Devialet Chat
Comparing a 220 Pro to a 200 - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet Reviews (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Reviews)
+--- Thread: Comparing a 220 Pro to a 200 (/Thread-Comparing-a-220-Pro-to-a-200)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Comparing a 220 Pro to a 200 - mdconnelly - 21-Oct-2016

I've now had my new 220 Pro for nearly a week and if it's not yet fully broken in, it's at least sounding damn good.  Here are a few of my observations with a direct comparison to my 200 (that I'll either sell or upgrade - still on the fence about that).  

Note, comparisons were done running 10.0.5 firmware on both the 200 and 220 Pro. My equipment is noted in the footer.

-- Appearance wise, the 220 Pro is identical to the 200 except that the front button on my 200 is black while it's silver on the 220 Pro. 

-- The 220 Pro definitely runs a few degrees cooler and it's noticeable to the touch.

-- There is no volume difference that I could tell (based on using a db meter on my iPhone).  

-- After listening to a lot of different music and going back and forth between 200 and 220 Pro, I'd have to say that the most noted improvements are in increased clarity, definition, openness and ease of presentation.  My initial reaction was that the 200 seemed fuller at times (noted more on female vocals), but after much more listening, I found that I could hear further into the soundstage of the 220 with more detail, separation and delicacy than with the 200. 

-- The bass depth and slam of the 220 seems quite improved. It's not that there's more bass, it's just more authoritative - defined, integrated, and where bass goes deep, felt.  Perhaps that is equally the result of everything else being layed out with more clarify and finesse.  Whatever it is, it works well.

-- The soundstage feels "bigger", more immersive and distinctly more relaxed. I always thought that one of the strengths of the 200 was the soundstage and the 220 Pro just takes it up a notch.  Sure, there's 10% more power, but this goes beyond just that I think.

One interesting note ... I've heard comments that the Pro sounds better than the 200 at low volumes and that may be true (haven't really gotten around to playing at low volume much ;-), but I find it particularly true at higher volumes. The 220 Pro can just go louder without listener fatigue (well, other than by my wife when I'm still listening after she's gone to bed ;-)

What I'm describing may sound like substantial differences, but by no means are they night and day.  These are subtle but quite noticeable improvements upon direct comparison (I got pretty good with switching between the 200 and 220 Pro quickly and did so many times). Had I simply upgraded my 200 by sending it in (i.e. without either for weeks), I know I'd never be able to articulate the improvements of the 220 Pro over the 200. As such, I'm so glad I had the opportunity to buy a 220 Pro outright to compare.  It's here to stay!

Now, what to do with that 200... ?

RE: Comparing a 220 Pro to a 200 - brit - 21-Oct-2016

(21-Oct-2016, 20:54)mdconnelly Wrote: I've now had my new 220 Pro for nearly a week and if it's not yet fully broken in, it's at least sounding damn good.  Here are a few of my observations with a direct comparison to my 200 (that I'll either sell or upgrade - still on the fence about that).  

Note, comparisons were done running 10.0.5 firmware on both the 200 and 220 Pro.  My equipment is noted in the footer.

-- Appearance wise, the 220 Pro is identical to the 200 except that the front button on my 200 is black while it's silver on the 220 Pro. 

-- The 220 Pro definitely runs a few degrees cooler and it's noticeable to the touch.

-- There is no volume difference that I could tell (based on using a db meter on my iPhone).  

-- After listening to a lot of different music and going back and forth between 200 and 220 Pro, I'd have to say that the most noted improvements are in increased clarity, definition, openness and ease of presentation.  My initial reaction was that the 200 seemed fuller at times (noted more on female vocals), but after much more listening, I found that I could hear further into the soundstage of the 220 with more detail, separation and delicacy than with the 200. 

-- The bass depth and slam of the 220 seems quite improved. It's not that there's more bass, it's just more authoritative - defined, integrated, and where bass goes deep, felt.  Perhaps that is equally the result of everything else being layed out with more clarify and finesse.  Whatever it is, it works well.

-- The soundstage feels "bigger", more immersive and distinctly more relaxed. I always thought that one of the strengths of the 200 was the soundstage and the 220 Pro just takes it up a notch.  Sure, there's 10% more power, but this goes beyond just that I think.

