Devialet Chat
Auralic Aries - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: Auralic Aries (/Thread-Auralic-Aries)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Auralic Aries - GuillaumeB - 24-Aug-2014

(23-Aug-2014, 19:16)jjo Wrote: So, I paid the taxes and custom fees and my Aries was released for delivery. Too bad nothing will happen before next week Sad

In the mean time things took and interesting turn. A friend of mine brought me Lumin T1 to play with for a couple of days Smile

What is it like jjo?! Are you running it through your Devialet?

Guillaume

RE: Auralic Aries - jjo - 24-Aug-2014

(24-Aug-2014, 09:14)GuillaumeB Wrote: What is it like jjo?! Are you running it through your Devialet?

It's seriously heavy. It's heavier than my Devialet and all it does is streaming. Even though my Devialet feels solid, this thing is built like a tank. A heavy tank.

At the moment I'm just trying to get the feel of the device and software. After a little getting used to the Lumin app is quite all right. However it also works with Kazoo from Linn and Lightning DS from Auralic. Which is pretty cool.

I am using it with my Devialet, but at the moment I'm using the SPDIF output and not really comparing the Lumin DAC to Devialet. I've understood that Lumin will release streamer without a DAC later this year, so I'm looking to see how that would work. I've hear d good things about the Lumin DAC though, but testing it is not a priority.

RE: Auralic Aries - GuillaumeB - 24-Aug-2014

(23-Aug-2014, 21:50)PhilP Wrote:
(23-Aug-2014, 11:53)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(23-Aug-2014, 11:10)GTX Wrote: Guillaume,
Did you have a chance to try the Aries before purchasing? Impressions?

Hi there, no not yet. Getting it on a 14 day sale or return. Will be posting detailed impressions once I've had a chance to use.

Guillaume

Excellent Guillaume! Hopefully you will have the Totaldac, Aries and Mind all at the same time. The comments about the Aries on Computer Audiophile now seem a lot more positive than a couple of weeks ago with several people saying it sounds better than a Mac Mini so it's looking like a lot more attractive option.

Have you decided how you will compare them? I guess that NAS, Streamer and Devialet (AIR) all connected to the same router via ethernet UPnP would be the most obvious approach but it would be interesting to try other connections e.g AES/EBU if you have the time and patience.

I'm very much looking forward to your findings.

Philip

Hi Philip,

My setup in the case of the MiND, Aries and d1 server:

QNAP NAS > AQ Diamond ethernet > Draytek router > AQ Carbon cat 7 > Cisco switch (with power cable connected to Isotek Sigmas) > AQ Diamond ethernet > MiND/Aries/d1 server > Transparent XL AES/EBU > Devialet Master

I should add that both the QNAP NAS and Draytek router are connected to an Entreq Silver Minimus ground box using Challenger RJ45 ground cables.

At the streamer end the MiND is currently grounded to a Silver Tellus box using an Apollo cable. With the Aries and d1 server I will compare grounded to Entreq v non-grounded (obviously I've already done this with the MiND).

I have already been experimenting with AIR with the following set up:

MacBook Air (2014) running Audirvana > wifi > Draytek router > AQ Carbon cat 7 > Cisco switch > AQ Diamond ethernet > Devialet

I don't currently have a PC and haven't yet tried J River...

Guillaume

RE: Auralic Aries - GTX - 24-Aug-2014

(24-Aug-2014, 09:45)jjo Wrote: I've understood that Lumin will release streamer without a DAC later this year

Has anyone heard a similar rumor? I have heard the Lumin t/s1 in Munich and it is a gorgeous machine. A Lumin streamer would be quite an interesting partner for the Devialet (both in terms of SQ and look)!

RE: Auralic Aries - Kunter - 24-Aug-2014

(24-Aug-2014, 10:04)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(23-Aug-2014, 21:50)PhilP Wrote:
(23-Aug-2014, 11:53)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(23-Aug-2014, 11:10)GTX Wrote: Guillaume,
Did you have a chance to try the Aries before purchasing? Impressions?

Hi there, no not yet. Getting it on a 14 day sale or return. Will be posting detailed impressions once I've had a chance to use.

