Devialet Chat
New Speakers - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Speakers (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Speakers)
+--- Thread: New Speakers (/Thread-New-Speakers)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: New Speakers - Hifi_swlon - 17-Feb-2016

I love reading these posts Womaz - I'm enjoying looking for new speakers purely through your journey - since I've been too lazy and also not had enough time to get out there and set up demos for myself. Can't wait to hear more.

At the end of the day you can't go wrong whichever you buy (or even if you stay with the 23's) - if you like the way they sound you like them and will enjoy them - if it doesn't last forever you just sell them and get to try another pair. Wink

RE: New Speakers - Womaz - 17-Feb-2016

Yes I am enjoying it too. I will definitely replace the 23s as the other two options are a big step up. I am just taking my time as I see these speakers as maybe my last speakers. I am 52 now so with hearing only going to get worse I cant see me changing again at this price point. I know we always think that but I also am making a big financial commitment for me with this purchase and do see it as my "end game " if you like.
The Devialet has gave me a new lease of life with regards to my music listening and I have never listened to music as much or enjoyed it as much. Speakers are the next logical step for me. I honestly think i will then have the speakers and amp that I will ultimatley stick with....although eventually the 400 route may appeal.

RE: New Speakers - Hifi_swlon - 17-Feb-2016

(17-Feb-2016, 12:49)Womaz Wrote: ....although eventually the 400 route may appeal.

Hahahaha, and then there's 800, Od'A, and Munich, and a world beyond Devialet…..

And 52 gives plenty of time for more kit Wink

RE: New Speakers - Womaz - 17-Feb-2016

I could never afford an 800....and I mean never!! Big Grin Big Grin

RE: New Speakers - thumb5 - 17-Feb-2016

How's it going after another day with the 26s, Womaz? Looking forward to the next instalment Smile

RE: New Speakers - Womaz - 18-Feb-2016

Not really had a chance to listen on my own today as the girlfriend popped over. Of course I made her do a comparIson and she much preferred the Olympicas, by some margin. She never liked the 23s though so that did not surprise me.
For me I think bass is crucial and I think the 26s and my room go well together. Bass is tighter and does not overpower the room ............but and its a big but......I really wanted to stick the Olympicas back in tonight
I have played my Black Uhuru album a lot over the last 2 months, so I am very familiar with it. On the Olympicas it sounds amazing as the treble sounds great and it's so sweet. Tonight through the PMCs it sounded cold and clinical. And I think this is with reggae music where bass is critical.
I will keep the 26s in for a little while longer though as I think that suits how I judge things

RE: New Speakers - thumb5 - 18-Feb-2016

Sounds as though you're really torn. It's good that you have the chance to listen to both sets of speakers for a while before making a decision -- definitely not something to rush into.

My gut feeling is the Olympicas will be my choice. I can live with the bass being a bit much at times as its only in certain tracks. But overall I think the sweet smooth laid back sound goes really well with the 200 and the Melco.

Just remembered my girlfriends comments. She said when she was listening to the PMCs she could tell the music was coming from the speaker. The Olympicas she said sounded like the music was all over the room and that the instruments were all separated and coming from different placEs in the room.

RE: New Speakers - samurai7595 - 18-Feb-2016

(18-Feb-2016, 00:47)Womaz Wrote: My gut feeling is the Olympicas will be my choice. I can live with the bass being a bit much at times as its only in certain tracks.

Womaz, when you do put the Olympica II speakers in your system, maybe try reversing them. Because of the side port, which ever speaker was on the right, place it on the left and the left on the right. I've been playing around with these speakers (at my dealer) and there was quite a bit of difference in the bass depending if the bass ports point outward or inward.

According to a reviewer:
The side-firing port facilitates useful experimentation as depending on the acoustics of your listening room and proximity of walls you can choose whether the ports will be facing each other or vice versa. By doing this you can optimize performance of the speakers in the particular listening environment

Yes when I first got them I did switch them over but I could not really hear much difference. I changed them over so the sue port had more room . They are now on the outside. One of them has loads of room to breath if you like , however the other one is about a foot from a large tv , but nothing I can do about that. Thanks for the post