Devialet Chat
Master/slave link - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet Expert 400/800, Original d'Atelier, Expert 210/440/1000 Pro (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Expert-400-800-Original-d-Atelier-Expert-210-440-1000-Pro)
+--- Thread: Master/slave link (/Thread-Master-slave-link)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

RE: Master/slave link - Mikeeo - 24-Jan-2015

Hi,

Well I am one of the users that changed directly as stock cable was not even close to my own RCA-RCA specially in the coherence between mono units. Then going RCA-XLR further improved all aspects.

/Mike

RE: Master/slave link - Confused - 24-Jan-2015

When I had a dealer demo D250 on home demonstration to try dual mono, this came with a Chord Sarum cable. So I had this for a weekend, then a couple of weeks later had my own Companion, linked up with the "stock" Chrystal. I tied other cables, relatively cheap cables, which I preferred to the Chrystal but I did not think anythingwas as good as I recalled the Sarum linked set up sounding. I am now running an Audioprana cable to the AES/EBU input. Now I would say this is roughly equal to the Sarum via SPDIF, however, and to be clear, this is based on listening experiences about three months apart, so I cannot possibly make definitive observations due to the time scale.

Last time I visited my dealer (the very splendid and helpful Oxford Audio Consultants - highly recommended) we talked about trying a comparison of the Audioprana vs the Sarum and other options, even a wildcard trial of something like a Sarum together with an SPDIF to AES/EBU adaptor. (Sacrilege, possibly!)

For now I am not even going to contemplate such a test, certainly not at home. The main reason being that to trial this properly would require multiple configuration switches, and to be honest, I don't want to go anywhere near the configurator until the bugs are confirmed as fixed.

Master/slave link - amabrok - 24-Jan-2015

(24-Jan-2015, 12:19)Confused Wrote: For now I am not even going to contemplate such a test, certainly not at home. The main reason being that to trial this properly would require multiple configuration switches, and to be honest, I don't want to go anywhere near the configurator until the bugs are confirmed as fixed.

I hear you. The configurator is like a minefield now! It may or may not blow in your face a bite a piece off your legs. But who in his sane mind would willingly step into that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Master/slave link - Confused - 24-Jan-2015

(24-Jan-2015, 12:26)amabrok Wrote:
(24-Jan-2015, 12:19)Confused Wrote: For now I am not even going to contemplate such a test, certainly not at home.  The main reason being that to trial this properly would require multiple configuration switches, and to be honest, I don't want to go anywhere near the configurator until the bugs are confirmed as fixed.

I hear you. The configurator is like a minefield now! It may or may not blow in your face a bite a piece off your legs. But who in his sane mind would willingly step into that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No me, and I'm not even sane.....

RE: Master/slave link - GuillaumeB - 24-Jan-2015

I must say it is most odd that the Crystal cable doesn't work particularly well with the dual monos, it's almost as though there is some weird incompatibility thing going on. Most odd that so many people are finding the same thing, including some dealers I have spoken to. The same cable apparently works well with other gear and it's not as though Crystal make bad cables, quite the opposite! Some of their stuff sounds fantastic, particularly their speaker cables which I've heard on a few occasions. Love the form factor too.

It does beg the question of whether Devialet ever really tested the Crystal SPDIF with their equipment, it seems that a cheaper cable would have worked much better. I mean it's not exactly a great advertisement for Crystal either!

The Chord Sarum TA digital cable is very good, it was this cable that I used in its AES/EBU guise between my MiND 180 and Master before I got the totaldac d1. I did compare the Transparent Ref XL directly to the Sarum TA SPDIF between Master and Companion. I had honestly wanted the Chord Sarum TA cable to win the day but the Transparent one was just leaps better and once I had heard it I just couldn't turn back. 

Guillaume

Hi,

I've put together a few diy cables through the years and I would say that the Furutech RCA's are the weak link in the Crystal cable. However I didn't cut them off and tried something 'better' so I can't confirm my suspicion. By the way there are some really expensive 'snakes' on the market that doesn't sound good at all so spending a lot of money isn't a guarantee to good performance.

To be totally honest I never really reached the same stereo perspective that I had with one 200 even if it is highly marginal now with 'better' cable and RCA-XLR.

/Mike

RE: Master/slave link - mauidan - 24-Jan-2015

If you've replaced the Crystal cable with a different RCA-RCA or RCA-XLR cable, what length cable are you using?

(24-Jan-2015, 18:12)mauidan Wrote: If you've replaced the Crystal cable with a different RCA-RCA or RCA-XLR cable, what length cable are you using?

About 1 meter!

RE: Master/slave link - MusicFirst - 03-Mar-2015

(02-Oct-2014, 13:35)GuillaumeB Wrote: Our friends across the channel have been experimenting with these cables with great results:

http://audioprana.free.fr/coa_num_cot.htm

They also make an S/PDIF>AES hybrid cable which is featured a bit lower down the page.

Prices seem very reasonable, their top of the range S/PDIF cable is 300 euros.

Quoting from jalucine's post on the Forum Audiophile (http://www.forum-audiophile.fr/amplis/devialet-d-premier-120-200-250-400-800-t11107-2595.html)

"En conclusion, ce câble fait faire un progrès significatif au système. La transparence, la résolution, l’image sonore, la qualité des timbres, la musicalité globalement."

Translation: In conclusion this cable had a major impact on the system: greater transparency, better resolution, improved imaging and timbres and overall musicality.

Interestingly this is exactly how I would have described the improvement from my TA XL S/PDIF. Except that my cable cost me over £3k!!!!

Once again if you haven't tried other cables linking your two units you really owe it to yourself to have a play... (obviously I'm not aiming this comment at the cable sceptics on this forum!). In my system is was a very big improvement.

Guillaume
Guillaume

Not being fluent in French can you tell us which configuration they found worked best?  the RCA/RCA or the RCA/AES EBU?

Thanks

Kerry

RE: Master/slave link - GuillaumeB - 03-Mar-2015

(03-Mar-2015, 19:08)MusicFirst Wrote:
(02-Oct-2014, 13:35)GuillaumeB Wrote: Our friends across the channel have been experimenting with these cables with great results:

http://audioprana.free.fr/coa_num_cot.htm

They also make an S/PDIF>AES hybrid cable which is featured a bit lower down the page.

Prices seem very reasonable, their top of the range S/PDIF cable is 300 euros.

Quoting from jalucine's post on the Forum Audiophile (http://www.forum-audiophile.fr/amplis/devialet-d-premier-120-200-250-400-800-t11107-2595.html)

"En conclusion, ce câble fait faire un progrès significatif au système. La transparence, la résolution, l’image sonore, la qualité des timbres, la musicalité globalement."

Translation: In conclusion this cable had a major impact on the system: greater transparency, better resolution, improved imaging and timbres and overall musicality.

Interestingly this is exactly how I would have described the improvement from my TA XL S/PDIF. Except that my cable cost me over £3k!!!!

Once again if you haven't tried other cables linking your two units you really owe it to yourself to have a play... (obviously I'm not aiming this comment at the cable sceptics on this forum!). In my system is was a very big improvement.

Guillaume
Guillaume

Not being fluent in French can you tell us which configuration they found worked best?  the RCA/RCA or the RCA/AES EBU?

Thanks

Kerry

Hi Kerry it seems as though many of the French Devialet owners really like the Audioprana hybrid cable, so RCA/AES. I've not tried it myself but I believe Confused on here has one.

Guillaume