Devialet Chat
Townshend Platforms - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Speakers (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Speakers)
+--- Thread: Townshend Platforms (/Thread-Townshend-Platforms)

Townshend Platforms - AaronG - 28-Apr-2016

Just ordered some Townshend platforms for my Grimm speakers. They have been a pleasure to deal with so far. Will report back!

RE: Townshend Platforms - IanG-UK - 28-Apr-2016

Aaron

Max Townshend is a real gentleman and very clever, either of his own volition or in sourcing capable people.

Guillaume and I heard his "all Townshend" set up at the HiFi News show in 2014 and thought is was best at the show, competing with Absolute Sounds and Kog and others.

RE: Townshend Platforms - AaronG - 28-Apr-2016

I'm glad to hear that. They really seem to know what they're doing.

I contacted them to order a platform and they volunteered to custom make one to the dimensions of the speaker for less than the "off the rack" platform. That's my kind of company.

(28-Apr-2016, 18:27)IanG-UK Wrote: Aaron

Max Townshend is a real gentleman and very clever, either of his own volition or in sourcing capable people.

Guillaume and I heard his "all Townshend" set up at the HiFi News show in 2014 and thought is was best at the show, competing with Absolute Sounds and Kog and others.

Townshend Platforms - ThiemJ - 28-Apr-2016

Since two weeks I have the Townshend podiums under my Harbeth Super HL5 Plus speakers. There is more air around instruments and room and floor induced bass has significantly reduced. A great upgrade!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RE: Townshend Platforms - AaronG - 02-May-2016

Glad to hear it Thiem!

RE: Townshend Platforms - pete86 - 29-Nov-2016

Hi Aaron,
Just curious how you ended up liking the platforms.

RE: Townshend Platforms - Hifi_swlon - 30-Nov-2016

Same here.

Do they offer an evaluation period?

RE: Townshend Platforms - pete86 - 30-Nov-2016

They do. Give them a call or shoot an email

RE: Townshend Platforms - AaronG - 30-Nov-2016

To my great surprise they were a total pain to deal with! Took my $ upfront for a pair of custom platforms (their suggestion). Promised several times they would be ready in a few days, and then no email responses for weeks. Really ridiculous.

When I finally got them they didn't quite fit the speakers. I contacted them and they said that it was fine if the speaker bases went beyond the platforms but when I tested their bass isolation it certainly was not as good as I had expected. I could hear bass in the basement when the speakers were on the stands on the first floor, which was not what I had had hoped.

I'm sure I could send them back to the UK and they would send me new ones. But I was so frustrated and fed up with the experience that I put them in the basement and haven't used them since. I've since sent the Grimms that I had them made for for updating. When I get the speakers back I will try again. Maybe I did something wrong in setting them up.

My guess is I had a unique experience and the experience of others will not be like this. But I was not happy.