Devialet Chat
New Speakers - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Speakers (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Speakers)
+--- Thread: New Speakers (/Thread-New-Speakers)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: New Speakers - Womaz - 10-Jan-2016

Yes the SAM at 0% definitely stops the bass overpowering the room, I have also managed to get the speakers just under two feel off the back wall, so it's maybe the two things combined.
So after a lot of messing about I had a good listening session last night.
Impressions are the same as the initial one. They are gorgeous and sweet with the treble and in my lively room this is exactly what I needed.
They fill the room , like really fill the room and they have a very relaxed smooth sound.
They could lack a bit of punch though , it's very hard to tell when you are listening to speakers with an intention to buy them as I think I can tend to overanalyse. Overall though I love them.
I will put my PMCs back in at some stage and I think that's when I will be able to really tell whether I think the Olypicas will stay.
I admit part of me wants to hear the PMC26s in my room as they ma have that punch I seem to miss, however I doubt they will have the sweet treble and smooth sound the Olymoicas have.
I guess there is no speaker out there that will give you everything.

RE: New Speakers - Womaz - 10-Jan-2016

(10-Jan-2016, 10:02)KraaijCheck Wrote: I have Sam at 20% voor my Olympica's.

Yes I tried that too, for me with the size of the room even that appeared a bit too much. I went to 50% at first and then 20% and eventually settled at 0%

RE: New Speakers - Womaz - 11-Jan-2016

So having finally get the placement of the speakers away from the wall as far as possible and the SAM set to 0% I once again had a full nights listening.
For want of repeating myself there are so many things I love about this speaker especially the treble, so sweet and smooth. Drums have a lovely deep sound and they do fill my room beautifully.
However for me the bass is the issue. It still overpowers my room on quite a lot of tracks. For female vocals they excel, as long as they are not drowned out by the bass. I feel thats what I hear .....the bass is so overpowering on occasions that i feel as if it is all I can hear.
There is nothing wrong with this speaker at all and I am fairly sure it just does not work in my room. I could try to turn the bass down a little and I am tempted to do that, but feel I should not be making so many compromises for a new speaker.......or should I say a potential new speaker.

Last night I was listening to one of my favourite CDs of last year. Grimes - Art Attack. I know it well as I have played it to death since I bought it so I thought I would listen to the full album. For me it sounded great, but there was just something missing. I could not put my finger on what it was. I then decided that after four days wit the 23s unplugged it was time to see what they sounded like.
So i put the Grimes album on. I was expecting to hate the PMCs and to miss the full smooth sound of the Olympicas. Not sure why though I just was.
It was the complete opposite, straight away the smile come back on my face and I was singing and tapping my feet and was so much more emotionally involved with the music. It sounded exciting, punchy and lively. My aplogies for my lack of ability is relaying what i hear, I just relate it to how it makes me feel. They did sound thinner for sure , but on the tracks where I had a problem with the bass, it was tight and controlled and filled the room without it clouding everything else.

I think my mind is made up that the Olympicas just dont work in my room. Putting my 23s back in was a revelation I was not expecting. I now may even stick with them, but of course I am now thinking can I get what the Olympicas do so well and keep the excitement and punch of the 23s.
The PMC 26s now seem the logical choice as I would assume they sound very similar to the 23s but with a fuller smoother sound.
Of course I will be open to suggestions from my dealer too, but I feel my original thoughts of needing a front ported speaker would make the choice a little easier. I cant expect him to keep delivering speaker after speaker to my home until i get what I want -)

The journey continues

RE: New Speakers - Robert - 11-Jan-2016

The true test is if you get more involved in the music, as you say. Check out some other options, maybe Beonicke?

(11-Jan-2016, 17:42)Robert Wrote: The true test is if you get more involved in the music, as you say. Check out some other options, maybe Beonicke?

Hi Robert, unfortunately I have a limited choice up in the NE of England............time to ponder again Smile

Some of you more knowledgable than me might be able to explain to me what a reflex port at the bottom of the speaker wills do.
The reason I ask is the sf venere s which is the next model down, has this. Could this stop the bass boom in my room.

