Devialet Chat
QNAP With Roon - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Streaming (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Streaming)
+--- Thread: QNAP With Roon (/Thread-QNAP-With-Roon)

Pages: 1 2

QNAP With Roon - jjmouse - 13-Oct-2016

Hi all,

Anyone experienced to use NAS as Roon core, connect USB to devialet ? Yesterday i have installed Roon for NAS on my QNAP 453A. It works like a charm, im currently waiting my 250Pro to arrive. As first time user of devialet, any comments are welcome.

RE: QNAP With Roon - baconbrain - 14-Oct-2016

(13-Oct-2016, 04:12)jjmouse Wrote: Hi all,

Anyone experienced to use NAS as Roon core, connect USB to devialet ? Yesterday i have installed Roon for NAS on my QNAP 453A. It works like a charm, im currently waiting my 250Pro to arrive. As first time user of devialet, any comments are welcome.

I also have Roon Core running on my QNAP 471 but am streaming to a Microrendu NAA. Personally prefer this setup as it keeps the noisy (& electrically dirty) NAS out of my listening area. I am also not certain if the QNAP will properly recognize the Dev from a driver perspective when connecting directly via USB.

RE: QNAP With Roon - iamwappie - 14-Oct-2016

(14-Oct-2016, 10:21)baconbrain Wrote:
(13-Oct-2016, 04:12)jjmouse Wrote: Hi all,

I also have Roon Core running on my QNAP 471 but am streaming to a Microrendu NAA. Personally prefer this setup as it keeps the noisy (& electrically dirty) NAS out of my listening area. I am also not certain if the QNAP will properly recognize the Dev from a driver perspective when connecting directly via USB.

I've installed Roon on a Synology but came to the conclusion that there is no AIR driver for a NAS and hence it made no sense and revered back to a laptop. Don't know if USB will work without the driver.

RE: QNAP With Roon - Antoine - 14-Oct-2016

Devialet is using the nowadays almost de facto standard XMOS USB implementation which has wide support so should work with almost any Linux distribution that supports USB audio.

RE: QNAP With Roon - octaviars - 14-Oct-2016

Synology NAS works directly with USB to my D400 when I tried.

RE: QNAP With Roon - jjmouse - 16-Oct-2016

My 250 pro is arrived, it works very well to use Roon on qnap and connect devialet thru USB

RE: QNAP With Roon - saxguy - 16-Oct-2016

Not to hijack the thread, but when the internal streamer is available in 2017, will it be possible to use only the NAS with the Devialet connected via Ethernet?

RE: QNAP With Roon - Hifi_swlon - 16-Oct-2016

(16-Oct-2016, 19:02)saxguy Wrote: Not to hijack the thread, but when the internal streamer is available in 2017, will it be possible to use only the NAS with the Devialet connected via Ethernet?

That's the million dollar question. No one knows, but we can hope. Devialet are at least aware of Roon and they have spoken, so unless it's technically impossible (unlikely) then it could/should happen. But that doesn't mean it will.

It would also mean you could control the Devialet volume via Roon, and group it with other RAAT/RoonReady zones.

(And of course never have to think about AIR again while still utilising the Ethernet input)

If you haven't already I'd suggest you email Devialet and note on their Facebook if you use it, that you want it to be RoonReady.

RE: QNAP With Roon - jjmouse - 17-Oct-2016

In the past two days i have used the QNAP 453A(roon) USB to Devialet and used my iphone as controller. It works completely well and without and issues.

RE: QNAP With Roon - Antoine - 17-Oct-2016

(16-Oct-2016, 19:02)saxguy Wrote: Not to hijack the thread, but when the internal streamer is available in 2017, will it be possible to use only the NAS with the Devialet connected via Ethernet?

The only supported functionality/protocol Devialet has mentioned thus far is uPNP. This will allow one to stream files from a uPnP server, like Minimserver which can also be installed on any NAS of course, over ethernet to the Devialet.

Personally I'm not a fan of uPnP. It's a protocol with a great deal of technical overhead and quality and user experience is very much dependant on the skills of the developer(s).