Devialet Chat
Master/slave link - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet Expert 400/800, Original d'Atelier, Expert 210/440/1000 Pro (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Expert-400-800-Original-d-Atelier-Expert-210-440-1000-Pro)
+--- Thread: Master/slave link (/Thread-Master-slave-link)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

RE: Master/slave link - f1eng - 02-Sep-2014

I have compared a long RCA to AES/EBU cable of unknown make, supplied by Oxford Audio to connect my second D-Premier to the first, as recommended by Devialet with a short (0.5m) Van Damme SPDIF cable (I thought I had bought Mogami, but it was van Damme).
I did not notice an obvious difference at the time.
Writing this reply has triggered a thought, I may try again to see if I can get the stereo imagery to be as good on the 800 as it was on the D-Premier when using the Epilogs (which are not connected to the Devialet at the moment).

RE: Master/slave link - Confused - 11-Sep-2014

Got my 250 slave last week, and lo and behold, it comes complete with a link cable. I guess too many people had complained about this omission. The Devialet supplied cable is a simple stereo item, unbranded, and looks exactly like something you would expect to get from Amazon for 75 pence, with a very slim moulded plastic jack plug at each end. It works fine though, I guess the cable is just for basic signals etc, and quality is not too much of an issue.

RE: Master/slave link - aerki - 12-Sep-2014

Hi,

My own tests led me to the conclusion that this link is of the utmost importance. There is here a large room for optimization.
So much more SQ hidden by this cable that I would have believe when starting my test campaign
Straight to the point, I am using now a special cable between RCA (Master) and AES EBU (slave). By special I mean including a transformator on the signal path.

The purpose is to avoid that any reflected wave (due to impedance mismatching on the connector side) comes back to the opposite electronic.

I found such a cable from a small french designer (audioprana, look here at this ugly website http://audioprana.free.fr/catalogue%20vente%20en%20ligne.htm , description in french: Câble de symétrisation sortie source rca/spdif 75 Ohms vers entrée AES/EBU 110 Ohms (fiches bois précieux) 260€). Transfo is done with the same silver signal cable, no interruption, no soldering (otherwise impedance issues...).
There are also some additionnal refined stuff, e.g special wood connectors (vibrations, no metal = no antenna) etc

Again, this type of solution grants that no disturbance will come back to the electronic.
It releases a brand new potential for the D400/ D800, miles away from what you get out of the box (Here that was a crystal cable like some of you).

Hope you'll find something similar in UK

NB: the diy direct wiring solution (RCA to AES/EBU) currently suggested by the manufacturer on their website works but makes eventually no sense. With this you can only get basic sound, which coincidently means that you are throwing away the money of your companion (This is supposed to be bad habits, am I wrong ?)

RE: Master/slave link - Mikeeo - 12-Sep-2014

(12-Sep-2014, 00:45)aerki Wrote: Hi,

My own tests led me to the conclusion that this link is of the utmost importance. There is here a large room for optimization.
So much more SQ hidden by this cable that I would have believe when starting my test campaign
Straight to the point, I am using now a special cable between RCA (Master) and AES EBU (slave). By special I mean including a transformator on the signal path.

The purpose is to avoid that any reflected wave (due to impedance mismatching on the connector side) comes back to the opposite electronic.

I found such a cable from a small french designer (audioprana, look here at this ugly website http://audioprana.free.fr/catalogue%20vente%20en%20ligne.htm , description in french: Câble de symétrisation sortie source rca/spdif 75 Ohms vers entrée AES/EBU 110 Ohms (fiches bois précieux) 260€). Transfo is done with the same silver signal cable, no interruption, no soldering (otherwise impedance issues...).
There are also some additionnal refined stuff, e.g special wood connectors (vibrations, no metal = no antenna) etc

Again, this type of solution grants that no disturbance will come back to the electronic.
It releases a brand new potential for the D400/ D800, miles away from what you get out of the box (Here that was a crystal cable like some of you).

Hope you'll find something similar in UK

NB: the diy direct wiring solution (RCA to AES/EBU) currently suggested by the manufacturer on their website works but makes eventually no sense. With this you can only get basic sound, which coincidently means that you are throwing away the money of your companion (This is supposed to be bad habits, am I wrong ?)

