Devialet Chat
New Speakers - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Speakers (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Speakers)
+--- Thread: New Speakers (/Thread-New-Speakers)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: New Speakers - Womaz - 09-Jan-2016

(09-Jan-2016, 11:32)Confused Wrote: And if all else fails, it might be worth seeing if you can get an audition of the KEF Reference 3's.  Mathew (in another thread) appears to be happy with his, they look the part too.

Funny you should mention this as I was thinking exactly that. That would be stretching my budget a little but we will see.
I think where I am at right now is the Olympicas do exactly what I wanted with the treble and brightness. They are smooth and sweet without compromising the detail.
They do lack a bit of punch compared to my 23s I think, but I could live with that. The bass however is a different issue. I don't think I could live with it. Would love to get it right with the Olympicas though as like k say they do almost everything else perfectly for me.

(09-Jan-2016, 11:34)Rodney Gold Wrote: Just use dirac or any parametric equaliser (j river/foobar etc all have them ) to attenuate the bass nodes.. if you cant move your listening seat to get out of the ones bothering you
Buy  a umik-1 ($70) and download REW (free) , measure , dont worry about dips , just peaks , and surgically flatten them with the parametric

Hi Rodney I know you are a big fan of using an equaliser but it's not for me. I wanted to take the PC out of my playback chain and it's not something I would entertain. Thanks for the post though

(09-Jan-2016, 11:26)MusicLover Wrote:
(09-Jan-2016, 10:41)Womaz Wrote: I will give it time of course as I have had my current speakers for 4 years and I am so used to them. I love so much about the Olympicas but to me getting the bass right is essential. If not it clouds everything else.
On certain music without a lot of bass they are tremendous and a massive step up from my PMCs, but it's no good if bass is not good on the rest of my music.
An example is Helllo by Adele. First minute it sounds great until the bass kicks in, then it just overpowers the room and I can actually feel myself vibrating :-)

I agree Womaz, you have to get the bass right. As you said before, it may be worth experimenting with the bass traps if speaker positioning is limited.

Irony is, a turning point in my system was some months ago when a friend came home to listen to it and found it light on the bass department!! It took about 15 cm to get them closer to the rear wall to realize that I was indeed missing something! At the time I was a bit obsessed with getting the image depth right and hence I was reluctant to get the speakers closer to the wall, sacrificing tonal balance on the way. End result was that depth stayed and at the same time the change brought in the much needed bass.

The system must be close to delivering its full potential as now I find it exciting every time I play something, like closer to having a private performance when listening to it.

Regarding your doubt about front ported speakers, my limited knowledge is that it's not that straightforward. There's definitely speaker designs made to work closer to the walls, maybe worth investigating which ones should you not get the bass right in the end with the Olympicas. Although I am sure that with a bit of experimentation with the bass traps you will get there! Smile

Once again thanks for the post. I experimented with the bass traps last night, and all it did was bring the brightness back into my room. I will keep trying with other positions though.
I love the sweet smooth sound of these speakers and yes I agree they can certainly rock and pick up the pace when you ask them too.

RE: New Speakers - Confused - 09-Jan-2016

Well I have heard both the KEF Reference 3's and the SF Olyimpica II's. I loved the bass from the SF's, but of the two I would say the KEFs have the more accurate bass, which perhaps corresponds to the "punch" you are looking for.

(09-Jan-2016, 11:34)Confused Wrote: A bit of 100% SAM'ed sub bass should wake her up surely?

Definitely but I bored her to death last night about my Hifi that I feel obliged to let her sleep :-)

(09-Jan-2016, 11:42)Confused Wrote: Well I have heard both the KEF Reference 3's and the SF Olyimpica II's.  I loved the bass from the SF's, but of the two I would say the KEFs have the more accurate bass, which perhaps corresponds to the "punch" you are looking for.

It's definitely something to bear in mind. I think I am keen to get the SFs to work as like I say there is so much I like about them and may not get in another speaker. You will probably recall my brightness issues. Well the SFs are excellent in this area. So smooth and sweet. I love that about them.
The overpowering bass has surprised me and I have read a couple of reviews that say they work near to a back wall, so has me a little perplexed, Of course al of our rooms are different .

I will do the Sam % experiment and even set it to 0%. I may even just try the simple thing of reducing the bass by a couple of notches

RE: New Speakers - Axel - 09-Jan-2016

(09-Jan-2016, 11:06)Womaz Wrote: This may seem a stupid question, but because I have to place my speakers very close to my back wall, will I need a front ported speaker?
Or is it just not that simple

I'm in the same position as you. I have to have my speakers fairly near the back wall, therefore I only auditioned speakers with front or bottom firing ports.  My Proacs have the downward firing port and the plinth then directs the bass frequencies out sideways. Have you tried the D30R or D40R? The ribbon tweeters on these are fantastic and IMO outperform traditional domes.
Good luck with your auditioning and subsequent purchase!

RE: New Speakers - samurai7595 - 09-Jan-2016

(04-Jan-2016, 14:50)Womaz Wrote: Getting a demo on Thursday of

SF Olympica 2
Scansonic MB6
Usher Mini Dancer 2

Out of the three speakers only the SFs are SAM ready.

How much should this influence my decision.

Other option is the PMC 26, but will have to demo this some other time

(09-Jan-2016, 12:34)Axel Wrote:
(09-Jan-2016, 11:06)Womaz Wrote: This may seem a stupid question, but because I have to place my speakers very close to my back wall, will I need a front ported speaker?
Or is it just not that simple

I'm in the same position as you. I have to have my speakers fairly near the back wall, therefore I only auditioned speakers with front or bottom firing ports.  My Proacs have the downward firing port and the plinth then directs the bass frequencies out sideways. Have you tried the D30R or D40R? The ribbon tweeters on these are fantastic and IMO outperform traditional domes.
Good luck with your auditioning and subsequent purchase!

+1 Big Grin

I did not ignore you guys honest :-)
I did have a read about the ProAcs and it made good reading, I just don't think they will suit my room. That's part of the problem I have to get the balance right with the looks too as this is all in my living room

A pic