Devialet Chat
AIR 3 Beta for Mac - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: AIR 3 Beta for Mac (/Thread-AIR-3-Beta-for-Mac)

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - nduchatel - 27-May-2016

I tried two configs with AIR3

NAS <rj45> Airport Extreme <rj45> switch <rj45> Devialet 200
+ Macbook pro retina 2012 (i7 16Go Ram) running Air3 and Roon

Very stable, no drop out, no cracklings. I can play every "formats" from 16/44 to DSD64 converted to PCM

NAS <rj45> Airport Extreme <rj45> switch <rj45> Airport Express <dedicated wifi 2.4Ghz> Devialet 200
+ Macbook pro retina 2012 (i7 16Go Ram) running Air3 and Roon

Sounds better than ethernet, more "air" and better lows, but only 16/44 can be played without problem. Some little dropouts or cracklings appears on other files

The sound difference makes me whant to try ethernet isolator like a Giso or an Etalon Isolator between the switch and the dev.

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - Jnan_devi - 27-May-2016

(27-May-2016, 07:47)hk6230 Wrote: @Jnan, you are indeed lucky or hardware is powerful enough for AIR3. I can't play 24/192 materials well on mine.

I did not specifically checked 24/192 on AIR3_WIFI, however AIR3_ETH works! (Remember checking it earlier)

Will double check today and update.

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - Hifi_swlon - 27-May-2016

(27-May-2016, 05:46)Jnan_devi Wrote: My Lucky days i guess but some how felt this is better than my ETH performance (Tiny pauses on ETH (happens once or twice in couple of hours). ....

Couldn't help but notice this - pauses on ethernet every couple of hours? Is this a new thing, I thought it was rock-solid for you previously Jnan?

I've seen the odd other post about occasional dropouts over ethernet (wired) ranging from hours to days - I wonder if this is just the original problem just reduced rather than being completely fixed?

Personally I couldn't live with that - I'd only sell the rendu and move to AIR if it were shown to be absolutely reliable in a range of systems and with all formats. My Raspbery Pi2 has yet to miss a beat - even on high-res when the network is running grouped zones- I'm not sure how to break it other than pull out the cable. Why should Devialet owners using perfectly suitable (over-specced in fact) computers for the streaming have to settle for anything less?

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - Jnan_devi - 27-May-2016

@Hifi_swlon Yes I did notice a very short pauses. Happened about few days ago. I read my post again, "happens " should have been happened. That's when I increased delay from  0.5sec to 1sec to 2sec. No issues since then.

Coming back to AIR3_WIFI playing 24/192 - plays perfectly. Played about 5 tracks, not a single issue. All downloads from B&W music society. Devialet also displays 192.

<edit> I have packed my AQ jitter bug and cable for a rainy day. Smile

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - Zappydev - 27-May-2016

(27-May-2016, 13:51)Jnan_devi Wrote: @Hifi_swlon Yes I did notice a very short pauses. Happened about few days ago. I read my post again, "happens " should have been happened. That's when I increased delay from  0.5sec to 1sec to 2sec. No issues since then.

Coming back to AIR3_WIFI playing 24/192 - plays perfectly. Played about 5 tracks, not a single issue. All downloads from B&W music society. Devialet also displays 192.

<edit> I have packed my AQ jitter bug and cable for a rainy day.  Smile

Sadly, my initial euphoria is wearing off. It seems that AIR3 is not completely bulletproof, and I am getting too many instances of short pauses, and Dalek stuttering every now and then. I though it was limited to WiFi, but actually, it is no better with a wired connection, and happens on all formats. I just switched it over to a new quad-core iMac with 32GB, and it makes no difference. I suppose I could blame Dirac, but as @Hifi_swlon commented a while ago, once you get used to it, there is no going back. I didn't order a uRendu, but if I had one, I wouldn't be in a rush to sell it just yet.

