Devialet Chat
New Speakers - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Speakers (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Speakers)
+--- Thread: New Speakers (/Thread-New-Speakers)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: New Speakers - Womaz - 19-Feb-2016

Ok this is now getting really interesting. I have had the PMC 26s in now almost exclusively for 3 days.
Today I put the Olympicas back in and it took me back to a month ago when I first started this search. They sounded a little dull and all I could hear was the bass.
I am now starting to think that you just get used to a speaker and then when you put another one in the system you get a bit of a shock.
The Olympicas definitely have a lovely sweet treble and they beat the PMCs i think in this area, but the 26s treble is a massive improvement on my 23s.
For me though tonight the Olympicas have definitely lost a bit of clarity and detail compared to the PMC. Also the bass for me can sometimes just make everything else seem cloudy if that makes sense.
Whereas the PMC26s have a really good tight controlled bass. So the bass to me sounds much better. My daughter disagrees as she likes the bass pumping.
One thing I really dislike with the PMCs is the plinth and the spikes. For me on a speaker costing this much this is a poor effort. They are one big brute of a speaker to sit on the spikes supplied. The Olympicas definitely have a better finish and look too.......but is that really important......probably not if they sound the best.

I also have to have the bass at -3db on the Olympicas whereas the PMCs need no adjuestment. I also have to pull the olympicas right off the back wall again to tame the bass, so i think i am having to make a lot of adjustments just to go with my room. I have not even tried SAM on the PMCs as I cant be bothered with that configurator and switching back and forth. Of course the SAM is set to 0% on the Olymicas anyway to tame the bass.

I could live with either of these speakers as they are both excellent , but quite different at the same time......the exciting thing for me is I am going to own one of them soon. Although right now I have no idea which one.

New Speakers - archer75 - 19-Feb-2016

I see some of you tried Olympicas 2 but what about 3's? What do you get extra vs 2's?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RE: New Speakers - Hifi_swlon - 19-Feb-2016

(19-Feb-2016, 19:54)Womaz Wrote: I am now starting to think that you just get used to a speaker and then when you put another one in the system you get a bit of a shock.

I've actually come to the conclusion over the past year or so, that for me personally, what you say there is pretty much true of anything that alters the sound in my setup - there's an initial reaction where it seems too different, then you prefer it or not, but in any case you just get used to it, and it takes another big change to give the brain a reference point/comparison. That simplifies things a bit too much, but .....

Not that it helps you of course, but I find it interesting none the less! Wink

RE: New Speakers - samurai7595 - 20-Feb-2016

(19-Feb-2016, 19:54)Womaz Wrote: I am now starting to think that you just get used to a speaker and then when you put another one in the system you get a bit of a shock.

I sometimes wonder if the "burn in" factor that manufacturers and dealers talk about may just be the listener getting used to the sound of the new gear and not really the new gear "getting better over time"...

RE: New Speakers - Pim - 20-Feb-2016

(20-Feb-2016, 03:56)samurai7595 Wrote:

I sometimes wonder if the "burn in" factor that manufacturers and dealers talk about may just be the listener getting used to the sound of the new gear and not really the new gear "getting better over time"...

That's what a lot of people seem to think so you're not alone. It makes a lot of sense too. Think about food for instance. Your mother's cooking is the first food you eat. You get used to that. Then you grow up and go to friend's places and have to get used to their mother's food. As you travel through life, your senses adapt. 

There are loads of 'two week challenges' nowadays for cereals etc. It's the advertiser's way to get you used to a product. Two weeks seems to be the norm in advertising so it's safe to say that it takes two weeks for a person to get accustomed to their latest buy.

The only way to know for sure is to have an identical product new out of the box ready to compare after two weeks. But that's hardly ever done.

RE: New Speakers - tyefighter - 20-Feb-2016

(20-Feb-2016, 03:56)samurai7595 Wrote:

Rob Watts from Chord said the same thing when asked about the 'Burn in' time for his new portable dac the Mojo. He said something along the lines of, your brain takes about 10 hours to become accustomed to the new sound and is often mistaken as the electronics 'burning in' when in fact its your brain 'tuning in'

disclaimer. dont read this as me saying there is no such thing as burn in but simply to point out the brain 'burn in' phenomena Smile

RE: New Speakers - Womaz - 20-Feb-2016

Yes I have often wondered that myself.
I feel this will be a close call. The PMCs just get the bass so right and I have always believed you get the bass right and everything else falls into place........but the Olympicas are so sweet.
More listening for me

New Speakers - Nick - 20-Feb-2016

(20-Feb-2016, 10:54)Womaz Wrote: Yes I have often wondered that myself.
I feel this will be a close call. The PMCs just get the bass so right and I have always believed you get the bass right and everything else falls into place........but the Olympicas are so sweet.
More listening for me

My experience with transmission line speakers has been similar, they just seem to get bass right in even normally problematic rooms. Perhaps if the PMCs do prove, in the long run, to be slightly ascerbic then something like Acoustic Zen speakers might give you the proverbial best of both worlds. I once owned a pair of thier Adagio speakers, lovely sweet tweeter and bass to die from very pretty and compact speaker. The transmission line loaded bass of the Adagios was beautifully textured and controlled and never boomed in a room where most others managed to overload the room somewhat.

RE: New Speakers - Womaz - 20-Feb-2016

(20-Feb-2016, 16:59)Nick Wrote:
(20-Feb-2016, 10:54)Womaz Wrote: Yes I have often wondered that myself.
More listening for me

My experience with transmission line speakers has been similar, they just seem to get bass right in even normally problematic rooms. Perhaps if the PMCs do prove, in the long run, to be slightly ascerbic then something like Acoustic Zen speakers might give you the proverbial best of both worlds. I once owned a pair of thier Adagio speakers, lovely sweet tweeter and bass to die from very pretty and compact speaker. The transmission line loaded bass of the Adagios was beautifully textured and controlled and never boomed in a room where most others managed to overload the room somewhat.

Hi Nick, thanks for the reply. My speaker choice will be between these two as I have auditioned for long enough Big Grin

RE: New Speakers - Womaz - 21-Feb-2016

OK 5 days in and I can honestly say I am torn. Right now it's about 50/50 I think.
I love the bass on the PMCs and the clarity is exceptional...but the Olympicas do have a fantastic soundstage and full sound. Problem is on some music the bass can still overpower the room.
Set the bass to -5db now but not so sure what other effects that will have