Devialet Chat
AIR 3 Beta for Mac - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: AIR 3 Beta for Mac (/Thread-AIR-3-Beta-for-Mac)

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - mobaer - 15-May-2016

(15-May-2016, 07:02)agentsmith Wrote: Well Air seems to be playing nice with Roon, at least it is changing the sampling rate correctly now.

But DSD/DoP is no go, it plays white noise plus a trace of the music in the background.  So for now real time conversion to PCM will suffice.

Will keep monitoring and report if any issues.

Sounds very nice too

It does not work for me.
Which settings do you use in ROON and Air?
It would be very helpful, since my Mac mini freezes after a short period of playing!

Christian

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - Zappydev - 15-May-2016

(15-May-2016, 08:15)mobaer Wrote:
(15-May-2016, 07:02)agentsmith Wrote: Well Air seems to be playing nice with Roon, at least it is changing the sampling rate correctly now.

But DSD/DoP is no go, it plays white noise plus a trace of the music in the background.  So for now real time conversion to PCM will suffice.

Sounds very nice too

It does not work for me.
It would be very helpful, since my Mac mini freezes after a short period of playing!

Christian

http://devialetchat.com/announcements.php?aid=7

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - Jnan_devi - 15-May-2016

Got a shocker. After playing smoothly for last few days I observed couple of pauses on a 192kHz track. Did check wifi connection etc. Finally tried and tested route, increase Roon delay to 500ms and AIR delay to 1sec. All good once again.

Looks like we need delay in Roon for RoonServer/end point to Dev. This is independent to AIR delay. Looks like AIR delay is main bottle neck. So AIR delay should be greater than Roon delay.

<EDIT> Above settings Gave couple of pauses again. I reduced Roon delay back to 100msec and retain AIR delay at 1sec. Back to normal once again.

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - GuillaumeB - 15-May-2016

(15-May-2016, 07:37)patcam Wrote: [*]Air3 Itunes/Air3 Audivarna with only exclusif mode: Up to now, better with Itunes, the timbre , especially for the voices are more realistic . I think that Air 3 with Itunes is the best way to control the jitter. With Audivarna it is only a streaming by the virtual sound card as for other audio output.
[*]

I have been doing some initial testing comparing iTunes output to Audirvana +

I am playing Gregory Porter's Take Me To The Alley album. 

iTunes sounds great but there is something "missing" although I can't tell what it is. It's just a bit less exciting and urgent. Switch to A+ and wow! It's that holographic vocal again. The piano has more attack, bite. So is A+ just a bit more flashy? In my setup I prefer it. But for me it's Gregory Porter's voice that sounds a bit smoother and in the room. It's more musical?

Could I tell them apart reliably in a DBT, probably not. But I am enjoying A+ more anyway.  Smile

Guillaume

[*]EDIT: I have converted FLAC to Apple Lossless using XLD... these are showing up as .m4a files..... will convert to AIFF instead and report back!!!

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - SwissBear - 15-May-2016

Just a short comment about SQ (means apart from the glitches I reported earlier).

I used Audirvana in upsampling, exclusive and direct modes, integer mode set to 1.

SQ was, in my opinion, the very best my D900 had produced so far. Music was very airy, very natural, with a large separation between instruments, and the sound stage was very comparable to the sound stage I am getting from Trinnov Amethyst used as a home renderer. Which suggests that, as written by GuillaumeB, Devialet has been able to provide a very good and jitter free clock signal to the DAC which is very encouraging for future developments which are contemplated in other threads on this forum.

So this is a very positive development for me. I sincerely hope and trust Devialet will be able to reach the level of quality and reliability we have all been waiting for with this connection. And finally deliver the one box fits all solution we have purchased when buying this product.

(15-May-2016, 10:24)SwissBear Wrote: Just a short comment about SQ (means apart from the glitches I reported earlier).

I used Audirvana in upsampling, exclusive and direct modes, integer mode set to 1.

SQ was, in my opinion, the very best my D900 had produced so far. Music was very airy, very natural, with a large separation between instruments, and the sound stage was very comparable to the sound stage I am getting from Trinnov Amethyst used as a home renderer. Which suggests that, as written by GuillaumeB, Devialet has been able to provide a very good and jitter free clock signal to the DAC which is very encouraging for future developments which are contemplated in other threads on this forum.

So this is a very positive development for me. I sincerely hope and trust Devialet will be able to reach the level of quality and reliability we have all been waiting for with this connection. And finally deliver the one box fits all solution we have purchased when buying this product.

I left my system (D400/Roon with AIR3) running overnight, as a stability test. Before leaving my apartment, the last thing I did was set the volume to -70dB using the remote.

When I arrived back home, the system was still running, and Roon history showed it had been playing steadily throughout the night (Roon radio). This is very good news regarding the stability of AIR3 now. However, the music was loud, and the volume was now showing -12 dB. The property was completely empty, and no-one else shares my WiFi. Ghosts in the machine ? This is very spooky for me.

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - KraaijCheck - 15-May-2016

(15-May-2016, 11:06)Zappydev Wrote:
(15-May-2016, 10:24)SwissBear Wrote: Just a short comment about SQ (means apart from the glitches I reported earlier).

I left my system (D400/Roon with AIR3) running overnight, as a stability test. Before leaving my apartment, the last thing I did was set the volume to -70dB using the remote.

When I arrived back home, the system was still running, and Roon history showed it had been playing steadily throughout the night (Roon radio). This is very good news regarding the stability of AIR3 now. However, the music was loud, and the volume was now showing -12 dB. The property was completely empty, and no-one else shares my WiFi. Ghosts in the machine ? This is very spooky for me.

I had this before. Belief this has something to do with the volume settings in Roon. Don't choose "fixed volume" and "set max volume".
Now i have set is on "use device controls" and don't have this problem anymore.

(15-May-2016, 11:11)KraaijCheck Wrote:
(15-May-2016, 11:06)Zappydev Wrote:

I had this before. Belief this has something to do with the volume settings in Roon. Don't choose "fixed volume" and "set max volume".
Now i have set is on "use device controls" and don't have this problem anymore.

Thank You !

I wa using "Fixed Volume" and just relying on the Dev remote.

I just changed the Roon setting to 'Use Device Controls" and was thrilled to see that the volume display in Roon now changes with the Dev remote. The only minor niggle is that Roon shows 0-100 whereas Dev uses dB . . . .

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - agentsmith - 15-May-2016

Sounds very nice too

It does not work for me.

Christian
Nothing Special, just the same what others already posted

In AIR, Target Device Buffer: 1,000 ms

In Roon:

Resync Delay: 0.1S

Playback: (Everything checked)

Use Exclusive
Use Integer mode  
Use Max Hardware Buffer Size
Use Power of 2 Hardware Buffer Size

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - mobaer - 15-May-2016

(15-May-2016, 11:42)agentsmith Wrote:

Sounds very nice too

It does not work for me.

Christian
Nothing Special, just the same what others already posted

In AIR, Target Device Buffer: 1,000 ms

In Roon:

Resync Delay: 0.1S

Playback: (Everything checked)

Use Exclusive
Use Integer mode  
Use Max Hardware Buffer Size
Use Power of 2 Hardware Buffer Size

Thank you!
I'm quite busy at the moment, so I just check the posts here sporadically.
It seems to work with these parameters. Sounds great! Even a little better than USB -> Mutec -> AES/EBU -> Devialet