Hi and thanks for this report! Gives some hope of getting it straight my self after from the beginning having issue with the 'mono' balance. I still wait for my diy cable, RCA-RCA though, but I am sure it will be better.
Only thing that disturbs me is that Devialet doesn't seem to take us serious when reporting about the 'mis' match between mono units and helping us out with a correct cable or software. I was told not to worry and just sit down and listen. Well that has been used too often from Dev.

Anyway, good that we Devvers pushing the limits/Mike

RE: Master/slave link - Confused - 12-Sep-2014

(11-Sep-2014, 21:34)Confused Wrote: Got my 250 slave last week, and lo and behold, it comes complete with a link cable. I guess too many people had complained about this omission. The Devialet supplied cable is a simple stereo item, unbranded, and looks exactly like something you would expect to get from Amazon for 75 pence, with a very slim moulded plastic jack plug at each end. It works fine though, I guess the cable is just for basic signals etc, and quality is not too much of an issue.

Just to clarify, this post referes to the 3.5mm jack to jack link cable. The SPDIF / coax digital cable supplied with the slave is the Crystal cable as mentioned previously in this thread.

Sound from slave inputs - theaudioguru - 17-Sep-2014

Hi Guys,
I'm not having any success with getting the inputs on the slave to play.
They show up on the display but no sound, what am I doing wrong?

The supplied cable is connected per configurator and I have a mini cable between master and slave but don't know if it is correct.

Could someone post a diagram or pic of those who have successfully accomplished playback from the slave?
thanks,
audioguru (or not Wink

RE: Master/slave link - aerki - 18-Sep-2014

(17-Sep-2014, 23:46)theaudioguru Wrote: Hi Guys,
I'm not having any success with getting the inputs on the slave to play.
They show up on the display but no sound, what am I doing wrong?

The supplied cable is connected per configurator and I have a mini cable between master and slave but don't know if it is correct.

Could someone post a diagram or pic of those who have successfully accomplished playback from the slave?
thanks,
audioguru (or not Wink

Dear audio Guru,

First of all, I wish to express that I have nothing but admiration for the british humor

Anyhow, in favour of a more pragmatic approach I would say that to use the inputs of a slave you should first use the RCA/RCA link (not the RCA - AES/EBU).
Then left click on the slave link RCA connector. A pop-up will appear where you have to select "Share sources from slave".

Select and Parametrize the inputs you need.

Then you have the 2 configurations (Master + Slave) to save. Each of them on a memory card.

First test:
Normally, when you start your amp with the remote controller (or by pushing the front button of the master amp) a few seconds later you will notice on the display of the slave amp that the 2 amps are synchronized.

RE: Master/slave link - theaudioguru - 18-Sep-2014

Thanks aerki for your kind comments and prompt reply Wink
I have the amps synced ok but think I messed up with the trigger cable. On the configurator it shows a grey line indicating the trigger cable I believe. Do I also need to enable the trigger on the configurator?
Thanks
audioguru / partime apprentice

RE: Master/slave link - f1eng - 18-Sep-2014

(18-Sep-2014, 15:07)theaudioguru Wrote: Thanks aerki for your kind comments and prompt reply Wink
I have the amps synced ok but think I messed up with the trigger cable. On the configurator it shows a grey line indicating the trigger cable I believe. Do I also need to enable the trigger on the configurator?
Thanks

The trigger cable automatically appears on the configurator when the slave inputs are enabled, so no further action is required there.
I had a problem myself which turned out to be a problem with the link cable itself being faulty.
There are 2 sockets which take a miniature (⅛") TRS jack
on the back of the Devialet. One possible mistake is not using the correct ones.
The link cable goes from the lower one on the master to the upper one on the slave.

RE: Master/slave link - oxfordaudio - 18-Sep-2014

(18-Sep-2014, 15:07)theaudioguru Wrote: Thanks aerki for your kind comments and prompt reply Wink
Thanks
It is also possible that the link cable is not making a proper connection on the trigger input socket on the master as, if the plug surround is too thick it is not possible to plug it fully in and therefore you are not making the connection between the 2.
This only seems to happen on the 200 rather than the 250 as there is a metal lip that runs along the bottom of the back chassis.
Devialet are now supplying a white link cable for this purpose which has much smaller plug surrounds and will work fine.