Devialet Chat
AIR 3 Beta for Mac - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: AIR 3 Beta for Mac (/Thread-AIR-3-Beta-for-Mac)

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - Fla7a - 15-May-2016

(15-May-2016, 17:01)beerman Wrote:
(14-May-2016, 13:55)Fla7a Wrote: Since there are some Melco users here, can someone (maybe Rufus?) compare the SQ of AIR3 vs. Melco N1A (via USB)?

Thanks and best regards,

Franz

Very close. It is hard to tell a difference.
Both ways are very satisfying.
Pro Melco: a little better dynamic replay and a little bit more colourful replay of voices.
But I am a Melco owner so I could be not 100 percent neutral. Angel

Tested with an iMac (build 2011, 2,7 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB Ram), El Capitan 10.11.4, files are stored on a Western Digital McBook connected with Standard USB cable (!), Roon, AIR 3.0 beta WiFi, D200.

Melco is connected with an Aqvox USB cable to D200.

Files were identical Aiff on WD McBook and Melco, ripped with db poweramp.
I used two very audiophile recordings: Patricia Barber, Café Blue, Ode to Billy Joe and Dee Dee Bridgewater, Live At Yoshi's, Slowboat to China.

It's really impressive that they came so close to the Melco.
Comparing AIR2 with the Melco, the N1A sounded definitely clearer and more natural than AIR2, so there was no second thought on using AIR.

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - GuillaumeB - 15-May-2016

I must admit I wasn't ever expecting AIR 3 too sound this good! If you think about it I have every reason to not want it to be: already proud owner of d1 server from totaldac, just purchased sonicTransporter to ROONify my setup etc.

I'm now spending more and more time enjoying Qobuz desktop, for the simple reason that I've never enjoyed it as much as I am now... and I've been a streaming member for a year or so. It's uncanny quite how good it sounds now. 

So to me there is no question; something fairly dramatic has happened with the way AIR 3 works. I would never have imagined myself going down this path. 

Could there be something going on between the Od'A and AIR 3? I can't discount this but then I'm hearing anecdotal reports from many many others on both sides of the Channel. From 200 owners, 800 etc. The descriptions I'm reading tally up with my experiences. 

Better imaging/soundstaging and more musical. Close your eyes and it's like nothing I've heard before from online streaming.

Guillaume

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - f1eng - 15-May-2016

AIR 3.0 doesn't switch sample rate any more. When I play a 96/24 file with Air 3.0 it plays as 44/16 if I don't manually change the sample rate to 96/24 in Audio Midi setup, then if I play a 44/16 next it upsamples it to 96/24 unless, yet again, I manually correct it.
AIR 2.1 works as it should with the file being recognised and played at its correct sample rate.

I have an iMac dedicated to music which I have loaded with AIR 3 beta, and a Macbook pro which still has AIR 2.1.3 on it. I have a few of the same files on both.

On comparison I think I prefer the SQ using AIR 3, it seems deeper and cleaner whilst just as clear. Having to remember to change sample rate is just another nail in the coffin of streaming for me though.
I also own Amarra, Audirvana, Pure Music, Pure Vinyl and several others so I will try them if I can be bothered with the faff of setting them up to not interfere with each other, and if I can remember which pref files need removing to do so Smile.
Still finding CD and LP more convenient for classical music.

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - Zappydev - 15-May-2016

(15-May-2016, 18:57)f1eng Wrote: AIR 3.0 doesn't switch sample rate any more. When I play a 96/24 file with Air 3.0 it plays as 44/16 if I don't manually change the sample rate to 96/24 in Audio Midi setup, then if I play a 44/16 next it upsamples it to 96/24 unless, yet again, I manually correct it.
AIR 2.1 works as it should with the file being recognised and played at its correct sample rate.

I have an iMac dedicated to music which I have loaded with AIR 3 beta, and a Macbook pro which still has AIR 2.1.3 on it. I have a few of the same files on both.

On comparison I think I prefer the SQ using AIR 3, it seems deeper and cleaner whilst just as clear. Having to remember to change sample rate is just another nail in the coffin of streaming for me though.
I also own Amarra, Audirvana, Pure Music, Pure Vinyl and several others so I will try them if I can be bothered with the faff of setting them up to not interfere with each other, and if I can remember which pref files need removing to do so Smile.
Still finding CD and LP more convenient for classical music.

I guess it depends on the source? I am using Roon with a variety of formats, and (according to the display on the D400) the correct stream is being sent & received - no manual switching. This is also confirmed by the Roon purple dot.

Having finally figured out how to set up AIR 3 with Roon, I have been delighted with the results, and have now clocked up >24 hours without any crash or glitch, so I am starting to believe that we have a great solution now !

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - blair.athol - 15-May-2016

(14-May-2016, 11:53)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(14-May-2016, 11:46)Petter Wrote: same as i used after reading myself up on  post here

Exclusive Mode
Integer Mode
Max HW Buffer Size
Power-of-2 HW Buffer

Only use ,1000mS AIR delay, and 0.1s Roon Resync delay.

OK great I've created a sticky so hopefully others can try this too.

Guillaume

This really works perfectly finally with Roon as well, thank you so much !
I enjoy pure great sound with wide soundstage plus the excellent control of Roon.
Air 3 is a big step forward although I was believing in Air always as you know.

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - muski - 16-May-2016

Air 3 doesn't really work for me. My 2.4GHz wifi signal just isn't powerful enough to stream high-res files without dropout. Shame that Devialet doesn't have 5GHz 802.11ac support. And no DSD DoP makes it a non-starter...

