Devialet Chat
AIR 3 Beta for Mac - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: AIR 3 Beta for Mac (/Thread-AIR-3-Beta-for-Mac)

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - Dr Tone - 11-Jun-2016

(11-Jun-2016, 02:15)baddog Wrote: Ah, got it. I was going to using Link aggregation on my NAS until I found out it makes no difference for single client performance.  

My specific being scenario being the Mac Mini running RoonServer communicating with the NAS which has my music files. No other systems in the household accessing the NAS concurrently ( or let us say, a rare event ). I understand the value in homes where there are multiple clients accessing the NAS.

I needed it on my hyper-v machine as my music is stored on iscsi luns on the nas.  I get full gb speed when copy to my music shares on the virtual machine this way.  Did the NAS as I often copy bluray rips direct to it and got tired of that affecting my movie/tv/music streaming.  Did the imac just because i could.

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - baddog - 11-Jun-2016

(11-Jun-2016, 02:45)Dr Tone Wrote:
(11-Jun-2016, 02:15)baddog Wrote: Ah, got it. I was going to using Link aggregation on my NAS until I found out it makes no difference for single client performance.  

My specific being scenario being the Mac Mini running RoonServer communicating with the NAS which has my music files. No other systems in the household accessing the NAS concurrently ( or let us say, a rare event ). I understand the value in homes where there are multiple clients accessing the NAS.

I needed it on my hyper-v machine as my music is stored on iscsi luns on the nas.  I get full gb speed when copy to my music shares on the virtual machine this way.  Did the NAS as I often copy bluray rips direct to it and got tired of that affecting my movie/tv/music streaming.  Did the imac just because i could.

Ah, a man who knows his ISCSI LUNS. Well than you are well served. I may have to explore this again. Assume you are using a switch as well, which one if I may ask?

Farming and LUNS, quite a combination, call me impressed!

Netgear Prosafe 108T I do believe. Cheap and reliable.

Thanks, appreciate the recommendation. I started with a very inexpensive DLINK, this will make a nice, yet inexpensive upgrade.

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - Rufus McDufus - 11-Jun-2016

I used to run port trunking/link aggregation on my Qnap NAS to the switch (I run a 24-port managed switch).  I ran some tests a year or two ago though and found without it sounded a bit better with just a single network connection between NAS and switch. This is when I started to realise the network could have an effect on sound quality.  I realise you probably didn't want to hear this, Dr Tone!  It is only a single case though and your setup looks to be different. Who knows, maybe it sounds better in your case?

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - tategoi - 11-Jun-2016

@Dr Tone, may I ask what is running your Roon core?

@baddog, with the Mac Mini is headless running RoonServer and AIR3, what do you use as control?

(11-Jun-2016, 05:34)Rufus McDufus Wrote: I used to run port trunking/link aggregation on my Qnap NAS to the switch (I run a 24-port managed switch).  I ran some tests a year or two ago though and found without it sounded a bit better with just a single network connection between NAS and switch. This is when I started to realise the network could have an effect on sound quality.  I realise you probably didn't want to hear this, Dr Tone!  It is only a single case though and your setup looks to be different. Who knows, maybe it sounds better in your case?

Makes absolutely no difference in my environment.

(11-Jun-2016, 09:39)tategoi Wrote: @Dr Tone, may I ask what is running your Roon core?

@baddog, with the Mac Mini is headless running RoonServer and AIR3, what do you use as control?

On a Windows Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V virtual machine that has the iSCSI Luns mounted.

(11-Jun-2016, 09:39)tategoi Wrote: @Dr Tone, may I ask what is running your Roon core?

I use Roon running either on a Macbook, iPad Mini or my iPhone to control playback of music via Roon with the headless Mac Mini.

If I misunderstood you question, I also have screen sharing enabled on the headless Mac Mini, so that I can make changes to it when required without having to attach a monitor or keyboard.

RE: AIR 3 Beta for Mac - midi - 11-Jun-2016

AIR 3  Beta worked fine for many weeks. Yesterday I showed my friend my D120 and tried a demo with AIR 3 and high-res files. I started the demo and I had crackles after a few seconds...embarrassing