Devialet Chat
Speaker cable binding posts - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Tweaker's Corner (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Tweaker-s-Corner)
+--- Thread: Speaker cable binding posts (/Thread-Speaker-cable-binding-posts)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Speaker cable binding posts - Sablon Audio - 03-Jun-2014

(02-Jun-2014, 21:04)Jwg1749 Wrote: Any thoughts why capacitance should be reduced with the covers off? The contact area between speaker cable and terminal isn't changed, is it?

Matt

Hi Matt,

Capacitance arises due to 'skin effect', which sees the majority of current flows occurring around the surface of the binding post where they interact with the plastic of the screw covers (as well as the banana plugs). Since air has a far lower dielectric coefficient than any plastic, capacitance is reduced when the plastic is taken away.

Cheers
Mark

RE: Speaker cable binding posts - Ekmanc - 03-Jun-2014

It's not just plastic that is removed either there's a fair amount of copper in the end cap as well.

RE: Speaker cable binding posts - Jwg1749 - 03-Jun-2014

(03-Jun-2014, 12:02)Sablon Audio Wrote:
(02-Jun-2014, 21:04)Jwg1749 Wrote: Any thoughts why capacitance should be reduced with the covers off? The contact area between speaker cable and terminal isn't changed, is it?

Matt

Hi Matt,

Capacitance arises due to 'skin effect', which sees the majority of current flows occurring around the surface of the binding post where they interact with the plastic of the screw covers (as well as the banana plugs). Since air has a far lower dielectric coefficient than any plastic, capacitance is reduced when the plastic is taken away.

Cheers
Mark

Cheers, Mark.
Are you sure you're not confusing skin effect (which is internal to the conductor) and the electromagnetic field surrounding the conductor? It's the electromagnetic field that carries the signal, and electromagnetic fields can pass through plastic, can't they?
Matt

Again the problem isn't the plastic, it's the metal Tongue

I'm even more confused now. Mark says it's the plastic, and you say it's the metal. How could removing a small metal element change the conductive properties of the terminal?

I'm not trying to be awkward; I just like to know why I'm doing something before I do it.

Matt

Read up on the eichmann bulletplugs and wbt nextgen technology and you'll get some insight into why all modern connector design goes towards low-mass designs.

My best guess is that more mass/metal retains the energy for much longer aka higher capacitance.

(03-Jun-2014, 17:25)Ekmanc Wrote: Read up on the eichmann bulletplugs and wbt nextgen technology and you'll get some insight into why all modern connector design goes towards low-mass designs.

My best guess is that more mass/metal retains the energy for much longer aka higher capacitance.

I haven't been able to find any scientific evidence to support the idea that low mass connectors are electronically superior. I did find this:
http://kleinnovations.com/klei-philosophy/
But the so-called "Eichmann ratio" ™ seems unsubstantiated.

I don't want to have a fight about this. I'd just like to find some concrete and impartial evidence.

Matt

RE: Speaker cable binding posts - GuillaumeB - 04-Jun-2014

(03-Jun-2014, 23:21)Jwg1749 Wrote:
(03-Jun-2014, 17:25)Ekmanc Wrote: Read up on the eichmann bulletplugs and wbt nextgen technology and you'll get some insight into why all modern connector design goes towards low-mass designs.

I haven't been able to find any scientific evidence to support the idea that low mass connectors are electronically superior. I did find this:
http://kleinnovations.com/klei-philosophy/
But the so-called "Eichmann ratio" ™ seems unsubstantiated.

I don't want to have a fight about this. I'd just like to find some concrete and impartial evidence.

Matt

Please don't fight about this Matt. Smile This is a super friendly forum.

Guillaume

RE: Speaker cable binding posts - james n - 04-Jun-2014

Certainly worth doing and completely reversible too. Thanks for the tip.

James

RE: Speaker cable binding posts - Jwg1749 - 04-Jun-2014

(04-Jun-2014, 00:11)GuillaumeB Wrote: Please don't fight about this Matt. Smile This is a super friendly forum.

Guillaume

Guillaume,
I'm simply trying to ascertain whether it's worth doing. Ekmanc asked me to go off and read up about low mass connectors, which I then did, and I reported back -- politely.
There's a difference between a friendly discussion and a fight. I'll only ever do the former. I have absolutely no time for rude internet trolls. On the other hand, I'd have thought a bit of gentle scepticism should be encouraged on this site.
Matt Angel