Devialet Chat
AIR 3 Beta for Mac - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: AIR 3 Beta for Mac (/Thread-AIR-3-Beta-for-Mac)

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - Duomike - 22-May-2016

(22-May-2016, 11:42)BrianT Wrote:
(22-May-2016, 10:12)Duomikei Wrote: dont use the upsampler cause the dev sounds better receiving native signals, unlike my previous amp

Duomikei

Can you tell me what you mean by the upsampler in Audirvana 

Thanks Brian
brian, in the audirvana settings there are various upsampling options. suggest you disable them!

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - BrianT - 22-May-2016

(22-May-2016, 12:25)Duomike Wrote: brian, in the audirvana settings there are various upsampling options. suggest you disable them!

Duomike

Found them.

Audirvana Preferences/ Audio Filters Tab

They where already turned off.

Brian

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - baddog - 22-May-2016

(22-May-2016, 10:37)Olivier4444 Wrote: Hello
Now that AIR 3 proves to be more stable, would you recommend the "Mac mini > ETHERNET > D200" set up over "Mac mini > USB > D200" ?
Today I just connect the Mac mini to D200 with an audio quest Carbon USB - works fine but i wondered if AIR (Ethernet/Wifi) is better
Sorry but I'm totally lost with all these set ups ...
Thanks !

After having used a Mac Mini connected via USB to my D400 for quite some time, as well as using a Mac Mini connected via USB with a Regen to the D400, I can state that to my ears, using AIR3 and an ethernet connection to the D400 is an improvement in sound quality compared to USB.

In fact when compared in my system to using a microRendu connected via USB to the D400, I found AIR3 comparable in sound quality. 

That being said, everyone's ears and systems are different, so feel free to experiment. And all these various hardware/software configurations have different trade offs that may or may not be important to an individual.

For example, while I can send DSD64 via DoP to my D400 using the Mac Mini connected via USB, when using AIR3 I need to have DSD64 converted to PCM first. 

Of benefit to me, at least aesthetically, is the fact that I now have nothing in my listening room except for the D400, a power conditioner and speakers. Everything else ( Mac Mini, Synology NAS ) are now in different parts of the house.

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - Wdw - 22-May-2016

(22-May-2016, 17:21)baddog Wrote:
Now that AIR 3 proves to be more stable, would you recommend the "Mac mini > ETHERNET > D200" set up over "Mac mini > USB > D200" ?
Today I just connect the Mac mini to D200 with an audio quest Carbon USB - works fine but i wondered if AIR (Ethernet/Wifi) is better
Thanks !

After having used a Mac Mini connected via USB to my D400 for quite some time, as well as using a Mac Mini connected via USB with a Regen to the D400, I can state that to my ears, using AIR3 and an ethernet connection to the D400 is an improvement in sound quality compared to USB.

In fact when compared in my system to using a microRendu connected via USB to the D400, I found AIR3 comparable in sound quality. 

That being said, everyone's ears and systems are different, so feel free to experiment. And all these various hardware/software configurations have different trade offs that may or may not be important to an individual.

For example, while I can send DSD64 via DoP to my D400 using the Mac Mini connected via USB, when using AIR3 I need to have DSD64 converted to PCM first. 

Of benefit to me, at least aesthetically, is the fact that I now have nothing in my listening room except for the D400, a power conditioner and speakers. Everything else ( Mac Mini, Synology NAS ) are now in different parts of the house.
Baddog,
I agree with your accessment....my Aries has been decommissioned but still working out the details with my network and Audirvana, etc...a bit rusty after moving to the Aries a year and a bit ago.  

Is your ethernet hard wired throughout or do you use access points with various Airport devices? 

I am streamng wih Air3 from a remote Macbook and Synology attached to my Airport base station using an Airport Express as an access point to the D400...ethernet from the Express tomthe D.

(22-May-2016, 17:43)Wdw Wrote:
(22-May-2016, 17:21)baddog Wrote:
Thanks !

Baddog,
I agree with your accessment....my Aries has been decommissioned but still working out the details with my network and Audirvana, etc...a bit rusty after moving to the Aries a year and a bit ago.  

Is your ethernet hard wired throughout or do you use access points with various Airport devices? 