So it's back to my Raspberry Pi 2 solution. The Roon Labs RAAT software, an 802.11ac Edimax wifi dongle and a Hifiberry Digi+ card modded to connect a 5v Linear PSU makes for an ideal Devialet streamer.

All for about $100, or ~1/300th of the price of a D800...

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - baddog - 16-May-2016

(15-May-2016, 13:41)mdconnelly Wrote:
(15-May-2016, 04:35)baddog Wrote: @mdconnelly - Ok so I have been using AIR3 non stop for many hours now. The sound is wonderful. I have done some comparisons with the microRendu. To be honest, I am not hearing much if any in differences in sound between the two. I have gone back and forth between difference tracks comparing the two, even picking out things that don't sound right on AIR3 and comparing them to microRendu, where they also don't sound right. After this many hours my ears are "tired" so going to take a break for a while.

Just so you understand what I am comparing.

1. RoonServer running on Synology 1812+ NAS in a separate room connected via ethernet to cheap switch / microRendu connected via ethernet to cheap switch ( btw cheap does not mean it isn't a good gigabit switch ) / Devialet 400

microRendu powered by Uptone Audio JS-2
Music on the Synology NAS or Tidal

2. RoonServer running on 2012 Mac Mini (16GB memory, i7 quad core, SSD drive, Uptone Audio MMK kit, powered by Uptone Audio JS-2) connected via ethernet to cheap switch / microRendu connected via ethernet to cheap switch / Devialet 400

microRendu powered by Uptone Audio JS-2

3. RoonServer running on 2012 Mac Mini (16GB memory, i7 quad core, SSD drive, Uptone Audio MMK kit, powered by Uptone Audio JS-2) connected via ethernet to cheap switch / Devialet 400 connected via ethernet to cheap switch

So those are the things I have compared. Music sounds great with any of the three systems. As noted when using AIR3 I am converting DSD to PCM. I have listened to Redbook, 24/96, 24/192 and DSD64/DSD128 tracks.

I am not discerning any advantage on the part of the microRendu in my setup compared to AIR3. Other than as mentioned more configuration options and capability to send DSD64 to D400 without conversion first to PCM.

Next update tomorrow, need to go rest my ears.

Thank you for that!   There have been many times where I've tried one thing or another over the years trying to hear if it improved SQ.   Tends to drive me nuts. 

But your findings are great news for Expert owners.  For me, the uRendu has set the bar on sound quality.  It is clearly an improvement over AIR2 and even moreso over streaming to a SB Touch to the Devialet.   Now it's just a matter of getting the Win 10 version of AIR 3 (or actually, for a formal release of AIR 3 regardless of platform).

Ok, I am back and have put my actions to align with my words ( walk the talk). I have sold the microRendu. I am throwing in my fortune with AIR3. And that is not because I could not afford the microRendu, not because I did not enjoy the sound quality it added, nor because I did not enjoy that I could send DSD64 to my D400 via Roon something I cannot do with AIR3.

I sold it because I find the sound quality from AIR3 to be comparable, because I too hate doing all these A/B tests, and to my ears they were close enough that I am happy to simplify my rig. I could happily live with either. I believe the DSD64 issue will be be redressed over time, for now I am fine with Roon converted my DSD to PCM. I suspect we might see some nice things from Roon and Devialet. 

So that is where I ended up. Funny how this works. I tried AIR for so long and gave up. I waited for the microRendu for a long time too. And then within a window of 10 days, the whole world changes and both become available. Well there are worse things in life. First world problems as they say.

So take this as my endorsement of AIR3. Good job Devialet.

Truth in advertising, probably once every three hours I may get a <1 second drop out during playback.

Cheers!

So this means I am now running the following:

Synology NAS with all my music
Mac Mini running RoonServer and AIR3
D400

All connected via ethernet, and every one of those items in a different room in my house!

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - Jnan_devi - 16-May-2016

(16-May-2016, 04:31)baddog Wrote: Truth in advertising, probably once every three hours I may get a <1 second drop out during playback.

Very nice @baddog. Happy that you are enjoying. I had similar experience. AIR3 convenience is simply awesome. Not to mention cool Roon.

Did you try increase delay in AIR3? A 1 sec delay would not hurt our playback, skip etc. After initial euphoria i reduced AIR3 delay to 500msec but then i observed very short pause. Then I had to increase the delay back to 1sec in AIR3. You may dont want to change Roon Delay if its working fine already. I m not sure what is causing this short drop Roon/AIR. Because iTunes worked fine without drop (but tried for only an hour). Anways maintaining AIR delay greater than Roon seem to be working.

Once again Good to hear AIR is working for you nicely and it after-all coming out as a Winner! ( I m hesitant to write this but -> "Air is true winner for now" )

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - johnsap - 16-May-2016

(15-May-2016, 18:52)GuillaumeB Wrote: I must admit I wasn't ever expecting AIR 3 too sound this good! If you think about it I have every reason to not want it to be: already proud owner of d1 server from totaldac, just purchased sonicTransporter to ROONify my setup etc.
How about using SONICTRANSPORTER for RoonServer and connect it to Devialet using Ethernet cable for AIR?
Does it allow to do it?
Thank you

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - baddog - 16-May-2016

Hello @Jnan_devi - Yes I still need to tune my settings. But the occasionally glitch is so occasional I have not yet felt the need to remedy it once and for all. Tomorrow I will try a little tuning of the AIR/Roon settings per your guidance.

Currently I have a Target Device Buffer of 500 ms in AIR3

A Resync delay of 0.1s in Roon