Devialet Chat
AIR 3 Beta for Mac - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: AIR 3 Beta for Mac (/Thread-AIR-3-Beta-for-Mac)

AIR 3 Beta for Mac - hk6230 - 12-May-2016

Thanks GuiIlaume, I will get myself an old MacBook Air or Mini to be a RoonBridge/AIR 3.0 output.

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - baddog - 13-May-2016

To the poster who had flawless playback but had not tested DSD yet. Not sure if my comment is on this thread or a different one, but using RoonServer on my Mac Mini ( a rather powerful one ) with AIR 3.0 using ethernet for both the Mac Mini and the D400, once I got the AIR driver stable and not hanging, I got flawless redbook and 24/192 playback as well. DSD64 does playback, but at least myself and one other user get a steady stream of background hiss as well.

As Gary also noted, Devialet indicates they only support DSD64 with the USB and Digital inputs, not via AIR. So they do not state that it does not work, however it is not listed as a supported input. I can configure Roon to convert the DSD to PCM and that works

FWIW. However for now I am enjoying the microRendu in lieu of AIR.

BTW Gary before you get a Mac to use as RoonBridge for AIR, I recommend borrowing a Mac and try it first. My experiments with RoonBridge and AIR were, to say it mildly, less than successful.

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - Will03 - 13-May-2016

devialet doesnt support DSD128 which is quite common today.
i have sent email to devialet support but they replied that there are not much user request them. i suggest ppl send more email to push them fast work for DSD128.

AIR 3 Beta for Mac - hk6230 - 13-May-2016

(13-May-2016, 00:33)baddog Wrote: To the poster who had flawless playback but had not tested DSD yet. Not sure if my comment is on this thread or a different one, but using RoonServer on my Mac Mini ( a rather powerful one ) with AIR 3.0 using ethernet for both the Mac Mini and the D400, once I got the AIR driver stable and not hanging, I got flawless redbook and 24/192 playback as well. DSD64 does playback, but at least myself and one other user get a steady stream of background hiss as well.

As Gary also noted, Devialet indicates they only support DSD64 with the USB and Digital inputs, not via AIR. So they do not state that it does not work, however it is not listed as a supported input. I can configure Roon to convert the DSD to PCM and that works

FWIW. However for now I am enjoying the microRendu in lieu of AIR.

BTW Gary before you get a Mac to use as RoonBridge for AIR, I recommend borrowing a Mac and try it first. My experiments with RoonBridge and AIR were, to say it mildly, less than successful.

Good advice. Thanks.

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - colonel66 - 13-May-2016

Previously i had mixed experiences with Air 2. It would work perfectly for days and then I had problems for a while and then back to flawlessness, all with no changes to the system. It was very irritating and thankfully vinyl could be played when the irritation levels ran high

I tried out the AIR 3 beta last night, using iTunes to handle the library with the following:

mac mini (headless with latest OS) > Dirac (for a wee bit of room correction),  ethernet > devailet 800 > Vivid G1

It worked a treat on high res - played an entire album without a glitch

suffice to say a redbook album was also handled with aplomb

Now its confession time.

I lie in the bits is bits camp (more down to ignorance on matters digital). However my experiments with USB (due to AIR 2 frustrations), in my set up, it never sounded as good as AIR 2 Huh Huh so i persisted with AIR 2 over USB

So i hesitantly agree with Guillaume - AIR 3 sounds better (than AIR 2). This is based on aural memory with albums i know well. I have no inclination to load AIR 2 and do back to back tests.

Let me try and articulate, what was better. Flowery audio reviewer prose is not my strong suite:

- imaging (and i am not a big soundstage/imaging fan) was more holographic

- fine detail was better resolved (aka apparent lower noise floor) - e.g. in a live recording you could more easily
 hear the jazz club boundaries as the sound decayed 

- tonally there were subtle improvements (although i am less firm on this than the above) 

So there i said it  Tongue Tongue . Would i stake my life on it? No way!. But from an objective perspective i am reluctant to believe it - but i did experience it. So whether its true or not to me is not really the issue. I perceived it, i believed it and i had a magical musical experience, in which i got lost in the music.

So hopefully this continues over the weekend - i will report back if not.

If and when the final AIR3 is released i will first make a back up copy of AIR 3 beta (just in case they good folks at Devialet mess with the broth)

AIR 3 Beta for Mac - no32 - 13-May-2016

anyone tried hair 3 Mac and JRiver combo ?

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - Jwg1749 - 13-May-2016

(13-May-2016, 05:09)no32 Wrote: anyone tried hair 3 Mac and JRiver combo ?

Yes, it's working fine for me.

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - PhilP - 13-May-2016

(12-May-2016, 22:56)GuillaumeB Wrote: Hi Phil here's a snapshot of my system:

I don't really have a view re which model to use tbh, sorry. My MacBook Air seems to work well. 
On the other hand I don't really have any experience with AIR 2 so can't be sure that it will sound much better than what you already have. I suspect it will but I haven't tested this myself. 
Guillaume

@Guimllaume. Great, thanks.

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - Hifi_swlon - 13-May-2016

(12-May-2016, 22:22)eag Wrote: Hi Blair, here are my settings: Air target device buffer: 2000ms. Roon all default I think: Use core audio mixer, Resync delay 0 ms, Use exclusive mode disabled, PCM disabled, PCM disabled.

eag, I could be wrong but I don't think you'd want Core Audio mixer, but the AIR virtual device. I can't say for sure, but Roon issues are often because the macs default core audio output is used rather than the specific output device. As I say could be wrong, I haven't tried it, but the situation is the same with the Dirac virtual output which I'm currently using.

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - Pim - 13-May-2016

I just did a test between AIR and USB, taking 2.5dB off the volume using AIR to get an even output volume and couldn't detect any difference. So I decided to give up on the test and just enjoy some music. I'll be using AIR just to see if it gets me into the groove as well as USB does. I have to say this though. I normally don't get the best results with a cold amp and I've been out all day and have just turned it on.... maybe it's time for some heavy metal to get it warmed up Smile