RE: New Speakers - Damon - 11-Jan-2016

Hi Womaz,

I'm exactly the opposite of knowledgeable, but I had a thought: is it possible that you are trying to fit too much speaker into your room? From what I thing I understand of your listening habits (from a very great distance), I think your listening includes some big, thumpy, dance music (or similar) and that you like some volume. I wonder if you might be better able to do that with 'smaller' speaker. That is, one with less radiating area, so that when you give it some welly, as you might say, that you are not overloading the room with super capable bass. The SF Oly II's would easily be able to move a lot of air, and perhaps, given the dimensions of your room, you end up producing more bass waves/ air movement than your room can handle.

The 20 23 is a very fine speaker (I'm tempted by the PMC's myself), and the transmission line handles bass very nicely. Not many moderately-priced speakers do 20 Hz. as the PMC's do.

So, taking a different approach, I wonder if a speaker like a Dynaudio C1 stand mount (or similar) might work well in your space. Certainly bass extension would be compromised a bit, but the trick is to get the definition, quickness and articulation in the bass. I say this in part because in my room, I think I have a bit too much speaker for the room volume when I get going on something like 'Surreal' by John O'Callaghan.

Just a thought. Back to work.

RE: New Speakers - Womaz - 12-Jan-2016

(11-Jan-2016, 23:16)Damon Wrote: Hi Womaz,

I'm exactly the opposite of knowledgeable, but I had a thought: is it possible that you are trying to fit too much speaker into your room? From what I thing I understand of your listening habits (from a very great distance), I think your listening includes some big, thumpy, dance music (or similar) and that you like some volume. I wonder if you might be better able to do that with 'smaller' speaker. That is, one with less radiating area, so that when you give it some welly, as you might say, that you are not overloading the room with super capable bass. The SF Oly II's would easily be able to move a lot of air, and perhaps, given the dimensions of your room, you end up producing more bass waves/ air movement than your room can handle.

The 20 23 is a very fine speaker (I'm tempted by the PMC's myself), and the transmission line handles bass very nicely. Not many moderately-priced speakers do 20 Hz. as the PMC's do.

So, taking a different approach, I wonder if a speaker like a Dynaudio C1 stand mount (or similar) might work well in your space. Certainly bass extension would be compromised a bit, but the trick is to get the definition, quickness and articulation in the bass. I say this in part because in my room, I think I have a bit too much speaker for the room volume when I get going on something like 'Surreal' by John O'Callaghan.

Just a thought. Back to work.

Hi Damon, I have had floorstanders for the last 20 years and just cant see myself going back to a standmount, but I do take your point.
The room is not that small at 14ft by 23ft, but its the smaller dimension that is where I sit. So with the Olympica twp feet off the wall I am only about 8ft away from the speaker.
I do like to play music quite loud when i can but not at deafening volumes -20db about the norm. I do still enjoy all the dance music yes even though at my age I should be past all that, but I also play a lot of other music too from all different genres.
I will keep listening and comparing. I know the SFs are the better speaker i can hear that, but for some reason last night I wanted to hear my 23s. The 23s certainly punch well above their weight, so now logic says I should at least try the 26s

RE: New Speakers - Womaz - 12-Jan-2016

More listening tonight and yes I had to admit that I was missing that authority and weight of the Olympicas. The 23s have more punch in my opinion but the SFs have so many other attributes.
Listening at low volume levels there is no comparison the SFs are much better.
Vocals with the SFs have so much more depth and female vocals especially go way down low, excellent.

I now know exactly what I want. The sweetness of the SFs treble is a delight after my struggles with the 23s brightness. The SFs are smooth and never seem flustered, like they handle it all without ever feeling pushed. The PMCs can sometimes not do the same.

I think the PMCs are probably suited to certain types of music and the SFs another.
Tonight I was feeling a bit nostalgic and put some 70s Bowie on. On the PMCs the harshness was there, I switched to the SFs and it was gone and that smooth sound was there. Leads me to believe the SFs are more forgiving.

So now I have the SFs two feet off the wall, SAM at 0% and I have also took 2db off the bass with the remote. The bass overpowering has now virtually gone, well it has with the tracks I struggled with last night.

The PMC 26s might give me some of that excitement that the SFs lack but they wont have the sweet treble I would doubt. A part of me thinks I should at least here them in my room though.
I have more time so it will be an interesting few days

RE: New Speakers - Robert - 12-Jan-2016

The Olympicas are more natural sounding. But if your not entirely happy with them I would audition some alternatives, like Beonicke W8's or Raidho X1's/C1.1's. Also Adam Audio might be worth checking out or Audio Physics.