Devialet Chat
Upgrade program kick-off - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet News (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-News)
+--- Thread: Upgrade program kick-off (/Thread-Upgrade-program-kick-off)

RE: Upgrade program kick-off - Hifi_swlon - 13-Nov-2016

A bit OT I know, but what happens when people who've modded their Devialet's send them for upgrades?
Do they ask the Devialet engineers to swap the mods over to the new machine for them?

RE: Upgrade program kick-off - mdconnelly - 14-Nov-2016

(13-Nov-2016, 22:30)Hifi_swlon Wrote: A bit OT I know, but what happens when people who've modded their Devialet's send them for upgrades?
Do they ask the Devialet engineers to swap the mods over to the new machine for them?

Good question... makes me wonder what Devialet is doing with all the old innards of the Experts being upgraded.   Tossing into the bin?  Can any of it be reused?   Such a shame if not ... there are millions of people all over this planet today listening to cheap little bluetooth boxes as their only means of music.   Tongue

RE: Upgrade program kick-off - yabaVR - 14-Nov-2016

(13-Nov-2016, 21:16)cc1 Wrote: Couple of quick pics - the base and backplate look really great

Hi cc1,

looking at your new PRO I can give you a hint for a quick and cheap SQ improvement trick. 

If you use bananas for your speaker cables connecting to your PRO you can turn of the clamps of the binding posts. Just turn it loose until there is a resistance. Then turn it further on loose but with a slight pull.

You can use them any time later if you need them for spades though. It does no damage to the binding posts.
There is just a small ring of gold plated steel falling off that was meant to hold back the clamp on the binding post.

The sound improves by a large margin w/o these clamps (even better when these binding posts are exchanged, but that's not for a new PRO owner for sure  Big Grin ) because you get rid of a great mass of nickel/gold plated brass that generates eddy currents to the signal.

gui

RE: Upgrade program kick-off - Confused - 14-Nov-2016

(14-Nov-2016, 01:43)mdconnelly Wrote:
(13-Nov-2016, 22:30)Hifi_swlon Wrote: A bit OT I know, but what happens when people who've modded their Devialet's send them for upgrades?

Good question... makes me wonder what Devialet is doing with all the old innards of the Experts being upgraded.   Tossing into the bin?  Can any of it be reused?   Such a shame if not ... there are millions of people all over this planet today listening to cheap little bluetooth boxes as their only means of music.   Tongue

I cannot answer Hifi_swlon's question, but at the 1000 Pro launch event I did ask the question 'what is happening to the old electronics removed as part of the upgrade scheme, are they being thrown into a giant skip behind a factory in France somewhere'?  (these may not have been my exact words, but I do specifically recall using the words 'giant skip' Shy ).  The answer was that that Devialet do actually have a plan to re-use the old boards in 'Pro Audio' applications, although no specific details were offered.  So it looks like the upgrade scheme is a bit like a part exchange scheme, where the upgrader is offering some value back to Devialet in the form of the old electronics.

http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=3145&pid=44874&highlight=skip#pid44874

RE: Upgrade program kick-off - cc1 - 14-Nov-2016

(14-Nov-2016, 08:58)yabaVR Wrote:
(13-Nov-2016, 21:16)cc1 Wrote: Couple of quick pics - the base and backplate look really great

Hi cc1,

looking at your new PRO I can give you a hint for a quick and cheap SQ improvement trick. 

If you use bananas for your speaker cables connecting to your PRO you can turn of the clamps of the binding posts. Just turn it loose until there is a resistance. Then turn it further on loose but with a slight pull.

You can use them any time later if you need them for spades though. It does no damage to the binding posts.
There is just a small ring of gold plated steel falling off that was meant to hold back the clamp on the binding post.

The sound improves by a large margin w/o these clamps (even better when these binding posts are exchanged, but that's not for a new PRO owner for sure  Big Grin ) because you get rid of a great mass of nickel/gold plated brass that generates eddy currents to the signal.

gui

Hi Gui

Thanks for the tip - I do use bananas so will have a look at that. Hehe....no certainly not ready for modifying the binding posts just yet!  Smile 
Cheers
Nick

Upgrade program kick-off - Xander - 14-Nov-2016

Just received my UPS shipment code, looks like the package back is 14kg while the shipment to Devialet was 28kg... do the ship back in 2 packages or is it a mistake on the label (or do they send only the master back )

RE: Upgrade program kick-off - sam1000 - 14-Nov-2016

Thx Baddog for your help. I did receive the shipping label today along with the copies of the invoice. I'll drop it off tomorrow at UPS center.

RE: Upgrade program kick-off - baddog - 14-Nov-2016

@sam1000

Glad to hear you got the labels and documents. UPS should be able to give you a clear outer pouch to put the three copies of the Commercial Invoice and three copies of the Shippers Export Declaration in.

Oh, and this should not happen to you, but in case it does, I received a call from UPS about 4 hours after dropping off that it was being held because the paperwork was missing one item. I had to provide them my SS# in order for them to properly process the package and send it along its way. So just thought I would let you know in case you received such a call. (It did not have an EIN # so they determined substituting my SS# would work).

Best of luck!

RE: Upgrade program kick-off - sam1000 - 14-Nov-2016

Quick question about invoice and export declaration document.
Do these documents go in an envelop which is then attached to the outer box? or should they be visible from outside just like shipping label?

The directions from the upgrade email, says the following.
Place UPS label, 3 copies of the invoice and the shipper's export declaration on the cardboard box
You will find your UPS label, the invoice and the shipper's export declaration attached to this email which should be attached to the cardboard box.

RE: Upgrade program kick-off - baddog - 14-Nov-2016

They go on the outer box just like the shipping label. UPS can give you what a basically a clear envelope packet. It attaches to the outside of the box, and you put all 6 copies in the sleeve of the clear envelope packet. It remains unsealed so it can be inspected by UPS, by Customs and then upon Import into France.