Devialet Chat
AIR 3 Sound Quality Observations - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: AIR 3 Sound Quality Observations (/Thread-AIR-3-Sound-Quality-Observations)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: AIR 3 Sound Quality Observations - PhilP - 31-May-2016

I have been using FW 8.1.0 since last summer and am very happy with the excellent SQ that I'm now getting with AIR 3. I had some free time to experiment so I tried upgrading to the latest FW 9 but disappointingly found it too bright in my system. There's a slight treble emphasis that adds a touch of sibilance to female voices and also increases the level of background 'hiss' apparent on some recordings.

I have now gone back to 8.1.0 and am very happy again Wink

RE: AIR 3 Sound Quality Observations - johnsap - 31-May-2016

I would much appreciate your feedback on Air via Wife via Air via Ethernet comparison.

Thank you !

RE: AIR 3 Sound Quality Observations - Silvertouran - 31-May-2016

(31-May-2016, 15:37)johnsap Wrote: I would much appreciate your feedback on Air via Wife via Air via Ethernet comparison.

Thank you !

Wife?  I think you meant wifi.  Tongue

(31-May-2016, 15:37)johnsap Wrote: I would much appreciate your feedback on Air via Wife via Air via Ethernet comparison.

Thank you !

I'm running AIR3 on a MacBook Pro and don't currently have an ethernet adaptor so i can't comment at the moment  Undecided

Until two weeks ago I ran AIR2 on an iMac and always preferred to run Wi-Fi between my router and the Devialet. It didn't seem to matter much whether I ran wi-fi or cable between the iMac and the router but for some reason when I ran a cable (ordinary Cat 6) from the router to the Devialet the sound had a slight edge to it. I assumed the cable was picking up some noise and tried adding a ferrite choke but it didn't make any difference.

RE: AIR 3 Sound Quality Observations - Cylob - 31-May-2016

(31-May-2016, 14:24)PhilP Wrote: I have been using FW 8.1.0 since last summer and am very happy with the excellent SQ that I'm now getting with AIR 3. I had some free time to experiment so I tried upgrading to the latest FW 9 but disappointingly found it too bright in my system. There's a slight treble emphasis that adds a touch of sibilance to female voices and also increases the level of background 'hiss' apparent on some recordings.

Did you ever try 7.1.3?
You might love it as many of us do/did.
Not a hint of harshness in the highs and very warm & musical mids.

RE: AIR 3 Sound Quality Observations - Hifi_swlon - 31-May-2016

(31-May-2016, 14:24)PhilP Wrote: I have been using FW 8.1.0 since last summer and am very happy with the excellent SQ that I'm now getting with AIR 3. I had some free time to experiment so I tried upgrading to the latest FW 9 but disappointingly found it too bright in my system. There's a slight treble emphasis that adds a touch of sibilance to female voices and also increases the level of background 'hiss' apparent on some recordings.

A bit OT I know but your post reminded me I always thought the same about anything above 7.1. I left mine on 9 because I couldn't be bothered to keep changing it, but this has prompted me to try 7.1 again as I often think my system is a touch bright at the best of times, and I've been thinking that a lot this past week - maybe with the better source its highlighted this more....

(31-May-2016, 18:15)Cylob Wrote:

Did you ever try 7.1.3?
You might love it as many of us do/did.
Not a hint of harshness in the highs and very warm & musical mids.

Yes I did try 7.1.3 and I agree that it's very good!  The reason I use 8.1 is that my speakers are SAM 8 and above only and I really like what SAM does - particularly the bass extension. I didn't like 8.1.2 or 8.1.3 finding both too bright which is why I'm on 8.1.0

However, now that AIR 3 is so good I think I should go back and try 7.1.3 again.  Who knows it might be so good that the benefits outweigh those of SAM Big Grin

RE: AIR 3 Sound Quality Observations - Cylob - 31-May-2016

@PhilP

Ah SAM is a good reason to not go back futher then 8.x.x yeah.
But like you said: AIR 3 is magic. Tested it last week at a friends place who uses 7.1.3 as well.
We were both amazed at the quality improvement from AIR 2 vs AIR 3.
Let us know if you do test 7.1.3 / AIR3. Curious to see if you like it as well.
I'm still praying every night for a Win AIR 3 release... ;-)

(31-May-2016, 18:32)Hifi_swlon Wrote:

A bit OT I know but your post reminded me I always thought the same about anything above 7.1.  I left mine on 9 because I couldn't be bothered to keep changing it, but this has prompted me to try 7.1 again as I often think my system is a touch bright at the best of times, and I've been thinking that a lot this past week - maybe with the better source its highlighted this more....

I pretty much agree. It's quite tricky deciding whether to move to new FW because the impact on SQ can actually be quite significant and if your system is already well-balanced then it can certainly tip it the wrong way.

RE: AIR 3 Sound Quality Observations - sam1000 - 19-Jul-2016

Is there a way to get older firmware.. i.e. 7.1.3?
I'm new to Devialet and upgraded the firmware to 9.1 as soon as I got the unit few days ago. I did upgrade to AIR3 and it's fantastic with 9.1 compared to Squeezebox touch with EDO as a transport. I was looking to get Aurender N100H, but not sure how much improvement would I get compared to AIR3. Looks like consensus here it to use 7.1.3 with AIR3