticeable better resolution in listening sessions. Great thing!

How does one order an Audioprana RCA - AES/EBU cable?

How much does it cost?

Has anyone compared it with a regular AES/EBU cable combined with an RCA-to-AES/EBU adapter (e.g., the Neutrik NA2FPMM 3 pole XLR Male – RCA Plug http://www.neutrik.com/en/accessories/ci...rs/na2mpmm)?

RE: Master/slave link - Confused - 05-Jan-2015

(05-Jan-2015, 04:45)miro Wrote:
(18-Dec-2014, 12:59)Mohmm Wrote: I second this description. I received my Audioprana RCA - AES/EBU cable for my D800 a week ago and must say the AES input indeed does make a difference. That's not loads of difference, but a noticeable better resolution in listening sessions. Great thing!

How does one order an Audioprana RCA - AES/EBU cable?

How much does it cost?

Has anyone compared it with a regular AES/EBU cable combined with an RCA-to-AES/EBU adapter (e.g., the Neutrik NA2FPMM 3 pole XLR Male – RCA Plug http://www.neutrik.com/en/accessories/ci...rs/na2mpmm)?

You can send them an email (In English or French). They provide bank details, and a price including postage and packing etc. You then pay by bank transfer, and after a couple of weeks your cable should arrive. (Mine took almost three weeks, with about one week of that in transit from southern France to the UK)

It's a shame that they do not accept credit card or paypal, because international bank transfers can be fairly expensive relative to the relatively low cost of the items. I guess they must be a very small company.