Devialet Chat
AIR 3 Sound Quality Observations - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: AIR 3 Sound Quality Observations (/Thread-AIR-3-Sound-Quality-Observations)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: AIR 3 Sound Quality Observations - Antoine - 18-May-2016

I'll believe it all when I've heard it myself. Smile All I know now: drop outs are NOT acceptable for a device I paid more than €13k for, when my network is not at fault.

RE: AIR 3 Sound Quality Observations - PhilP - 18-May-2016

Well, I put my money where Guillaume's mouth is (I mean this in a nice way - it's sort of an English saying ;Wink  and bought a MacBook, installed AIR 3 and.....  He's absolutely right - AIR 3 provides a significant improvement in SQ over AIR 2 with a more open, detailed and airy sound. I must say that most recordings streamed from Qobuz sound superb and if it wasn't for the few that sound poor and those missing from their catalogue then I wouldn't feel a need for local storage.

RE: AIR 3 Sound Quality Observations - Rufus McDufus - 18-May-2016

AIR 3 is a tiny bit better than my Melco N1A, which so far has been the best I've heard in my system. This annoys me slightly but then I'm currently using the Melco in between my Devialet and rest of LAN and using AIR 3 on my MacBook on the LAN and it's sounding pretty darn good.

If only we could get AIR onto streamers like Melco. I wish Devialet could release the source code for AIR so streamer makers could port it to their own devices. Yes it's proprietary code, but I don't see what Devialet have to lose by opening it up.

RE: AIR 3 Sound Quality Observations - GuillaumeB - 18-May-2016

(18-May-2016, 18:08)PhilP Wrote: Well, I put my money where Guillaume's mouth is (I mean this in a nice way - it's sort of an English saying ;Wink  and bought a MacBook, installed AIR 3 and.....  He's absolutely right - AIR 3 provides a significant improvement in SQ over AIR 2 with a more open, detailed and airy sound. I must say that most recordings streamed from Qobuz sound superb and if it wasn't for the few that sound poor and those missing from their catalogue then I wouldn't feel a need for local storage.

I almost feel the same way Phil.... Qobuz desktop is superb. 

Guillaume

RE: AIR 3 Sound Quality Observations - PhilP - 18-May-2016

(18-May-2016, 19:46)PGuillaumeB Wrote:
(18-May-2016, 18:08)PhilP Wrote: Well, I put my money where Guillaume's mouth is (I mean this in a nice way - it's sort of an English saying ;Wink  and bought a MacBook, installed AIR 3 and.....  He's absolutely right - AIR 3 provides a significant improvement in SQ over AIR 2 with a more open, detailed and airy sound. I must say that most recordings streamed from Qobuz sound superb and if it wasn't for the few that sound poor and those missing from their catalogue then I wouldn't feel a need for local storage.

Guillaume

The guys at Qobuz really seem to love music and put real thought and effort into everything they do. The transition to Amazon cloud went very smoothly, the desktop works pretty well in terms of usability and the SQ is excellent.  I just hope they manage to increase their subscriber base to a level that becomes economically viable for the long term.

RE: AIR 3 Sound Quality Observations - Hifi_swlon - 18-May-2016

(18-May-2016, 19:27)Rufus McDufus Wrote: AIR 3 is a tiny bit better than my Melco N1A, which so far has been the best I've heard in my system. This annoys me slightly but then I'm currently using the Melco in between my Devialet and rest of LAN and using AIR 3 on my MacBook on the LAN and it's sounding pretty darn good.

If only we could get AIR onto streamers like Melco. I wish Devialet could release the source code for AIR so streamer makers could port it to their own devices.  Yes it's proprietary code, but I don't see what Devialet have to lose by opening it up.

I can only imagine, as of a few weeks ago anyway, few manufacturers would have wanted AIR on their hardware. Streaming errors and odd noises don't do them any favours..... But if they've nailed it now (and I'm not 100% sure they have yet) then why not.

Having followed Roons RoonReady program, it seems like it's a hell of a lot of work to get it done right so would need a decent commitment from Devialet and the manufacturers and I'm not sure how big the Devialet user base is?

RE: AIR 3 Sound Quality Observations - Hifi_swlon - 18-May-2016

(18-May-2016, 19:46)GuillaumeB Wrote:

Guillaume

Me too. I really wish they'd work with Roon.

RE: AIR 3 Sound Quality Observations - baddog - 19-May-2016

I sure they will be working with Roon at some point.

RE: AIR 3 Sound Quality Observations - Rufus McDufus - 19-May-2016

As if by magic a new Melco firmware has appeared (v3) which apparently has some SQ improvements , though I don't know what yet. It is sounding very good indeed. There's nothing in it between AIR 3 and Melco.
I notice some new settings too, particularly in the USB-DAC section. Hmm.

RE: AIR 3 Sound Quality Observations - Hifi_swlon - 19-May-2016

(19-May-2016, 09:01)Rufus McDufus Wrote: As if by magic a new Melco firmware has appeared (v3)  which apparently has some SQ improvements , though I don't know what yet. It is sounding very good indeed. There's nothing in it between AIR 3 and Melco.

May 2016. A good month for streaming.... Smile