Devialet Chat
New Speakers - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Speakers (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Speakers)
+--- Thread: New Speakers (/Thread-New-Speakers)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: New Speakers - Damon - 14-Jan-2016

Womaz,

I don't see any reason to think that a tone adjustment is a problem. In fact, I would think that adjusting the tone control frequency, and then adjusting up or down a few dB is exactly what the controls should be used for. In an anechoic chamber, in a testing or design situation, flat would be the trick.

Persons doing room correction are doing exactly the same thing, except in a more complex manner.

Instrument amplifiers, bass in my case, have tone controls as well. And I realized that they are needed to adjust the sound to suit the room size and reflectivity. I twiddle the knobs to get back to the sound I want in each particular room- or to suit annoyingly loud guitar players. Drag your gear from place to place and it sounds different; especially the bottom end.

I would not, personally, be adjusting the tone controls all the time. Each song is different, so making the bass or treble consistent for all recordings in not logical. All instruments are different, and the Dev really reveals those differences. I also found SAM at 0% was better than SAM off. I think you are doing things exactly correctly.

Just my depressingly-low 0.02 canadian.

RE: New Speakers - Womaz - 14-Jan-2016

(14-Jan-2016, 20:04)Damon Wrote: Womaz,

I don't see any reason to think that a tone adjustment is a problem. In fact, I would think that adjusting the tone control frequency, and then adjusting up or down a  few dB is exactly what the controls should be used for. In an anechoic chamber, in a testing or design situation, flat would be the trick.

Persons doing room correction are doing exactly the same thing, except in a more complex manner.

Instrument amplifiers, bass in my case, have tone controls as well. And I realized that they are needed to adjust the sound to suit the room size and reflectivity. I twiddle the knobs to get back to the sound I want in each particular room- or to suit annoyingly loud guitar players.  Drag your gear from place to place and it sounds different; especially the bottom end.

I would not, personally, be adjusting the tone controls all the time. Each song is different, so making the bass or treble consistent for all recordings in not logical. All instruments are different, and the Dev really reveals those differences. I also found SAM at 0% was better than SAM off. I think you are doing things exactly correctly.

Just my depressingly-low 0.02 canadian.

Thanks again Damon. I have got the bass right now with the Olmpicas and what a difference it makes. I can hear everything now. Really enjoying them

RE: New Speakers - Womaz - 20-Jan-2016

Another week listening exclusively to the Olympicas, so I decided to put the 23s back in to the system and see how it sounded.
Now I know the Olympicas are a big step up from the 23s. The 23s now sound thin and a little “tinny” a word my girlfriend uses. They sound boxy and lack the soundstage I have now got used to.
The Olympicas have a much fuller sound and they really fill the room. One downside for me is the bass can still sometimes overpower my room. The bass can be a bit dull.
I think I actually prefer the tighter bass of the 23, but it does lack the impact the Olympicas bass has.
I guess what would be idea l now was if the 26 kept a lot of the 23s characteristics, like the tight bass, but also gave me the soundstage and full sound I get from the Olympicas.

RE: New Speakers - samurai7595 - 20-Jan-2016

(20-Jan-2016, 00:24)Womaz Wrote: Now I know the Olympicas are a big step up from the 23s.

They should be at 3x the price.

(20-Jan-2016, 00:24)Womaz Wrote: One downside for me is the bass can still sometimes overpower my room.

This tells me that these speakers are not a good match for your room. Probably too "big" for the room. This would definitely be a deal breaker for me.

When I auditioned various ProAc speakers, I really wanted the D40R but when I brought them home for an audition, the bass was too much for my room. For this reason I got the D30R.

RE: New Speakers - Womaz - 20-Jan-2016

Time will tell I guess. I don't feel that my room is small, at 14ft by 23 ft. Probably more the fact that they are two foot off the back wall.
It is only on occasions it overpowers the room. It would be ideal if I could overcome that, but to be honest I put the 23s back in and the bass on those certain tracks still sounded boomy.
After having the Olympicas in all week I doubt I will stick with my 23s as the step up was enough to justify the extra outlay.
The PMC26 hopefully will be demoed soon. I think they will handle the bass better but not sure what else I will miss that I get from the Olympicas.
Would be great if I could compare them both but that would be asking a little too much of my dealer I think

RE: New Speakers - Robert - 20-Jan-2016

Womaz, try to get a listen to Raidho and Beonicke as well.

RE: New Speakers - Womaz - 21-Jan-2016

Well I really heard what the Olympicas are capable of tonight. Amber Rubarth - Sessions from the 17th Ward. They sounded exquisite. Stunning

RE: New Speakers - rwjr44 - 22-Jan-2016

(03-Jan-2016, 00:44)Robert Wrote:
(02-Jan-2016, 23:38)rwjr44 Wrote:
(02-Jan-2016, 20:15)Robert Wrote: Anyone using Legacy Audio Focus's or Signatures's? Opinion/comparisons? Thanks.

I have Focus SEs and they are a great match foe the D200s and I going to D400s would make them sing even better. The Signature's are very similar just not as good. The folks at Legacy are very proud of the Focus and I am very happy with them.

Hi, rwjr thanks for the reply. Can you describe what you like about them please. What comparisons have you made?

So sorry to take this long to reply. I was a long time owner of Martin Logan speakers and even dabbled with Magnepan a few times. Before buying these speakers I auditioned (at home) Zu Definition IVs, Revel Studio (I forget the model but comparable in price) and I took the time to listen to the new Focal models in a well appointed audio store. The Legacy Audio Signatures SEs (SEs) were certainly a match for these speakers and didn't have an idiosyncratic sound. I was concerned that the D200 wouldn't have enough power for the SEs but it drives the speakers very well. The SEs would benefit from more power but that won't happen for some time. The SEs are quiet and well mannered. Silky smooth throughout the range but illustrates the nature of the recording (Bad recordings sound bad). Slam? SLAM! But only when the recording dictates it. No false mid bass or low bass. I am often startled when listening to a recording with a high dynamic range. The music is quiet and then suddenly the impact of the dynamic passage can be felt and just as sudden the music is quiet again. I love the way the instruments are rendered regardless of the genre. I am mainly a jazz fan but also listen to a good amount of R&B, rock and electronic music. I even try to listen to modern pop. Try because much of today's pop is poorly produced and grates on the nerves. It sounds good in the car but not so much on the rig. Smile  My room is 20' X 13' X 8' and the speakers are placed well into the room. Finally, the price was right. These speakers are available with good discounts when choosing the standard veneers AND they started construction only after I ordered. Made just for me! Angel

RE: New Speakers - Hifi_swlon - 23-Jan-2016

(21-Jan-2016, 23:00)Womaz Wrote: Well I really heard what the Olympicas are capable of tonight. Amber Rubarth - Sessions from the 17th Ward. They sounded exquisite. Stunning

Will they be appearing in your signature soon? Smile

RE: New Speakers - Womaz - 23-Jan-2016

Well I know now that I will be replacing my 23s as the Olympicas are a big step up in so many ways. However I am trying to get a home demo of the 26 s too. I think it would be mad to if I am spending this sort of cash.