Devialet Chat
Antoine's system - Printable Version

+- Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com)
+-- Forum: Devialet Chat (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Chat)
+--- Forum: Your Systems (https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Your-Systems)
+--- Thread: Antoine's system (/Thread-Antoine-s-system)

RE: Antoine's system - Confused - 04-May-2016

(04-May-2016, 18:40)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Its a beauty!

Also sorry for posting multiple places, but since I'd posted here earlier, the Sonore PS was apparently a typo on the website, and it's actually $1,399!!

Suddenly that seems cheap!

The financial equivalent of expectation bias......

RE: Antoine's system - Antoine - 04-May-2016

Haha, so I estimated the Sonore PSU MSRP well (1400-1500USD) in the end after all! Smile Still too much IMO, but at least more reasonable. I saw it's available as a 230/240V version as well.

Anyway, I myself have just ordered and paid for the Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4. Paul will modify the current rails of the already built device to my specifications and he offered to make the following configuration:

Rail 1: 3.3-12V @ 2.9-8A for my 'unknown future application', initially set to 9V
Rail 2: 5-12V @ 2A for the microRendu, initially set to 7V
Rail 3: 3.3-12V @ 2A for the DSpeaker Anti-Mode, initially set to 12V
Rail 4: 3.3-12V @ 2A for the Mutec, initially set to 6.2V

This configuration will give me maximum flexibility as all rails will be variable so can be set to any voltage in the specified ranges. One DC7C and three DC3C leads will be included all with the requested 5.5x2.1mm plugs.

Lead time will be 15-20 working days starting from receiving the payment, I sure hope he will hold this lead time as I am a very impatient person. Blush

RE: Antoine's system - Hifi_swlon - 04-May-2016

I do like the idea of combining things into one box, although I guess you're a bit done for if you decide to rearrange and separate your setup....
How will you adjust the voltages Antoine - is it switches inside?

Well, the way things are looking if you get it in 15-20 days, that should give you a few weeks to run it in before your microRendu arrives  Big Grin  Big Grin

RE: Antoine's system - Antoine - 04-May-2016

True and valid argument. But I deliberately made this choice. If I would ever choose to rearrange my setup I could end up with 'empty rails' but I don't consider this an issue personally. If I'd someday end up with all rails empty I'd just sell the Hynes (I didn't pay the new price so wouldn't need to face considerable write offs). We all swap other devices as well and this device is no different to me in that regard.

Thus far I've always seem to have had a need for external PSU's in my system and the number of active external PSU's plus those 'in storage on a cupboard or in a box' waiting for a possible purpose is increasing rather than decreasing. Smile

Another thing, if the microRendu doesn't outperform my current DIY music server solution I can use the Hynes PSU to power it as well. Should be a nice upgrade too.

Changing the voltages should be easy, though it needs to be done inside the device but this doesn't scare me in the least. Smile Paul wrote this about it: "Any future voltage adjustments would be internal but it is simple enough to remove the back panel to slide the lid out of the extrusions allowing access.".

Regarding the waiting time for the microRendu, hahaha, I don't hope so! Big Grin

RE: Antoine's system - octaviars - 05-May-2016

(04-May-2016, 12:06)Antoine Wrote: More product info:

Quote:The SR2 power supply can provide 1.4 amps DC and is available in the following DC voltages :- 3v3, 5v, 6v, 7v, 9v, 12v, 15v, 18v and 21v. The SR2 is supplied with a mains lead and a DC lead terminated with a DC plug to suit your equipment DC jack. Alternative connectors can be fitted if required at extra cost. The SR2 power supply costs £195.

The latest model of the SR3 power supply is available in the following DC voltage/current ratings :-
3v3 2A, 5v 3A, 6v 2A, 7v 2A, 9v 2A, 12v 2A, 15v 1.6A, 18v 1.4A, 21v 1.4A. The SR3 is a higher performance power supply than the SR2 and it is not supplied with a mains lead, as most customers prefer to use after market upgrade IEC mains leads with the SR3. The SR3 costs £300. The DC lead is also a separate item as several options are available for the SR3. The DC3C annealed copper DC lead costs £50 and the DC3FS annealed fine silver DC lead costs £85. The internal wiring from the regulator module to the DC output connector can be specified as fine silver for an additional £10 when the power supply is ordered or £20 plus return carriage when retro-fitted.

Quote:The SR5 and SR7 high performance power supplies are now available from Paul Hynes Audio Ltd.

The SR5 can be supplied with the following continuous power ratings :-

5v @ 6A, 6v @ 6A, 9v @ 6A, 12v @ 6A, 15v @ 6A, 18v @ 5A, 21v @ 4.5A, 27v @ 3.8A, 30v @ 3.3A.

The SR5 can power a wide variety of equipment including DACs, Streamers like the Squeezebox range, the Mac Mini, single voltage DC input audio server low power motherboards, Raspberry Pi audio servers, USB cards, as a power source for the Pico ATX voltage converter in low power audio servers.

For a review of the SR5 powering the Mac Mini and also an SR5 powering a Squeezebox Touch see :-  http://hifipig.com/paul-hynes-ph5-power-supply/#more-15703

The SR5 costs £600 and the DC5C annealed copper DC lead costs £75. The DC5FS annealed fine silver DC lead costs £145.

The SR7 can be supplied with the following continuous power ratings :-

5v @ 12A, 6v @ 12A, 9v @ 12A, 12v @ 11A, 15v @ 9A, 18v @ 8A, 21v @ 7A, 27v @ 6A, 30v @ 5A.