I am streamng wih Air3 from a remote Macbook and Synology attached to my Airport base station using an Airport Express as an access point to the D400...ethernet from the Express tomthe D.

Hi! I now have ethernet available through most rooms in my house.

So the Synology NAS is connected via ethernet to my cheap $20 switch. The Mac Mini and the D400 are also connected via ethernet to the same switch. That switch lives one floor below in a structured wiring panel. So, for each device there is about 30-50 foot run of ethernet.

Your setup should work well too, I assume you are just using the Airport Express to provide an ethernet connection to you network and not to also extend your wireless network?

BTW, I also retired an Aries a while back, but part of that was due to a switch to Roon, and the Aries not being RoonReady at the time. Regardless I am very pleased with the current setup.

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - Wdw - 22-May-2016

(22-May-2016, 17:59)baddog pid= Wrote:
(22-May-2016, 17:43)Wdw Wrote:
(22-May-2016, 17:21)baddog Wrote: After having used a Mac Mini connected via USB to my D400 for quite some time, as well as using a Mac Mini connected via USB with a Regen to the D400, I can state that to my ears, using AIR3 and an ethernet connection to the D400 is an improvement in sound quality compared to USB.

Baddog,

Hi! I now have ethernet available through most rooms in my house.

So the Synology NAS is connected via ethernet to my cheap $20 switch. The Mac Mini and the D400 are also connected via ethernet to the same switch. That switch lives one floor below in a structured wiring panel. So, for each device there is about 30-50 foot run of ethernet.

Your setup should work well too, I assume you are just using the Airport Express to provide an ethernet connection to you network and not to also extend your wireless network?

BTW, I also retired an Aries a while back, but part of that was due to a switch to Roon, and the Aries not being RoonReady at the time. Regardless I am very pleased with the current setup.
Baddog, thanks for your reply then poses an additional question.   Can the express access the wireless network merely as an ethernet access point and not "extend" it?  
Does the D400 accept gigabyte ethernet?
Many thanks,
Warren

Warren - 

Yes the Airport Express can be setup to access the wireless network merely as an ethernet access point and not extend it. This is known as client mode.

See instructions for setup here. This is the optimal way to configure it as it will not reduce your overall WIFI network bandwidth ( as extending a wireless network will ). Do check that your Airport Express supports client mode. The first Airport Express (802.11g only) which did not support 802.11n did not.

Sadly, the Devialets are not gigabit ethernet, they are 10/100, so older technology.

Gigabit is 1000mbps (megabits per second) Ethernet, which is 10x faster than 100mbps Ethernet, which is 10x faster than 10mbps Ethernet. 

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - Wdw - 23-May-2016

(22-May-2016, 20:43)baddog Wrote: Warren - 

Yes the Airport Express can be setup to access the wireless network merely as an ethernet access point and not extend it. This is known as client mode.

See instructions for setup here. This is the optimal way to configure it as it will not reduce your overall WIFI network bandwidth ( as extending a wireless network will ). Do check that your Airport Express supports client mode. The first Airport Express (802.11g only) which did not support 802.11n did not.

Sadly, the Devialets are not gigabit ethernet, they are 10/100, so older technology.

Gigabit is 1000mbps (megabits per second) Ethernet, which is 10x faster than 100mbps Ethernet, which is 10x faster than 10mbps Ethernet. 

You're the best, thanks and happy listening. wdw

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - Duomike - 23-May-2016

Thanks !

olivier, compared usb and eth connection today. in my system to my ears it was a close call. the eth sounded a tiny bit less digital if you will. highs were a bit smoother.
I have to say that and I'm using a very high end usb cable with a jitterbug and the eth cable is just a midfi aq cinnamon. for
a fair comparison one would have to use same cable in both formats from same manufacturer.
also the eth cable I got from a friend who had no use for it who, strangely, does not remember whether he ever used it. it may be new and need a long burn in.

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - hk6230 - 23-May-2016

Today, I encountered a few times of cracking sounds while using AIR3.0b. It could be that the AIR delay was set too small (500ms). In any case, I have stopped using AIR3.0b until a final version is released. Back to my Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/Fidelizer7.2/JPlay6.2 setup. I will keep watching this thread to keep abreast of AIR3.0.

Good luck and enjoy your music, guys.