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - Music or sound - 27-May-2016

Did anyone try the adhoc option (direct wifi from expert to Mac without router, cable etc.)

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - Hifi_swlon - 27-May-2016

(27-May-2016, 19:02)Zappydev Wrote: .....I suppose I could blame Dirac, but as @Hifi_swlon commented a while ago, once you get used to it, there is no going back. I didn't order a uRendu, but if I had one, I wouldn't be in a rush to sell it just yet.

Well, the thing is we're screwed the other way round there because there's no obvious way to use Dirac, Roon, and the uRendu together, and I'm having real withdrawal symptoms as you'd expect. Sad

Roons support of AU plugins couldn't come soon enough (and I think it's a fair way off still)

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - PhilP - 27-May-2016

(27-May-2016, 19:02)LZappydev Wrote:
(27-May-2016, 13:51)Jnan_devi Wrote: @Hifi_swlon Yes I did notice a very short pauses. Happened about few days ago. I read my post again, "happens " should have been happened. That's when I increased delay from  0.5sec to 1sec to 2sec. No issues since then.

Sadly, my initial euphoria is wearing off. It seems that AIR3 is not completely bulletproof, and I am getting too many instances of short pauses, and Dalek stuttering every now and then. I though it was limited to WiFi, but actually, it is no better with a wired connection, and happens on all formats. I just switched it over to a new quad-core iMac with 32GB, and it makes no difference. I suppose I could blame Dirac, but as @Hifi_swlon commented a while ago, once you get used to it, there is no going back. I didn't order a uRendu, but if I had one, I wouldn't be in a rush to sell it just yet.

I wonder if it's other software running on the Mac that interferes occasionally with AIR? I usually only run iTunes or Qobuz Desktop and AIR3 on my MacBook whilst listening to music (though I do occasionally use Safari) and have screen saver turned off so there's really nothing else running that could cause a problem.

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - deviousalet - 28-May-2016

(17-May-2016, 12:47)Confused Wrote: Having seen comments re Amarra on another thread, I was having a quick look at their website, and quite by coincidence spotted this:

iTunes 12.4 Update Issues:
After updating to iTunes 12.4, users have experienced no sound output when using Amarra Hifi, Amarra or Amarra Symphony with iTunes.  Please note that Amarra Playlist mode works fine.
We have verified this issue
- We recommend not updating to iTunes 12.4 at this time
- If you already have updated to iTunes 12.4, we expect to have a fix in place for Amarra and Amarra Symphony shortly.
- We are investigating a fix for Amarra Hifi and hope to have more information shortly.
We are very sorry for any inconvenience and we appreciate your continued support.

Thanks for pointing out the problem.

Amarra is now updated to 3.0.4 for compatibility with iTunes 12.4. You need to go to the knowledge base article as the Amarra update function isn't working.
https://kb.teamsupport.com/knowledgebase.aspx?organizationid=10256&ArticleID=9252392&TicketType=Ticket

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - Zappydev - 28-May-2016

(27-May-2016, 19:58)PhilP Wrote:
(27-May-2016, 19:02)LZappydev Wrote:

I wonder if it's other software running on the Mac that interferes occasionally with AIR? I usually only run iTunes or Qobuz Desktop and AIR3 on my MacBook whilst listening to music (though I do occasionally use Safari) and have screen saver turned off so there's really nothing else running that could cause a problem.

It's hard to say. Apart from DLRCS there is no other application running on the Mac, but of course there are any number of internal processes going on all the time. At least AIR3 doesn't keep blowing up the whole system and forcing a reboot, but it is still a long way from what I would expect from a 'high end' product.

EDIT: After a bit more fiddling, it seems that without DLRCS in the chain, the problems go away. So, this suggests that something in the sequence RoonBridge > DLRCS >AIR3b is not entirely happy. I have minimal experience with Dirac (just on a 30-day trial for now) so if anyone with more Dirac experience has anything to add which may help, then fire away.