Devialet Chat
AIR 3 Beta for Mac - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: AIR 3 Beta for Mac (/Thread-AIR-3-Beta-for-Mac)

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - Zappydev - 05-Jun-2016

(05-Jun-2016, 10:06)Zerzio Wrote: I've installed the AIR3 Beta on my Mac Mini using Roon (Ethernet to the D200). In Roon I've tried multiple settings (integer mode, exclusive mode). The Mac Mini is remotely controlled from a MacBook Pro. The music plays during 1'50'' (from Tidal account) and then suddenly stops and I loose the connection to the Mini. It's like AIR3 screwed something at network level.

Hi - have you also selected Max Hardware Buffers and Power-of-2 Buffers? These are a must for AIR to work.

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - Jnan_devi - 05-Jun-2016

(05-Jun-2016, 11:01)Zappydev Wrote: have you also selected Max Hardware Buffers and Power-of-2 Buffers

Yes These are done on my Roon settings too. However I m not sure if this is for AIR3. I had it enabled even before AIR3 was available. i m guessing these Roon settings are to ensure the hardware (my case MacBook-Air) where Roon is installed is available max for Roon. Will it help AIR3?, one can quickly try this disabled and see if AIR3 continues to work. [I will try it out (scared), but will give it a shot]

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - Jnan_devi - 06-Jun-2016

Tried the following settings on Roon for AIR3-ETH streaming.
Mode-1                                              
Max Hardware        -DISABLED            
Power-of-2 Buffers  -DISABLED              

Mode-2
Max Hardware        -ENABLED
Power-of-2 Buffers  -ENABLED

In Mode-1, within 1st track, half way through, Roon remote lost its connection with RoonServer. When i checked on Roon status on MacBook it was switching between "Error"- "Not-Responding" and "Started" ... it was annoying to see it was switching between these status. I had to re-start MacBook. Tried above once again and the flow was repeated ending with MacBook restart. Tried one last time (4th attempt) with same flow of events ending with macbook restart.

After 4th restart, first thing I did was to set Roon in Mode-2.
Did not find any issues streaming hires (24/192) or from Tidal. All worked smoothly Wink !

My take on this issue is not related to AIR3. It is Roon that needs un-disturbed resources.

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - tategoi - 06-Jun-2016

Does this mean that when running in Mode-1 the use of the computer where the core resides will be severely impacted, as most of the resources are taken away to run Roon?

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - hk6230 - 06-Jun-2016

After many attempts, I have finally gave up. AIR3 on my Mac Mini A1283 (late 2009) simply can't play high-res music well. I just use it for CD-quality materials including Tidal music.

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - Jnan_devi - 06-Jun-2016

(06-Jun-2016, 06:39)tategoi Wrote: Does this mean that when running in Mode-1 the use of the computer where the core resides will be severely impacted, as most of the resources are taken away to run Roon?

Experts can answer better but my understanding is this is due to Old gen Processor to New generation Processor. I think new generation of microprocessor based headless/laptop will not have this issue or dont need to enable the max usage etc.

However if we are going in for dedicated usage to stream music using a Old/ latest 6th generation NUC/Mac ( run RoonServer or whatever), whats to loose if we operate in mode-2 Smile ? I m just saying.

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - Dr Tone - 10-Jun-2016

Being a glutton for punishment I installed Roonbridge and AIR 3 on my iMac.  Converting DSD to pcm.

I'm using link aggregation on it and it's the top of line current gen iMac loaded up and my only Mac running 24/7.

Had been away for 4 weeks seeding this years crops.  Listening to my system again after the sabbatical I found it a bit thin, bright and uninvolving.  SOTM USB->Transparent USB Cable->Roon

AIR fixed that right up!  Please let it be stable with my overkill machine.

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - baddog - 11-Jun-2016

Dr Tone - I am curious - where are you using link aggregation? Your NAS?

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - Dr Tone - 11-Jun-2016

(11-Jun-2016, 01:58)baddog Wrote: Dr Tone - I am curious - where are you using link aggregation? Your NAS?

Hyper-V host, NAS and iMac.

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - baddog - 11-Jun-2016

Ah, got it. I was going to using Link aggregation on my NAS until I found out it makes no difference for single client performance.  

My specific being scenario being the Mac Mini running RoonServer communicating with the NAS which has my music files. No other systems in the household accessing the NAS concurrently ( or let us say, a rare event ). I understand the value in homes where there are multiple clients accessing the NAS.