One interesting note ... I've heard comments that the Pro sounds better than the 200 at low volumes and that may be true (haven't really gotten around to playing at low volume much ;-), but I find it particularly true at higher volumes. The 220 Pro can just go louder without listener fatigue (well, other than by my wife when I'm still listening after she's gone to bed ;-)

What I'm describing may sound like substantial differences, but by no means are they night and day.  These are subtle but quite noticeable improvements upon direct comparison (I got pretty good with switching between the 200 and 220 Pro quickly and did so many times). Had I simply upgraded my 200 by sending it in (i.e. without either for weeks), I know I'd never be able to articulate the improvements of the 220 Pro over the 200. As such, I'm so glad I had the opportunity to buy a 220 Pro outright to compare.  It's here to stay!

Now, what to do with that 200... ?

Now, what to do with that 200... ? Maybe upgrade and make a D440 pro Wink.

David

RE: Comparing a 220 Pro to a 200 - mdconnelly - 21-Oct-2016

(21-Oct-2016, 21:02)brit Wrote: Now, what to do with that 200... ? Maybe upgrade and make a D440 pro Wink.

David

Yep, have to admit I'm thinking about it.   My intent was to sell the 200 as soon as I had to chance to compare them.   But now I'm looking in the couch cushions for lost change just trying to rationalize moving to a 440 Pro.

RE: Comparing a 220 Pro to a 200 - brit - 21-Oct-2016

(21-Oct-2016, 21:11)mdconnelly Wrote:
(21-Oct-2016, 21:02)brit Wrote: Now, what to do with that 200... ? Maybe upgrade and make a D440 pro Wink.

David

Yep, have to admit I'm thinking about it.   My intent was to sell the 200 as soon as I had to chance to compare them.   But now I'm looking in the couch cushions for lost change just trying to rationalize moving to a 440 Pro.

I started with the D400 and was more than happy with it. I have not heard the D440 Pro, but from what I have read (and from your own experience with D200 Vs D220 pro) the difference in SQ and musical presentation should be worth searching every "nook & cranny" to seek out every last penny (or cent in your case!) to upgrade your D200 Tongue.  The advantage of having two D220Pros is that you could always sell one of them as a full Master if required.

I have since moved on to a D800, and am currently awaiting delivery of a D1000 Pro, which I did managed to demo against the D800 
and found it to be a wonderful amp - not that the D800 wasn't, but the D1000 Pro was that much more relaxing to listen to. I think that your observation that "the most noted improvements are in increased clarity, definition, openness and ease of presentation" just about sums up my feeling about the D1000 Pro vs D800. 

David

RE: Comparing a 220 Pro to a 200 - Damon - 21-Oct-2016

Thanks mdonnelly,
Your comments and impressions are interesting as I think you are getting to the sonic differences of the new design and components rather than a difference based on the power increase. I'm assuming that 200 watts to 220 watts would not be audible. For anyone comparing a 120 to a 220, I would expect that it would be difficult to separate out SQ improvements that are a function of 100 extra watts.

RE: Comparing a 220 Pro to a 200 - baddog - 22-Oct-2016

+1 - Thank you so much for taking the time to post your impressions. It is much appreciated. Now if only my labels and boxes would arrive.

p.s. I too think a garage sale and bake sale are in order, such that you can upgrade the 200... Angel

Comparing a 220 Pro to a 200 - samsoum - 22-Oct-2016

Congrats for the upgrade mdconnely!eventough i received the coupon for the upgrade, i still think about whats the best route ,220 or go 400???? And in the mean time am going to upgrade my venere2.5 !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Comparing a 220 Pro to a 200 - mdconnelly - 22-Oct-2016

(22-Oct-2016, 17:35)samsoum Wrote: Congrats for the upgrade mdconnely!eventough i received the coupon for the upgrade, i still think about whats the best route ,220 or go 400???? And in the mean time am going to upgrade my venere2.5 !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was struggling with the same decision, but after having had time with the 220 Pro, I'm thoroughly convinced that it's a significant improvement in the technology.  Now, a 440 Pro ... that's what has me thinking.

RE: Comparing a 220 Pro to a 200 - Cycles2 - 23-Oct-2016

I'm hearing Devialet is working on an Ethernet board. I'm guessing it may be to support the AES67 AoIP protocol. Does anyone have any info on this and which Devi's will support it?

RE: Comparing a 220 Pro to a 200 - Antoine - 23-Oct-2016

Read the other news threads. It's off topic here but to give a short answer; No one knows yet what the new Devialet OS/streamer board will support. The only thing mentioned thus far by Devialet on the ethernet streaming front is uPNP/DLNA. I think the chances of them implementing an open, advanced streaming protocol like AES67, Dante or Ravenna are close to zero.