The SR7 can power a wide variety of equipment including DACs, Streamers like the Squeezebox range, the Mac Mini, single voltage DC input audio server higher power motherboards, Raspberry Pi audio servers, USB cards, as a power source for Pico ATX voltage converters providing power for higher power audio servers.

The SR7 costs £750 and the DC7C annealed copper DC lead costs £100. The DC7FS annealed fine silver DC lead costs £229.

Other DC output voltages can be catered for on request.

These power supplies are shipped via parcel carriers and the cost will vary depending on the destination. We can quote for shipping if you include the destination with your initial enquiry.

And a picture of the insides of the beast I'm getting:

[Image: 270512download009.jpg]

That looks really nice, I need to get my microRendu and start trying it before I decide what PSU to get. Hynes 4 rail solution is looking rather tempting but I will perhaps get a sonicTransport that needs 12V, then I have 5 components that needs power. My NAS is also 12V but I dont know if it is so good to run both the NAS and sonicTransport on the same output.
Another solution would be to start with a SR3 7V 2A to drive the microRendu and in the future get a 4 rail for the other equipment.

RE: Antoine's system - octaviars - 07-May-2016

When are you getting the PSU from Paul? Think I will wait for your input how it works before I decide what PSU solution I will get for my stuff.

RE: Antoine's system - Antoine - 09-May-2016

Hi Octaviars, see post #182. Smile Lead time will be 15-20 working days starting from receiving the payment, I sure hope he will hold this lead time as I am a very impatient person.

RE: Antoine's system - octaviars - 09-May-2016

(09-May-2016, 12:20)Antoine Wrote: Hi Octaviars, see post #182. Smile Lead time will be 15-20 working days starting from receiving the payment, I sure hope he will hold this lead time as I am a very impatient person.

So in the end of May you might get it. Looking forward to see what you think about it.

RE: Antoine's system - Antoine - 09-May-2016

I really hope so! Although, it's three to four weeks so it could be June as well. It's not fixed/guaranteed though and was stated as 'approximately'. Since it's a one man company (Paul Hynes Design, not Paul Hynes Audio) illness etc. would increase the wait time.

RE: Antoine's system - Antoine - 10-May-2016

(10-May-2016, 15:43)octaviars Wrote:
(10-May-2016, 15:41)Antoine Wrote:
(10-May-2016, 15:32)octaviars Wrote: Ok, is the rails in your PSU adjustable? It would be nice to have something like 3-12VDC range so it fits many different things.

<cut>

Yes, again see: http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=46&pid=40242#pid40242

I know I remembered that you already had mentioned that......do you know if this is possible in all of his supplys to get them adjustable?

Rail 1: 3.3-12V @ 2.9-8A for my 'unknown future application', initially set to 9V
Rail 2: 5-12V @ 2A for the microRendu, initially set to 7V
Rail 3: 3.3-12V @ 2A for the DSpeaker Anti-Mode, initially set to 12V
Rail 4: 3.3-12V @ 2A for the Mutec, initially set to 6.2V

It's best to ask Paul. I believe all can be adjusted over a certain small range but he's customizing my PSU to support these wide ranges using different regulators for the low power rails and modifying the high power regulator module. It also depends on the used transformer.

Do remember he (Paul Hynes Design Ltd.) doesn't do custom build service anymore. I believe he made an exception here since I am buying one of his own PSU's from his own system. I'm not sure what modifications (if any) are possible through Paul Hynes Audio Ltd.

What he wrote about my PSU modifications:

Quote:I can modify this power supply to suit your requirements without changing the mains transformer but I would need to change a couple of the regulator modules

Quote:The mains transformer has twin secondaries for each rail allowing the use of TO220 dual Schottky diode rectifiers for high current applications. It is possible to use the two secondaries in series and use a bridge rectifier to provide higher voltages, so quite adaptable really.

Rail 1 is always mounted on the main heat sink as this high current regulator can dissipate considerable power when operating. Rail 2 is also mounted on the heat sink and rail 3 and 4 are mounted on the side extrusions.

With this in mind I would be inclined to modify Rail 1 to allow 3v3 to 12v for your application 4. You can then use this rail for 12v at 8A but if you reduce the output voltage the maximum current should be de-rated to allow for the additional heat generated when operating the output device with the larger input to output voltage this will cause. For 5v the max current should be 3.3A and for 3v3 it should be 2.9A. I can modify this module to allow adjustment over this range of voltage.

The high power regulator has a larger die mosfet output device than the low power regulators and this slows the transient response a little due to input capacitance. For this reason I would use the lower power rails for the lower power equipment. All the regulator modules use the same circuit topology and the same ultra low noise error amplifier. Out of interest there is some discussion on the Internet about the latest ultra low noise Texas Instruments regulators. My regulators are typically >4dB quieter than these across the whole operating bandwidth.

In my first email I asked about the voltage range for a SR-3 7V and he answered:

Quote:There is a precision adjustment potentiometer on the regulator module that is used for adjusting the power supply output voltage. This is usually sized to give the small range required for adjustment to nominal voltage. However it is possible to size the adjustment range on an SR3-07 from approx 3v5 to 8v5 so this will cover the range you require.
Unfortunately this requires partial disassembly of the power supply. You would need to remove the front panel of the power supply and unscrew the regulator module from the side of the chassis to allow access for adjustment.