Devialet Chat
New Pro - SQ for classical music - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Devialet Expert 400/800, Original d'Atelier, Expert 210/440/1000 Pro (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Expert-400-800-Original-d-Atelier-Expert-210-440-1000-Pro)
+--- Thread: New Pro - SQ for classical music (/Thread-New-Pro-SQ-for-classical-music)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: New Pro - SQ for classical music - moreno1973 - 10-Nov-2016

(10-Nov-2016, 11:32)Confused Wrote: I think it is fair to say that moreno1973 is a huge fan of firmware 7.1.3

I am a huge fan of music not sounds. And 200 with 7.1.3. is offering me more music. That's it.

RE: New Pro - SQ for classical music - Confused - 10-Nov-2016

(10-Nov-2016, 18:55)moreno1973 Wrote:
(10-Nov-2016, 11:32)Confused Wrote:  (plus I suspect moreno1973 may not have had the pleasure of listening to a Pro yet, but I might be wrong) 

You are wrong:-)

I heard 440. Just digital sound full of details. But no great musicality (musicality IMO means natural sound of acoustic instruments). And its price  £11,980.00   

THIS IS MADNESS, NO... THIS IS DEVIALET Wink

Do You want great natural sounding amp for good price? Compare 220 with firmware 10.0.5 with this:

http://www.accuphase.com/model/e-370.html

Well I did say that I might be wrong. Shy   So I shall stand corrected sir!  Plus, I have to say that the Accuphase is a nice looking piece of kit, I have always had a bit of a thing for VU meters. 

However, I would suggest that the 'no great musicality' that you find with the Pro does not explain the 'decoding artifacts' reported by Arcam.  Although, the above would certainly be a worthy addition to the 'goodbye to Devialet - after upgrade program' thread.  Oddly enough, your description of 'natural sound of acoustic instruments' describes precisely what I hear and consider a strength with the Pro!  Having said that, I fully respect your opinion, your ears, your money etc., plus, I am still searching for the one hifi product that everyone fully agrees is good, a search that will never end I'm sure!

RE: New Pro - SQ for classical music - arcam - 11-Nov-2016

(10-Nov-2016, 11:32)Confused Wrote: It sounded fine, but there was maybe something in the sound that was less than perfect, a kind of digital edge.  (although nothing I would describe as 'digital artifacts').  In casual listening it sounded perfect, but listen hard, and yes, maybe there is something.

Digital edge, this strikes a chord. I will definitely post a list of problematic CDs once I'm done with the other chores (like rebuilding my iTunes library).

RE: New Pro - SQ for classical music - kerkhoffd - 11-Nov-2016

Against all enthousiastic sounds from upgraders, I am with Moreno on this one. Listened to Pro and with upgrade budget for 200 > 220 Pro in mind I would go for 400 any time. Oh, I did actually! I listen almost exclusively to classical music and especially find that on more complex classical music on the 400, the separation of instruments is superior to 200 and 220. But also the dynamics needed for classical music and authority is so much better.

Listening to Beethoven cello & piano sonatas by Richter and Rostropovitch right now, 1963 recording:

- CD by Philips, purchased in 1988, played using iTunes
- remastering by Decca, in 1994, played using Qobuz player

(not to mention later Philips and Decca remasterings from 2012/2013)

The difference is striking. The Philips CD has a mellow, old fashion tune, a bit boring to be honest. In the Decca remastering, the players are in the room. What a beautiful cello sound !

I've been rewiring my Nautilus and trying different combinations:

1. speaker wires to bass/mid terminals
  2. speaker wires to treble
  3. diagonal wiring (as recommended in another thread)
I have found 1. does not work well with the Nautilus, I loose a lot of bass and clarity (why?). I am currently using 3. but 2. is good also (and recommended by B&W for the Nautilus. They later changed their mind for later models).

But having listen to music for the whole afternoon, I am getting a lot of listening fatigue and turning the sound lower and lower, which is not a good sign. Any idea where this could be coming from?

RE: New Pro - SQ for classical music - yabaVR - 11-Nov-2016

(11-Nov-2016, 18:20)arcam Wrote: I've been rewiring my Nautilus and trying different combinations:

1. speaker wires to bass/mid terminals
  2. speaker wires to treble
  3. diagonal wiring (as recommended in another thread)
I have found 1. does not work well with the Nautilus, I loose a lot of bass and clarity (why?). I am currently using 3. but 2. is good also (and recommended by B&W for the Nautilus. They later changed their mind for later models).

But having listen to music for the whole afternoon, I am getting a lot of listening fatigue and turning the sound lower and lower, which is not a good sign. Any idea where this could be coming from?

I know exactly what you mean. And it's the exact opposite to me as I turn my D louder and louder while listening/zapping through my music.

Could you post a photo of your rig if possible. I have some things in mind but to many to go over one by one without having a picture of your conditions. I could be more precise then.

gui

(11-Nov-2016, 19:09)yabaVR Wrote: Could you post a photo of your rig if possible.

Rig ?

RE: New Pro - SQ for classical music - yabaVR - 11-Nov-2016

(11-Nov-2016, 19:32)arcam Wrote:
(11-Nov-2016, 19:09)yabaVR Wrote: Could you post a photo of your rig if possible.

Rig ?

Your system (rack, components, cables, all that's involved in the music system)  Big Grin

RE: New Pro - SQ for classical music - arcam - 13-Nov-2016

Whilst rewiring the speakers, I discovered that my Oehlbach cables had become oxydized. I went to my dealer who gently lent me some AQ Type 4. They instanteously produced a softer, less bassy, but still somewhat fatiguing sound. I then went to the configurator and enabled SAM.

I hadn't played with SAM before because my Nautilus 805 have not been SAM'ed. After googling for a while, I was able to reconstitute the Nautilus' history and discover the 805 Signature had been SAM'ed and they're almost identical to the original Nautilus. I used that for SAM and...

... was amazed how much the sound did improve! It was yet another step up in clarity, precision, sound stage and bass. Still, there may be some listening fatigue, but it's definitely a much welcome and amazing improvement.

I have yet to report which albums seem digitized. This may take a while yet because I have to share space with the other members of the family and they don't quite like me zapping from album to album. A situation that may sound (sic) familiair to many.

PS. My dealer recommends AQ Rocket single-biwiring. Is this what I should be looking for? Anything better to recommend?

@yabaVR, I don't know how to include pictures, here's a textual description for now:
- Synology / Qobuz > Apple Express 5 GHz (AE) > Macbook Air iTunes / Qobuz Desktop > AE > D-Link > Pro > Oehlbach or AQ Type 4 > Nautilus 805