Devialet Chat
New Speakers - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Speakers (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Speakers)
+--- Thread: New Speakers (/Thread-New-Speakers)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: New Speakers - alandbush - 21-Feb-2016

Are you still using your acoustic treatment to control the high frequencies?
Is it still placed behind your listening position?

Whichever, with the SFs sweeter treble, would it be useful to place some/all behind/around the SFs to control the bass?

RE: New Speakers - Womaz - 21-Feb-2016

(21-Feb-2016, 14:04)alandbush Wrote: Are you still using your acoustic treatment to control the high frequencies?
Is it still placed behind your listening position?

Whichever, with the SFs sweeter treble, would it be useful to place some/all behind/around the SFs to control the bass?

This would be considered but unfortunately I am restricted to where I can put the panels. They can't go anywhere else. I did think about taking them down when using the Olympicas but thought this would probably make the bass problems even worse. I say problems ...... It's not a huge issue but if the Olympicas had the bass of the PMCs then it would all be sorted Big Grin

New Speakers - Nick - 21-Feb-2016

(20-Feb-2016, 17:09)Womaz Wrote:
(20-Feb-2016, 16:59)Nick Wrote:
(20-Feb-2016, 10:54)Womaz Wrote: Yes I have often wondered that myself.
I feel this will be a close call. The PMCs just get the bass so right and I have always believed you get the bass right and everything else falls into place........but the Olympicas are so sweet.
More listening for me

My experience with transmission line speakers has been similar, they just seem to get bass right in even normally problematic rooms. Perhaps if the PMCs do prove, in the long run, to be slightly ascerbic then something like Acoustic Zen speakers might give you the proverbial best of both worlds. I once owned a pair of thier Adagio speakers, lovely sweet tweeter and bass to die from very pretty and compact speaker. The transmission line loaded bass of the Adagios was beautifully textured and controlled and never boomed in a room where most others managed to overload the room somewhat.

Hi Nick, thanks for the reply. My speaker choice will be between these two as I have auditioned for long enough Big Grin

No problem, I only put forward the idea as it seems like a lot of outlay to end up with a compromise of some sort.

RE: New Speakers - Womaz - 21-Feb-2016

(21-Feb-2016, 15:40)Nick Wrote:
(20-Feb-2016, 17:09)Womaz Wrote:
(20-Feb-2016, 16:59)Nick Wrote: My experience with transmission line speakers has been similar, they just seem to get bass right in even normally problematic rooms. Perhaps if the PMCs do prove, in the long run, to be slightly ascerbic then something like Acoustic Zen speakers might give you the proverbial best of both worlds. I once owned a pair of thier Adagio speakers, lovely sweet tweeter and bass to die from very pretty and compact speaker. The transmission line loaded bass of the Adagios was beautifully textured and controlled and never boomed in a room where most others managed to overload the room somewhat.

Hi Nick, thanks for the reply. My speaker choice will be between these two as I have auditioned for long enough  Big Grin

No problem, I only put forward the idea as it seems like a lot of outlay to end up with a compromise of some sort.

I actually agree with you, but once I buy I will be content. I tend not to change my gear much once I have them and at this price level, well the simple truth is I could not afford to Undecided

RE: New Speakers - thumb5 - 26-Feb-2016

All quiet on the northern front, Womaz - how's it going?

RE: New Speakers - Womaz - 27-Feb-2016

Nothing more to report as yet I am afraid as I have not even listenerd to any music since last Sunday as too much work on this week ..........will get a chance over the next week or so hopefully

RE: New Speakers - Womaz - 02-Mar-2016

Ok today I took delivery of my new Olympicas........a good feeling

For me they pipped the 26s , they are exceptional with vocals , giving a lovely full sound
The bass has much more authority' and weight although it is not as tight and controlled as the 26s IMO.
The Olympicas sweet treble makes the acoustic guitar a joy to listen to. Percussion is excellent too and has real slam.
The PMCs are excellent too ,but when I put the Olymoicas back in I realised it was the room filing sound that I missed the most. They do that so much better than the 26s.
When you listen you have no idea where the speakers are as the room seems to have music coming from every angle. The 26s in comparison seem boxy.

In the end I went for the speaker I enjoyed the most.

RE: New Speakers - Dr Tone - 03-Mar-2016

(02-Mar-2016, 23:57)Womaz Wrote: Ok today I took delivery of my new Olympicas........a good feeling

For me they pipped the 26s , they are exceptional with vocals , giving a lovely full sound
The bass has much more authority' and weight although it is not as tight and controlled as the 26s IMO.
The Olympicas sweet treble makes the acoustic guitar a joy to listen to. Percussion is excellent too and has real slam.
The PMCs are excellent too ,but when I put the Olymoicas back in I realised it was the room filing sound that I missed the most. They do that so much better than the 26s.
When you listen you have no idea where the speakers are as the room seems to have music coming from every angle. The 26s in comparison seem boxy.

In the end I went for the speaker I enjoyed the most.

Congrats!

RE: New Speakers - tyefighter - 03-Mar-2016

So happy for you Steve Big Grin
Loved reading your journey but in a weird way i feel a tiny bit saddened that we've come to the end
I totally agree you made the right choice, following your posts they just seem to have that magic something that you can tell puts a smile on your face not to mention pleasing your daughter with that base Wink LOL

Enjoy your new babies mate !!

RE: New Speakers - Damon - 03-Mar-2016

Whoo Hoo!
Congratulations on the new speakers. I think many of us have really enjoyed your journey; indeed I think many of us feel that we shared the journey with you. Your posts were a great contribution to the forum and community. I love that you went with 'the speaker you enjoyed the most'. I think that is really important. One can always dissect the sound of a component and compare and contrast segments of the sound, but going with the most enjoyable sound is key. And as always, it is 'that speaker, in your room, with your equipment and your ears', so it takes nothing away from any of the other speakers you, or anyone else, likes or owns.

Now play that funky music, white boy! (Wild Cherry)