Guillaume

Excellent Guillaume! Hopefully you will have the Totaldac, Aries and Mind all at the same time. The comments about the Aries on Computer Audiophile now seem a lot more positive than a couple of weeks ago with several people saying it sounds better than a Mac Mini so it's looking like a lot more attractive option.

Have you decided how you will compare them? I guess that NAS, Streamer and Devialet (AIR) all connected to the same router via ethernet UPnP would be the most obvious approach but it would be interesting to try other connections e.g AES/EBU if you have the time and patience.

I'm very much looking forward to your findings.

Philip

Hi Philip,

QNAP NAS > AQ Diamond ethernet > Draytek router > AQ Carbon cat 7 > Cisco switch (with power cable connected to Isotek Sigmas) > AQ Diamond ethernet > MiND/Aries/d1 server > Transparent XL AES/EBU > Devialet Master

I should add that both the QNAP NAS and Draytek router are connected to an Entreq Silver Minimus ground box using Challenger RJ45 ground cables.

At the streamer end the MiND is currently grounded to a Silver Tellus box using an Apollo cable. With the Aries and d1 server I will compare grounded to Entreq v non-grounded (obviously I've already done this with the MiND).

MacBook Air (2014) running Audirvana > wifi > Draytek router > AQ Carbon cat 7 > Cisco switch > AQ Diamond ethernet > Devialet

Guillaume

Guillaume,
I would try and test USB in the case of Aries as well... may be with a diamond usb if you can get your hands on one...
Looking forward to your opinions...
Kunter

RE: Auralic Aries - PhilP - 24-Aug-2014

(24-Aug-2014, 10:04)GuillaumeB Wrote: Hi Philip,

Guillaume

Hi Guillaume,

that's a really excellent set-up for comparing the streamers and the Entreq comparison will really be the icing on the cake.

Just a couple of questions:

1. Why will you use AES/EBU for the streamer to Devialet connection when you're using ethernet for all the others? Is it because you have an especially nice AES/EBU cable? It would be great if you could try ethernet for that connection as well as that's what us lesser mortals are most likely to use Smile

2. It's difficult to perform any sort of comparison without expectation bias and no doubt some people will complain if you don't do the comparison blind. Any thoughts on this?

3. Have you noticed any difference between vanilla AIR on the Macbook versus AIR with A+? I'm still not sure how A+ can improve the sound when AIR + itunes is bit perfect?

I'm sure you will have a really enjoyable time performing the comparison and hope you've booked enough time off work Smile

Best regards,

Philip

RE: Auralic Aries - Rufus McDufus - 24-Aug-2014

Well this is what stopped me from using AIR as previously I'd used either VLC or iTumes to play music to AIR (configured bit perfect) and I wasn't impressed. The moment I used jRiver or Audivarna it's a different story - much better. It makes no logical sense if we assume the exact same file bit-wise is being sent to the Devialet.

RE: Auralic Aries - Kunter - 24-Aug-2014

(24-Aug-2014, 11:52)PhilP Wrote: 3. Have you noticed any difference between vanilla AIR on the Macbook versus AIR with A+? I'm still not sure how A+ can improve the sound when AIR + itunes is bit perfect?

In my experience, A+ makes a difference. More air, more involvement.

The effect is more so when the volume is high enough so that the volume of A+, strangely enough active, reads 0 db.

Cheers...

RE: Auralic Aries - PhilP - 24-Aug-2014

(24-Aug-2014, 12:45)Rufus McDufus Wrote: Well this is what stopped me from using AIR as previously I'd used either VLC or iTumes to play music to AIR (configured bit perfect) and I wasn't impressed. The moment I used jRiver or Audivarna it's a different story - much better. It makes no logical sense if we assume the exact same file bit-wise is being sent to the Devialet.

Rufus,

Ok, you've convinced me - I will try A+ without AIR and see whether I can tell the difference. If it's better then iTunes/AIR I would be very happy, though from a usability point of view I hope that one of the streamer options will prove to be better than a Mac/PC.

Just sat down to watch the start of the GP. Wife and son out so a few minutes of peace....

Thanks,

Philip

RE: Auralic Aries - Rufus McDufus - 24-Aug-2014

I'm talking about Audivarna into AIR. I used AV standalone and not using an iTunes library. The problem is AV is not very user friendly. I find jRiver not quite as good sound quality wise but much more useable!

Yep, it's Spa baby!