Devialet Chat
Master/slave link - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet Expert 400/800, Original d'Atelier, Expert 210/440/1000 Pro (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Expert-400-800-Original-d-Atelier-Expert-210-440-1000-Pro)
+--- Thread: Master/slave link (/Thread-Master-slave-link)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

RE: Master/slave link - miro - 26-Mar-2015

(26-Mar-2015, 00:12)Mikeeo Wrote:
(25-Mar-2015, 21:19)miro Wrote:
(24-Mar-2015, 08:20)Mikeeo Wrote:
(24-Mar-2015, 07:25)miro Wrote:
(18-Mar-2015, 20:51)Mikeeo Wrote: Yes, it is very nicely made! No stiffness, very light, plugs superb in fitting.
Here's a link: http://www.cabledyne.com/rca-xlr-adapter.html
Please note that my XLR plug is the one from Xhadow and not the one in the picture and this is not the 75 ohm version.
Total price incl pp: USD 320

/Mike

Mike,

Can you explain exactly what you ordered?

Why did you order it with a Xhadow XLR plug, and not the one from the picture?
How did that change the price?

If it is not the 75-ohm version, then what is it?

Hi,

It was custom order of their silver 75 ohm cable were one end had the RCA changed for XLR plug configured for 'standard' RCA to XLR conversion. Meaning 'positive' RCA to 'signal positive' (pin 2) on the XLR then RCA 'shield' to 'signal negative' bridged with 'shield' (pins 3 and 1, resp) on the XLR side. This is the normal way of config RCA ro XLR. 
About plugs: I do believe and did many test my self with plugs through the years and they certainly are the deciding factor if a cable will 'sound' at its best or not. Not only will the plug put its signature to the performance but also if wires are soldered, welded or something else. Hence I ordered, even if I didn't have any experience with the Xhadow since before, the Xhadow XLR as people I trust told me these are a better plugs. But until you try different plugs for the same cable it may be hard to believe. I've been diy for more than 25 years and not only cables.
There is also the practical/mechanical side of a plug that plays a role, how well it will fit and the contact it will create. If you will unplug and plug many times some plugs will loose their fit and function.
The fit of this plugs to the Devialet contacts are just perfect.
So, my shipping cost from US to Sweden was USD 39, so the cable cost me USD 281. I ordered 0,7 meters (cost USD 216) and I guess the XLR cost me USD 65 extra.

Hope this answers your questions/Mike

Why custom order of their 75 ohm coaxial cable, and not the 110 ohm AES/EBU?

I figured that the least interface for the signal to 'see' would be to take the '75' ohm out signal and then through a 75 ohm cable to finally be transformed at the AES/EBU side by its internal transformer. 
I know that Thierry recommended to use a 110 ohm cable for the RCA to XLR but I couldn't see the advantage of that. 
If someone tested with a 110 ohm cable, please tell us how it worked out!?

/Mike

Where did Thierry recommend to use a 110 ohm cable for the RCA to XLR ?

RE: Master/slave link - Mikeeo - 26-Mar-2015

Where did Thierry recommend to use a 110 ohm cable for the RCA to XLR ?

To me in a conversation over telephone. I am not sure that he just wanted to get rid of me and did a 50/50 in terms of 75 or 110 ohm Wink.
The more I think about it the less important 75 or 110 ohm will be due to that the '75' ohm signal leaves the Devialet through a female RCA and not a BNC, so who knows what the impedance looks like!? If someone could measure this that would be great, someone?

/Mike

RE: Master/slave link - miro - 26-Mar-2015

(26-Mar-2015, 09:55)Mikeeo Wrote: Where did Thierry recommend to use a 110 ohm cable for the RCA to XLR ?

To me in a conversation over telephone. I am not sure that he just wanted to get rid of me and did a 50/50 in terms of 75 or 110 ohm Wink.
The more I think about it the less important 75 or 110 ohm will be due to that the '75' ohm signal leaves the Devialet through a female RCA and not a BNC, so who knows what the impedance looks like!? If someone could measure this that would be great, someone?

/Mike

To measure what exactly?

RE: Master/slave link - Mikeeo - 26-Mar-2015

(26-Mar-2015, 10:26)miro Wrote:
(26-Mar-2015, 09:55)Mikeeo Wrote: Where did Thierry recommend to use a 110 ohm cable for the RCA to XLR ?

/Mike

To measure what exactly?

As it is not a BNC on the output side but a RCA (to my knowledge RCA is not true 75 ohm) it would be interesting to see what it really is.
On the more pragmatic side, test 75 and 110 ohm cables and see if you prefer one or the other!

/Mike

RE: Master/slave link - Mohmm - 26-Mar-2015

/Mike

He strongly recommended the 110 Ohm version also to me when asked about the Master-Slave link. I prepared a cable along the lines suggested at the D-website but haven't  tested it extensively. Instead I use an RCA to XLR cable from Audioprana with great success and no problem at all.

RE: Master/slave link - MusicFirst - 26-Mar-2015

Does Anyone know for sure if the Audioprana SP/Dif-AES/EBU cable uses a transformer? Either under the wood collar midway between the connectors or within either of the connectors?

Thanks

Kerry

RE: Master/slave link - Mohmm - 26-Mar-2015

(26-Mar-2015, 18:44)MusicFirst Wrote: Does Anyone know for sure if the Audioprana SP/Dif-AES/EBU cable uses a transformer? Either under the wood collar midway between the connectors or within either of the connectors?

Thanks

Kerry

Why don't you directly ask the Audioprana person him/herself?

RE: Master/slave link - MusicFirst - 26-Mar-2015

(26-Mar-2015, 19:42)Mohmm Wrote:
(26-Mar-2015, 18:44)MusicFirst Wrote: Does Anyone know for sure if the Audioprana SP/Dif-AES/EBU cable uses a transformer? Either under the wood collar midway between the connectors or within either of the connectors?

Thanks

Kerry

Why don't you directly ask the Audioprana person him/herself?

I E-mailed them but have no response yet.  I should be more patient! Blush

Master/slave link - amabrok - 29-Mar-2015

I just picked up the Audioprana RCA/XLR cable from the post office earlier today. The build quality looks excellent and I'm looking forward to hearing it in my system later tonight.

Will report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Master/slave link - Atomjohan - 29-Mar-2015

(29-Mar-2015, 07:55)amabrok Wrote: I just picked up the Audioprana RCA/XLR cable from the post office earlier today. The build quality looks excellent and I'm looking forward to hearing it in my system later tonight.

Will report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking forward to that Smile

About to order one for myself as well.

//Johan